looking for group and advice

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by dailyxe, Jun 13, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dailyxe

dailyxe Avatar

Greetings, all!

I picked up the game recently via Steam and I've been really enjoying learning the mechanics. The main problem is that every time I begin to think I've got and understanding of what works, another layer of the game peels away and there's even more to learn.

Right now, I am enjoying playing a mixture of a Bludgeon + Earth + Heavy Armor character. The idea I had was just to stack as many Strength buffs as I could to hit hard. The problem I am having here is that I don't seem to make contact with my target a whole lot. I assume the answer is "train up Dexterity," but how does one go about doing that?

Additionally, I've been trying to wrap my mind around crafting. Is there an easy guide or tutorial video available to explain it? It seems like the system is recipes, but with variable parts?

Thanks to anyone that reads! Double thanks for replies!

Nog and majoria70 like this.
  2. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

Hi dailyxe and welcome to SotA.

Crafting is quite complex in SotA. Some hate it for that, some love it for that. What you need in order to craft is five things:
    • Access to a crafting table. There is one for each crafting and refinement skill. Player owned towns often have crafting tables with skill bonusses, so keep your eyes open for these.
    • A crafting tool. They are sold by crafting vendors in NPC and player owned towns. Make sure that the crafting tool is eqippped and its durability is not 0.
    • The skill. In every NPC town there are crafting trainers who can train you in new crafting skills that you qualify for based on your previous skills.
    • The materials. In SotA, tese can be many different raw products and crafted components... This resource can help: sotawiki
    • The recipe. There are three different kinds of recipes: re-teachable (get these from a fellow player or simply discover them by looking up what is needed and placing the exact amount of materials on the crafting table), teachable (get these from a fellow player) and not teachable (some of them can be bought from NPCs in different towns. The higher level ones only drop as loot, though).
    If you are interested in carpentry, alchemy, butchering or cooking, send me a whisper ingame (same name as on forums), and I will meet you and teach you the teachable recipes.

Nog, Jaesun and majoria70 like this.
  3. Helvig Ingvildsdottir

Helvig Ingvildsdottir Avatar

About dexterity: There is a skill in the subterfuge tree called "train dexterity". A lot of new players make the mistake of ignoring the subterfuge tree if they do not intend to play a stealthy character. But there are three innate skills in the subterfuge tree that are important for every player: train dexterity (obviously), safe fall (so you don't always die when jumping off a rock), and armor weak points (increases your chance for critical hits).

Train the skill distract to 20 asap, then get train dexterity and safe fall (at least). Get them as soon as possible, because the train dexterity skill rises painfully slowl. Also, independent of the skill, your dexterity will go up when you reach higher adventurer levels. But train dexterity is a must have nonetheless IMO.

Synergy Blaize, Nog and Jaesun like this.
  4. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

^ that.

5. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Also we do have a looking for group feature in Sota. It is located by pressing alt f. You can start a group as well by clicking on the ''new party' option and you can join a party by clicking join.

Also we don't have skill caps and this game does have you go in many trees certain builds might not normally go down like the fire tree for the fire proof instead. I remember early days when fire mages were devastating. I also use glancing blow, ice shield and fortify defences.

I use body slam a lot and did chose to do the bludgeon and healing specializations. I play a chain wearing paladin type player who also has a healing deck.

All of this is as an example to give ideas.

Anyway I'm majoria in game if I can help. Welcome to the game @dailyxe .

Last edited: Jun 13, 2018
    Nog likes this.
  6. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

Even though you didn't specifically mention it, I'll give you a warning right now. When your skills get to a certain point, change them from "Training" to "Maintaining". Skills will continue to drain XP from your pool, and the higher they are, the more they drain.

When you're new, stop them at 40, or whatever is needed to unlock the next tier skill. It's a good idea to focus on unlocking as many skills as you can first. Most skills only take about 4000xp to get to 40, but some skills take 2x or 10x or even more times the base amount because they are useful in more situations than the skills that require you to put a glyph in the hotbar before you can use them.

Later on when you get some pool saved up, you can start opening them up to 60 and then 80. Note that 80 is supposed to be the sweet spot of a skill where the XP it costs vs the benefit you get is at the optimum. Later on you can try for 100, aka "Grand Master". It takes about 100,000 XP to go from skill 99 to skill 100, and it just gets worse after that. You shouldn't go beyond that unless you really know what you are doing.

As you get to higher levels, you should try to keep a bigger pool. Not only is it more skills that you can train later, but the larger your pool, the more gets taken out of it at a time. (Up to a limit, I think it was 4M XP.) This can be important when you need consumables to advance a skill, which happens often in crafting.

Helvig Ingvildsdottir and Nog like this.
  7. Antrax Artek

Antrax Artek Avatar

Cheers! Just pm me on forum, in game (Antrax Artek) or discord (Antrax#1555) if you have any question about mechanics :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.