1. Here you will find official announcements and updates. These announcements are also linked in the Official SotA Discord server.
    We encourage comments from the community! To keep the announcements official, we ask that comment threads be created in the General forums for player input.

Thanks!

Lot Selection Sequence Process

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by DarkStarr, Jun 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Floors

Floors Avatar

There are still some water village lots left in Port Mirren.

2. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

Hello, I am Barnabas, new to the forums. In reading this thread, I had a couple of thoughts (and please forgive me if these are points that have already been discussed or addressed elsewhere):

1. When SotA has final release, will there be any game-run towns available on mainland Novia, or are we thinking all available properties be only on the Hidden Vale at first? Having towns ready in Novia would create much more available space, thus less stress.

2. Rather than the "log-in and dash" approach to claiming properties, would it be less stressful perhaps if the devs could create an overall map to use for initial property claims? So, when the 1st level is ready to claim land, rather than having to physically have their character make a mad dash to land that would possibly be already claimed (which sounds stressful and frustrating!), all claimants could just click through maps of the towns, see what is available, and just click to claim? Possibly add a "street view" type feature to ensure it looks good? Then we can all know where we will be settling, can log in, and enjoy the launch with leisure!

Just some ideas I wished to share. Humbly yours...

3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Lord Baldrith and Barnabas Root like this.
  4. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

Welcome!

1. By launch all of the land will be availible, with the exception of some parts of the map which need to be unlocked by doing the story.
    They have said that there is a possibility that not all Player Owned Towns will be created by then, though.

2. This has been discussed, but it apparently require way too much work to make this work.

Lord Baldrith and Barnabas Root like this.
  5. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

Thanks so much for your welcome and information, Duke Arradin! I'm meeting such kind and like-minded folk here. I'm beyond excited to once again walk in the lands of Lord British!

6. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

That's why most of us are here, Likeminded people :)

And just forgot to mention, this is ofcourse subject to change, and the answers i gave you is based on the feedback we have goten so far, but nothing is ever set in stone i guess.

7. Aenra

Aenra Avatar

In the off chance this would be considered "necroing", my sincere apologies.

I really, really wish to see the team here adopt a similar way of thinking;
    I still find it.. baffling, to say the least.. how in a game such as SotA, players will still have to resort to that horrid, organic gameplay feel-killing 'gogogogo' mentality just so.. they can play.
    Because the housing factor is just that. A major "play component" of this specific game. Let alone what 'gogogogo' practices entail for those that simply do not wish to rush, do not wish to spoil their first overall impressions/feel by succumbing to such practices. This skip-skip-skip, run-run-run, do not look, do not stop..
    (won't even touch the subject of people unfortunate enough to be completely left out, despite their having payed as much as their fellow peer; simply because they did not 'rush')

Now to reply to you in advance, yes, it's all well and good to say "why then, just don't do it", but when lots are:
    1) artificially inflated by Portalarium themselves
    2) limited in their actual number
    3) made further pressing in the game-internal hierarchy by being put under a limited time window..
    I think it is fair to say that we are at best talking about a faux choice. Never was a fan of faux choices. Most especially in a sandbox :)

I can understand the 'too much work' response to some degree. But would it not be a fair compromise to provide said feature, albeit in a simplified manner?
    We do not need gorgeous 3D virtual maps with actual navigation in order to click on 'x' lot and press claim. I am assuming that the nearer to launch the game heads, the more precise the available number will be becoming. Would it honestly be -that- hard to simply have some way of saying town 'a' is first, 'b' number of slots, first come first served? Outside of the game? In advance?
    You make it available to RFs first, Fs afterwards, benefactors lastly. You make it available prior to "soft" launch, at a date long in advance specified, and that's it really.

Xandra7, Barnabas Root and Tahru like this.
  8. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

I dont have to rush in and claim a property.
    MY POT leader, has already set aside the lots that I want to have.
    That is the advantage to belonging to a group of people who have collectively bought a POT.
    All the People who Choose not to associate themselves with any one will have to go through the selection process.

