Looting

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Betamox, Feb 8, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Its kindof paradoxical. You make a game that multiplayer and single. I cant imagine something not suffering from that choice. Cant have ur cake and eat it to. Personally i think just cause the tech can do it doesnt mean its feasible. Likely the mmo crowd will pull any rp value out.

BillRoy [ab] likes this.
  2. Robby

Robby Avatar

Yea, I would have found trammel a little more interesting if there was a possibility to go grey at least by looting other players or the spawn they killed.

Time Lord likes this.
  3. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

I agree it sucks when you spent so much time killing a monster and somone swoops in and takes the prize loot! Now if i could attack that person that swooped in(PVP) and kill him without being flagged a criminal im down for that, In PVE that should not be able to happen!

Bodhbh Deargh, BillRoy [ab] and NRaas like this.
  4. Akeashar

Akeashar Avatar

I agree that someone shouldn't be able to swoop in and take the prize loot... in PvE. In pretty much every game there has been a system in place to prevent exactly that, whether its tagging the monster, doing a certain amount of damage to the mob, or everyone who contributed getting a prize. And thats one of the things that the Devs are looking at.

If you've played a game where you killed a monster by yourself and someone else could take the loot, then thats a flawed system and really has no place in a game in this day and age.

BillRoy [ab] and blaquerogue like this.
  5. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

Old school UO before tram, that could happen, but it was all PVP back then too, so i could kill them, yes, i would be flagged but. oh well! Then further along you couldnt loot a creature if you didnt make the kill (in Trammel, the PVE zone. If there were 8 of us that killed a monster, and 1 guy came in and swooped, chances were very high that one if not all of the party could take out the swooper before he got away, most of the time tho it wasnt just one, it was a pk guild 6 to 10 people, so it turned into an all out war! then the monster re spawned LOL cause we took to long! and by this time all of us pk and pvp were so low on health and healing that we got wiped! hahaha! by the respawned monster and his minions! (I like colors!)

apoc01 and BillRoy [ab] like this.
  6. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

This mechanic only caters to griefers and penalizes players who don't want to partake in PvP. I will not play a game that incentivizes griefing.

7. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

:D

8. Betamox

Betamox Avatar

No amount of restrictions can stop griefing. It would be better to limit the restrictions on player interactions so you have the ability to respond to griefer activities.

apoc01 and blaquerogue like this.
  9. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

I'm not saying the game must have restrictions to stop all possible griefing from occuring. That is unrealistic.

I'm asking the devs not create mechanics that specifically incentivize griefing.

Silent Strider, Ned888 and BillRoy like this.
  10. barkleyjer

barkleyjer Avatar

Nobody wants griefing...but we all want loot. I like good loot systems...you know what I don't like though? Killing some kind of beast that is using a sword, only to not be able to find a sword on his body...how magical?! Things that make sense are good.

Maeryck, apoc01, Dadalama and 2 others like this.
  11. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

My answer would depend on what tends to be dropped?

12. smack

smack Avatar

Regarding the blood moss comment, don't think it was simply said in passing. This is part of the subversive nature of the game and the "enticement" that ties to virtues. There may be reagents (or other ingredients in a crafting loop) that can help you craft/create some really powerful gear or potions or whatever. But the method of obtaining those reagents/ingredients may not be as "virtuous" as you may think. Do you profit from crafting/selling those items knowing that someone had to directly die for that ingredient to be obtained? How good would you feel about yourself if you knew? If you don't care, well, your path is clear :)

There's more to this game than you may think. This game is ingrained with virtues and story and will test us in every way it can to make us fail or kill us. In other words, be careful what you ask for because you'll get it....at some unknown cost. Can you hear Richard laughing yet?

Xaronzon, Margard and NRaas like this.
  13. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Well whatever the rationalization that was going through Chris's head at the time, I do like your interpretation.

Not really sure how one would implement it though : A virtuous player would need to abstain from the use of bloodmoss ?

14. smack

smack Avatar

Yeah I was just projecting my thoughts about the nature of the game from that comment. If that's indeed what they do and it is tied to virtues, then yeah, you'd want to avoid using bloodmoss as an ingredient in your crafting. I don't know if they'll do that though, but it would be neat!

NRaas likes this.
  15. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Hmm... Theorizing further, just for the sake of it :

One could implement a "virtuous" equivalent to bloodmoss, perhaps called "dewmoss", which is far more difficult/expensive to obtain in the game.

Perhaps it only appears on the sides of certain trees the day after a fog rolls in, or something obscure like that.

So, go the fast and easy path and trawl local battle fields, or go the slow and serene path and wait for the fog to roll in. :)

16. Dadalama

Dadalama Avatar

That would feel way to artificial... like it was constructed to be a tit for tat kind of thing. Which it is but it's very obvious. Stuff like that makes me roll my eyes. Having a harder time getting something isn't that big of a decision in a video game is that it's a matter of time. It would feel like the choice would be meaningless.

I really don't like sacrificing at the altar of balance. It's a big part of what made fourth edition "really really not for me".

17. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Hard choices are hard, I would agree. :)

Bodhbh Deargh and Dadalama like this.
  18. apoc01

apoc01 Avatar

Full loot only makes sense, and makes the game fun! Keep in mind I will lose just as much of my belonging as everyone else!

Gruumsh, Abydos and blaquerogue like this.
  19. Gruumsh

Gruumsh Avatar

Full loot is so good, it is the basic of UO success ! Made crafter so useful, created a real economy, made pvp so good and made you fear death ! Oi oi for full loot !

blaquerogue and Abydos like this.
  20. Abydos

Abydos Avatar

Yes Gruumsh ! God of Orc !

Im whit u !

Gruumsh and blaquerogue like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.