"Learn Safe Fall" help text first time you fall to your death (with review to show you why)

Discussion in 'Archived Topics' started by Vladamir Begemot, Jun 9, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

New players die all the time from falling. They have no way to know that an alternative exists until they stumble upon Safe Fall in the MANY skills, or someone tells them.

So tell them the first time they fall to their death. Perfect time for that.

Lained likes this.
  2. redfish

redfish Avatar

Not sure that's the right way to tell players.... Safe Fall shouldn't be seen as a solution to a game problem, but as an optional skill for a certain type of build.

If deaths from falling seem way too arbitrary -- like trip over a rock, then die -- then its something that the devs have to fix, and not make up for by having the game say "hey, you can always learn Safe Fall." Making falling animations should also make this experience more intuitive, whenever the devs get around to it, since you should be able to tell how you're going to get hurt by how you fall. Additionally, there are hundreds of skills a player could be introduced to the game, and help text is a lousy way to do it. The new user experience around creating builds needs to be thought about from the ground up. There are certain UI changes they can do and certain narrative devices they can use too IMO.

3. liz_the_wiz

liz_the_wiz Avatar

the easiest way to learn safe fall is to train it, run to whitegard hills and run round and round and round and jump every time you see a slope downwards.. its amazing how quick that skill will level and being a low zone if something comes after you a) you are running anyway and b) you can probably kill it if you wanted

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

People don't know it exists until after they've rage quit due to falling damage.

I guess it could be increased some, but if I hadn't started off falling to my death I wouldn't be so excited about leaping off cliffs into battle later. It would just be another "meh, everyone does it."

Synergy Blaize likes this.
  5. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

I wonder why someone would even begin to play a game with skills without having an very close look at the skill trees.

Magic does not interest me much and i looked through each tree even.

I mean it is an game that uses trained skill to determine the outcome of actions.

Duh!

liz_the_wiz likes this.
  6. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Is leveling it a tactical decision that comes at a cost of limiting other skills? Not really.

Then the game is designed for everyone to eventually get it... whether intended by the devs or not.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.