1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

KNOWN ISSUE: Peripheral Lighting and Performance

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Mar 28, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

If you enable Peripheral Lighting in the Options menu and you do not have a Peripheral Lighting capable device (mouse, keyboard, etc.) connected then you will suffer severe performance degradation.

Additionally some users might experience performance degradation with Peripheral Lighting enabled, even if they have a peripheral lighting capable device connected (example some newer Razer laptops).

For now we recommend that anyone experience performance issues make sure they have Peripheral Lighting disabled in the options menu as a first step in troubleshooting.

NOTE: Peripheral Lighting defaults to off in the options menu when you first install the game so most folks should not have to disable this feature.

2. stile

stile Avatar

Thank you for the heads up.

When working on this feature, if it's left in, please consider full support for the Corsair lines, such as the K95, and k95 Extended. Thanks!

Womby likes this.
  3. Echondas

Echondas Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Wow - nice find!

I always thought that had to do with lighting in-game, since it's in the video options - and flipped it on, figuring it would improve some image quality with respect to lighting in the periphery or something :p

It would help if the video options menu got tooltips, like the rest of the options menu, so you kinda knew what everything did (suggestion?)

4. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

I turned that off the first day of sota cos it messed with the colours on my keyboard .. i turned it on after this to see how bad this was, turning it off again crashed sota .. I agree with Echondas, it needs explaining and for me, the colours it chooses to turn everything need explaining too! combat is strong green, but while still at full health can be banana yellow, usually its kinda pale puss coloured....

iansmellios and Womby like this.
  5. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

So that's what that option is for.

iansmellios and Echondas like this.
  6. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

Wow. I thought that has something to do with realtime lightning that the unity engine can do. But need to setup in the map, and the user can only switch the "multiplier" (how often light bounces from object to object). Thought, it is either 0 or the value the scene designer has choosen. (link)
    You should realy move it to the controls section if this is a feature for input devices not for output devices like video.

But thanks for clarification, so i can switch it off. Do not have any capable device.

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  7. Koss

Koss Avatar

No problems here... running a Nvidia 750ti - and I turned it on. :)

8. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

I thought Peripheral Lighting had to do with lighting in-game that you saw on screen off to the side! As in peripheral vision. LOLOLOLOLOL. *Changes setting to see if performance gets better*

oplek likes this.
  9. Floors

Floors Avatar

I guarantee you everyone thinks this is a cool graphics card feature and not for lighting up, uh, peripherals.

iansmellios and LoneStranger like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.