1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Let's talk about combat!

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Chris, Nov 27, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Nope, the combat is not turn based, it is real time like most other games like this.

Some people have suggested it should be if it uses random skill/spell draws, but I don't think that is necessary.

2. Datus

Datus Avatar

Is it? I hope you're right. Real time, as in - my reflexes / player skill matters? So far I've read, "auto attack" and "fight by number".

To clarify, WoW (fight by number, skill bar, etc.) is not real time fighting. Gothic, Risen, and Ultima 8 and 9 are. So if it's a hybrid of having to actually time hits, and blocks, etc. with added skills/actions, then excellent!

Ara likes this.
  3. Ara

Ara Avatar

Not being able to use all your skills is good? In what way?

It limit my actions and having this randomness with not desired combat cards popping up in a game remove just about all tactics and skill fullness from the game.

Then you have the focus of the battle removed to card watching, how can that be better then having all your skills on the keyboard?

All skills should of course be available and the card combat system should be removed from the game asap and be replaced with a player skill based combat system.

blaquerogue likes this.
  4. Ara

Ara Avatar

And why not have all your skills on the keyboard instead?

Why let the game decide what skills i should use. Why this randomness and limitation and why choose a card system that remove my combat focus.

So far i havent seen any answers to why this decision were taken. I am amazed they choose this system instead of a combat system that would promote more player skills.

blaquerogue likes this.
  5. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

Hahah, so because skills have a cool down, that means it isn't real time combat? That's probably the first time I've ever heard it described that way.

Here you go, I'll give you a widely accepted definition:

"Real-time combat is a style of enemy engagement used in role-playing games as an alternative to turn-based combat."

Examples are, Dragon Warrior/Quest is Turn based, early Final Fantasy games are turn based. One person or NPC makes a movie, then it's your turn to make a movie, it's turn based. real-time means as soon as you make a move or action it occurs immediately instead of waiting for your turn. That is the technical definition of turn-based vs real-time. Your definition makes no logical sense.

Squire likes this.
  6. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

There are a lot of player skills involved with this system. The majority are decision making skills instead of a rotation of using your skills like in other games. They want you to decide on the fly whether or not you should use a skill at that time, save it for later, discard it so you can get something else, and also the decisions of how many of each skill to put in to achieve your best results for your play style. If you don't accept these answers and good reasons then you can wait till March and decide for yourself if you like it or not. I am 90% certain the strongest opponents to this system will continue to oppose it even after playing it and seeing how well this system can work. It's a shame, but many people are stubborn and set in their ways. I'll admit I could be wrong about this, I'll admit it if I'm wrong. I'm stubborn in some ways but I like to admit when I'm wrong (It's so rare). I know a lot of people are afraid to accept or admit that they are wrong, so even if people enjoy this system after they see it, I foresee people will still claim it's a bad system. It's a shame really, I almost wish they never revealed anything until people got to play it so people couldn't form pre-conceived notions of what it will be like.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  7. Squire

Squire Avatar

"Real time" means "the action happens simultaneously". "Turn based" means "each player takes his actions separately, and the other players await their turn before acting".

Baldur's Gate, Neverwinter Nights, the Elder Scrolls games, World of Warcraft, Dragon Age, and even games like Warcraft 3 and Command and Conquer, are all real time.

You seem to be confusing "real time" with "skill based". Having to time hits, blocks, etc works for games like Mount and Blade, and for the Elder Scrolls games. It wouldn't work for this. In games like this, your character's prowess generally depends on how you've created and developed him, not on your motor skills. That may not be everyone's cup of tea, and that's fine, but there are plenty of games that rely solely on player dexterity. tbh, I think Elder Scrolls Online may interest you more than this game, as may Gloria Victis (which is more like Mount and Blade).

Of course, there's no reason why you can't enjoy all 3 games, as I intend to (...well, maybe not ESO...) but so far, unless they change it, this game isn't going to rely on fast reflexes, twitch factor and superior motor skills, but on the choices you make and the way in which you develop your character. Which is as it should be for a game like this.

Lord Baldrith and Mishri like this.
  8. Curt

Curt Avatar

Is always trying to keep a open mind for new stuff. Here i wonder how fast paced it will be and how easy it will be to target friends and foes.

Mishri likes this.
  9. Doppelganger [MGT]

Doppelganger [MGT] Avatar

When it comes to combat, I'm a little concerned about the current character control scheme. While the current character control feels good for browsing a town and running around housing, I don't think its going to translate very well to combat. Imagine if release 2 had battle. With the current control feel, do you think battle would go smoothly? I feel like it would be clunky and a bit messy. I think the controls need to be tightened up a bit and more "responsive". I think a good benchmark of excellent character control for combat was Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning. The control was very responsive, snappy and accurate.

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  10. Mishri

Mishri Avatar

It would be fine for me, I thought the controls were great during R2. (I didn't suffer from the slow turn/camera issues others did that were fixed in a patch). I'm pretty sure they are comparable to WoW, although it's been awhile since I last played it.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.