Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Let's talk about in door farming

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Earl Atogrim von Draken, Dec 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Oh, this might earn me a lot of rage but somebody has to say it: Farming in the basement ? Really? Without any light source?
    I mean srsly...
    I understand that people without big lots want to be able to do agriculture. And I even agree they should be able.
    And of course I have an idea! Otherwise posting here would be senseless ;-)
    First one is stolen. I have no idea who I stole it from but as soon as the person drops by and says 'hi' I will give credit ;-)

1. The rooftop garden. Give us row houses with an open roof so people can grow their weed ehhh crops there.
    2. Give different plants different circumstances for growing. E.g. Corn needs sun, mushrooms needs a basement.
    We could even have plants that only can grow in the dark and wet confines of a basement.

But cotton bushes growing in the average basement? Meh. Nah. I am out. Really.
    I don't care that much about immersion but that's over the top.

Melissa, Kaisa, Leelu and 2 others like this.
  2. Ceara_Quein

Ceara_Quein Avatar

Mushrooms don't need a basement! Or they wouldn't appear on your lawn in the fall (Shaggy Mane mushroom.) You can purchase a pre-spawned plastic bag of culinary mushrooms from multiple online sources and grow them at home on your kitchen counter. They need water and time more than anything in that form.

Leelu likes this.
  3. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Yeah. Well. This was a random example. And a lot of mushrooms grow better when its dark and wet.
    But that's not about mushrooms. It's about farms in the basement!

Leelu likes this.
  4. Phiedrus Oliva

Phiedrus Oliva Avatar

I agree with the overall idea. There are plants that definitely can grow up in a basement, but way less types than can grow up outside. Same goes for different plants in different biomes.
    I want to think of it as a work in progress that could come in the future. In the meantime, I guess it's either let plants grow up indoors or not. If you have to choose one option, allowing that is the way to go as interim solution imo.

LostBMe, Leelu and Atogrim like this.
  5. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Magic-powered solar emitters, for your hydroponics.

LostBMe and Leelu like this.
  6. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

I want basement hydro lighting via those glowing crystals.

Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  7. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Although I agree that it is not realistic to grow plants in unlit basements, I am not in favor of flat rooftops for row houses in order to make roof gardens. Currently, the gables of row houses (such as those in my signature) create a visually pleasing townscape.

I would much prefer to allow planting indoors. If need be, some kind of sun globe could be created to provide light for indoor plants.

Even my village lot does not have enough space around my house to grow what I want to grow. It would if I took down the fence, hedge and lot decorations like the wishing well. Do we really want to force people to make their homes ugly in order to be able to grow things?

Melissa, LostBMe and Leelu like this.
  8. Earl Atogrim von Draken

If it has at least some downsides I can agree with that.
    Like: You have to recharge the globes/crystals/whatever on a regular basis.

Leelu likes this.
  9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The plan as given DLMB is to limit what one can plant by the receptacle, which in turn can have limits on where it can be placed.

So for instance the Planting Pot is limited to small plants, like reagents, and will be able to be placed outside or inside.
    While some of the Planting Furrows can only be placed outside on ground and can grow larger stuff like apple trees.

Thus our feedback to the devs should be that specific Underground Planting Beds should be made. For underground outdoors.

Atogrim, LostBMe and Leelu like this.
  10. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

It doesn't have to be realistic for me, it's a fantasy video game, and in fantasy video games anything is possible right? If people want to fill their whole houses/basements up with planting it doesn't bother me :)

LostBMe, Leelu, Budner and 1 other person like this.
  11. John_Doe

John_Doe Avatar

I thought the idea was to get people to purchase lots larger than their houses so they would have room for gardening. For now I don't see a problem with indoor stuff but when the game is full release I don't think it would be a good idea unless they make some green houses.

Atogrim, Spoon and Leelu like this.
  12. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Agreed @Ice Queen there are just certain points where immersion and realism has to give way to playability. Some people, like those in row houses, have little option as to where they farm. As said before, some planter types are designed to always be usable indoors while others are going to require us to eventually be outside. I do agree that it would be nice to add in some things such as requiring like a glowing crystal that gives a light source to survive.

Let us all remember that underground player owned towns are going to have farming as well. If we go down the slippery slope of eliminating growing inside and/or in basements then we are a step away from eliminating agriculture in underground PoT's.... and that I would very much not be okay with.

LostBMe, Noric, Leelu and 1 other person like this.
  13. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

What is there's a spell in the Sun tree of spells that effectively creates sunlight indoors (like in a basement) for purposes of growing plants? So if your plants are inside you need to give them water and sun for them to grow? Personally I'd prefer that we can just grow plants in the deepest darkest recesses of the fifth floor of my basement but if we insist on "realism" (in a fantasy game!) then maybe this is a solution?

14. Selene

Selene Avatar

Okay, I will probably generate some #firstworldproblems hate for saying this, but agriculture was the MAIN reason I boosted my pledge. I envisioned a lush garden surrounding a smaller-than-intended-for-the-lot home. I even bought an extra lot and a greenhouse so I'd have the space I desired. But with the high item limit and huge size to basements (even on row lots), if underground farming continues to be available such as it is, I clearly wasted my money. If there are limits on the number of vendors on a lot, I think there should be a limit to how much you can plant on a lot and basements should be out of the question.

LostBMe and Leelu like this.
  15. WrathPhoenix

WrathPhoenix Avatar

Why is that wasted money when now you too have not only excess outside space - but excess inside space too? You're still coming out better off because you boosted your pledge above someone with a lower pledge...

LostBMe, Leelu and Ice Queen like this.
  16. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

You didn't waste your money in my opinion. You can do "real" farming, have your "lush garden" and you have a cool greenhouse that many people will be envious of. But if you're happier planting your crops in a basement, you can still sell your lot and your greenhouse.

LostBMe, Ice Queen and Leelu like this.
  17. Selene

Selene Avatar

Not really. With such a high item limit on a basement, if you packed a row basement wall to wall with grow beds, you could flood the market with farming goods. Agriculture will be meaningless as an in-game career path, and with how inexpensive row lots can be purchased for in game gold...

18. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'm not sure I agree with that at all. Not only do you get to do additional farming in your larger basement (since you have a larger lot), but your "cash crops" are visible, meaning you can draw folk actually looking for agriculture goods to you! If I'm looking for corn or flax, I'm not going to go to a row house, I'm going to the farm house.

Don't sell the RP power of your purchase short.

19. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Prices have not been balanced yet. I wouldn't be too concerned with that until the economy balancing goes in.

LostBMe, Ice Queen and Leelu like this.
  20. Selene

Selene Avatar

It's basic supply vs. demand. There's no way to "balance" that. It balances itself. That's the point.

Leelu likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.