Duke Arradin and Tahru like this.
  9. graylake21

graylake21 Avatar

why does it matter how houses are alloted, if you want them, and one, get them. what's the de-emphasis on the land rush? was probably the most thrilling aspect of a new UO shard. I would play on shards just to place. lol

10. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

My style of play is slow and relaxed, and I take my time in a lot of areas. Obviously not combat, but crafting, house layout, and definitely character creation! My understanding is that when the game goes live, all our characters will be wiped, and we have to re-create our character from scratch. (Please, correct me if I'm wrong.) I don't just want to race through creation of a generic-looking character so I can get in on the land rush, especially in a game like this where I have invested so much cash and time, and plan to play for many, many years.

I can see your point about the excitement of the land rush, but it's just not my style.

Another idea I had that the Devs may see as more feasible is this: what if they created a "posting board" in each village, maybe next to the town crier, where there could be a letter posted which lists each city, town, village by name, and the # of lots of each size still free in them? That way, the land rush is still present, but at least slower types like me can check the town posting board, get a sense of where the most vacancies are, and head directly there? What do you all think?

MagiK and Archibald Leatherneck like this.
  11. Kitty2

Kitty2 Avatar

I have reached out to a leader of a POT that sounded appealing to me, and he has added me to his list, but from what I understand, many POT's will not be ready in time for launch, including his. I'm just trying to cover my bases, and ensure I have a decent place to stake my claim until the POT is developed and ready for residence.

Is there a listing anywhere by anyone of the POT's that will be up and running by launch?

12. Sean Silverfoot

Sean Silverfoot Avatar

There has never been a statement from Port, to my knowledge, that POT's won't be ready for launch. That's pure speculation on someones part. Heck we've not been told a launch date yet.

13. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

They have infact said during the dev hangout of which PoT was one of the topics that they are not 100% sure that ALL POTs will be ingame by the time of launch.

14. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

Don't forget there will be NPC towns that you can place in even if you have committed to a particular POT and for some reason that POT isn't up at launch.

15. Galluccio

Galluccio Avatar

Please come up with a pledge level between Lord Marshal and Baron so I can have a greater chance at getting a good location. I just started donating. I see I wouldn't have a very high priority in your current system.

16. Archibald Leatherneck

Archibald Leatherneck Avatar

Was this comment in reference to PURCHASED POTs or was it in reference to ALL POTs that will be ingame by the end of Episode 1? Likewise, did it reference purchased POTs that the owners want to delay placement of the POT until a future Episode and new maps are available?

17. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

i dont remember the exact quote , but it was in reference to those who purchase PoTs before launch cant expect ALL to be in before launch....

But it isnt 100% either way, ofcourse.

18. Deliverence

Deliverence Avatar

If you're only new to the game and lot selection is important to you you could elevate your status over other backers by purchasing a royal founder account for instants from the market place on the forums.
    Lot selection was initially meant to be a reward for backing early, though Port changed this so anyone can be a royal founder by simply purchasing a founder or royal founder account from the market place on the forums.
    It will probably cost you a bit more than the original price but Port can merge the accounts so you can carry the status over to your main account and at the same time raising your pledge level.

The jump however from LM to Baron is worth it, took me a while to upgrade while the jump from Baron to Duke is imo harder to justify as outside of the keep lot most of the rewards are physical.

19. Ice Queen

Ice Queen Avatar

I suppose it depends on who you are and what your priorities are for the pledges. I don't really see anything in the Baron level that justifies (for me) a $1600 leap from a Lord Marshal pledge. The city lot would be the prize in the pledge for me, but for just a city lot it's just not worth $1600 to me, as the items it comes with, other than the city lot/and higher lot selection(and I suppose the ship houses which again I'm not interested in) aren't all that grand. Besides there doesn't look like there will be many city or town lots in the cities so they'll be gone within the first hour in each of those tiers are open for lot selection, leaving only the boring side towns to place them in or a POT which could end up Lord knows where out in the boonies. That's just my thoughts though :) Course we all could be seen as crazy by a lot of people for spending what we have for a Pre-alpha game before we know for sure how it will turn out to be, lol. :)

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  20. Lord-Galiwyn

Lord-Galiwyn Avatar

BUt you could join a POT and have a lot held for you by the Owner.
    A lot of us have pledged to be in a POT to skip the Selection Process.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.