Lets Discuss the Resurrection Ankhs

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by One Zero, Dec 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

Take for example you are flagged PVP and get killed. Your first obvious response is to move your ghost to the nearest ankh. Meanwhile, your assailant also knows the location of the nearest ankh and heads over there too while remaining in combat mode buffing up and stacking glyphs. You resurrect and have lost a piece of your armor, have no buffs and standing there out of combat mode. Bam. Bam. Bam. You get stunned and hit with a few 4 or 5 stack attacks and are dead again within seconds. Doesn't seem like a very fair mechanic does it?

Now, if you resurrect again your assailant is probably still sitting there at the ankh. Probably not a good idea to resurrect a second time. So, what are your options? One, would be to move your ghost over to a much more remote ankh on the other side of the scene. Another would be to exit the scene as a ghost. However, when you do that there is a nasty debuff (I think its a 5 minute penalty to dexterity??).

We need to throw out some ideas to the Port devs on how to tweak the resurrection mechanic. Why? Well, there have been forum threads recently where players are complaining or want to quit the game due to being repeatedly "rez killed" to the point where they feel "griefed". We need to come up with a new mechanic such that killing a player a second time upon respawning at an ankh can not be done immediately. There should be some sort of "grace period".

One suggestion would be that when you resurrect at an ankh you are immune to any damage and can not do any damage to anyone for 30 seconds. This would allow you some time to replace the armor you lost (or pay the price of oracle, get it back and put it back on), buff up again and get ready. Or, considering most ankhs are near an exit this would allow you time to just leave the scene without that penalty for exiting as a ghost.

Any thoughts are appreciated.

Preachyr, Audacity, Womby and 7 others like this.
  2. kl4nk

kl4nk Avatar

I always buy back my gear has a ghost, that way im prepare to reequip. I like the idea of being immune for a longer period. Its simple and effective.

jammaplaya, Numa and Crowquills like this.
  3. Kambrius

Kambrius Avatar

Port has come up with the Resurrection Chaos thing that can be used on lots or Dynamic POTs in order for the player to spawn at a random location. The same mechanic needs to apply to all rez nodes so this method of spawn camping does not occur.

Audacity, Spoon, Beaumaris and 2 others like this.
  4. Korim Rackham

Korim Rackham Avatar

My first thought is " I must consider my sins"

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  5. Blake Blackstone

Blake Blackstone Avatar

I think you get the rez sickness no matter if you exit the scene or rez at the Ankh? Might be wrong as I am a perpetual newb.

I do think that anytime you enter a scene you should get 30 seconds of immunity. It would give peeps a chance to charge up glphs. As it stands, the reason you get ganked is not due to lag, you can't even attempt to compete bc the aggressors are already stacked and ready. I think Port will come around to it. Its an easy fix and makes a lot of sense.

6. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Ideally, I'd say there would be both Resurrection Ankhs and Resurrection Chaoses in all scenes, and which would appear depends on your flag. Ankhs would be used as a content gate, so you can resurrect within a given area, and Chaoses would be used for PvP and would resurrect you further away, more like randomized FPS map spawn points.

Short term, they could simply make all Ankhs work like Chaoses while you are flagged for PvP.

7. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

If randomly placed ankhs become an option for those flagged PVP then -

1. How do you know which are normal ankhs and which are random? Should the icon on the compass be different? (I think the strategy would be to find the "chaotic" ankhs on the compass and find one in a somewhat more remote location. Not always choose the closest).
    2. What if the randomized ankh spawns you right in the middle a pack of mobs? You spawn and suddenly are getting pounded by a bunch of skeletons?
    3. What if you have really bad luck and the randomized ankh you choose spawns you near another different PVP player who sees you just popped up in the scene without your chest piece on? They will know you just did a random spawn and are easy prey.
    4. If randomized ankhs become an option should there still be a "grace period" of immunity to receiving or doing damage?

8. One Zero

One Zero Avatar

Just tested this. Got killed in PVP. Left the scene immediately as a ghost. It gave me a penalty for 6 minutes 20 seconds which de-buffed my strength, dexterity and intelligence. This de-buff started at -63 to each. Gradually, that decreased. At about 2 minutes the de-buffs were at -16.

Then, got killed again and resurrected using the ankh. It gives a 15 minute debuff which is just a resurrection delay. This only causes your resurrection spawn time to increase. The more you use the ankh the longer this delay becomes. And to clarify, this does not mean you can not resurrect for 15 minutes. You can start the resurrection process immediately. There is just a longer time to spawn for the next 15 minutes. First respawn takes like 20 seconds. Second is a bit longer. (Need to get some exact data on this).

Last edited: Dec 6, 2016
  9. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

I agree that theres simply solutions to fixing this exact isssue, and it falls in with zoning in and dieing as well.

I find especially if your on a slower connection, your char will load in before your screen loads.. meaning that invul doesnt benifit you. This is major disadvantage.

One of the few things weins has posted worth repeating -
    when pvp flagged, you should spawn at a random entrance.
    Of coarse then we will hear the debate that this is an advantage to PVPers over PVE's because now i might spawn near the good spots quicker!

The anch thing, i agree needs some kinda change... lota good suggestions out there.. as the zones are too small, so camping the anch is easy.

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  10. Filter Bubble Algorithm

Filter Bubble Algorithm Avatar

I think the only solution to this problem and the only way there can be a complete avoidance of any added exploits would be to make a watcher appear and instantly 1 shot the person who attacks someone who just ressed within 30secs. :D

11. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

My vote goes to a buff that prevents the resurrected player from being attacked for 90 (negotiable) seconds, unless they end it by attacking something/someone, or move a certain (negotiable) distance away from the anhk. The player can use this time to pay the oracle, re-equip, or plan their escape, or even better their revenge, and if the pays the oracle while they are still a ghost this gives them at least a few more seconds to think of their next move.

Armar and MrBlight like this.
  12. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

how about if the ankh gives you a choice to rez in place or directly on the overworld, with only the normal ankh debuff?

13. Numa

Numa Avatar

And just to add to the twist.

I would suggest that malfunctioning resurrection ankhs should randomly occur -- tainted ankhs that fail to completely resurrect you and instead turn you into some form of zombie. You would then need to perform a quest in order to find a cure or true resurrection. As a further twist, a player would have no way of telling whether a randomly occurring ankh is tainted or not.

Player-owned ankhs would remain inviolate (unless the player's virtue level has dropped to too low perhaps) thereby creating a livelier market for purchasable resurrection ankhs

Ahuaeynjgkxs likes this.
  14. jammaplaya

jammaplaya Avatar

To me, this is kind of similar to UO, in the sense that to avoid being rezkilled, you might need to run to the next nearest healer or anhk, which could be ~5 mins away.

But it's also a step up from UO mechanics, in that, if you wanted to, you could pay the oracle as a ghost, and then rez and re-enter the fight immediately (with full HP/mana.), as opposed to UO where you rez with low HP to prevent you from being able to run back to your corpse and get the loot, which spawns with you here so it isn't necessary.

So if you tried adding a system where you couldn't attack/be attacked on rez for some amount of time, you'd just be slowing people down from getting back into the fight. My preference would be to slow down those who just want to leave anyways, like it is now, because it doesn't limit the action.

Numa likes this.
  15. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

so many simple solutions to fix it hehehe

16. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Good ideas on this thread, I'm for harsher death penalties, but indeed being rez killed seems like an oversight on part of the devs.

The oracle can "stop time" and handle your ransom FOR THE PKER, but it can't prevent rez kills ?

makes NO sense...

fix it please

"I'm not protecting you anymore but I'll handle your loot" WHAT ?!

Numa likes this.
  17. Balec Fares deCani

Balec Fares deCani Avatar

this might be part of the problem

Armar likes this.
  18. LiquidSky

LiquidSky Avatar

Just have a death deflag you. You can always reflag by attacking the pvp'r

Preachyr and Womby like this.
  19. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

The problem with the chaos anhk solution is group pvp. I want to spawn in the same place as the rest of my team.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  20. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

I usually just run to a different Ankh instead of the closest one.

I like the idea of an invuln timer after you rez, but I don't think you should be able to buff. Using any ability should waive the invuln IMO. It should just allow you to run off, or leave the scene.

You did just die after all, I don't think you should get any free time to buff.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.