Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mage damage comparison

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Lord Baldrith, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

You mean you train in the shroud of turin ? :D

2. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I do not PvP. I don't want spells weakened for PvE to make PvP balanced.

Gabriel Nightshadow likes this.
  3. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Player versus monster is best done through melee weapons, magic is slow and expensive versus monsters compared. In pvp armor ratings of players is far higher and able to neutralize most physical damage and it comes down to a mage fight. The only spell that is threatening is searing ray right now with its 3 second cool down and 10-70 base damage, while everything else hits for about half that and has far longer cool down. If you want magery to be fun, it should be more then one spell locked on hot bar that even a fighter in full plate mail can use.

4. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Balancing player versus monster is far easier for you can adjust the monsters, making pvp fun requires all skills to be somewhat balanced in power and effect to make a fun competition. One spell spammed between all players isn't exciting.. its a yahtzee contest. Even nearing top out in my build I don't have any confidence because its a roll of 10-70.. and it really comes down to luck more then any skill. ( though I'm not saying their is no skill... its just overwhelmed by the randomness ).
    Could be cool to see max damage for the spell be at lvl 1 skill, with the minimum damage going up every level and int would remain a separate factor. A amateur can make a perfect shot, but its a master who can do it on a regular basis.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
  5. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

I feel what your saying Lord Baldrith. If I set to my pvp deck all based on searing ray and lighting and try to fight a pack of wolves its a struggle but if I use the halberd I can sweep them up quickly. I can't pvp with melee because players are too hard to hit, I can't use magery versus monsters because its too weak. I think the answer is in increasing elemental damage which player can increase resist to protect themselves from, but searing ray has no resist and therefore must come down in overall effectiveness.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2015
    Lord Baldrith likes this.
  6. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I agree that Melee is definitely better than magic for me. If I want an easier fight I put on plate and use my pole arm build. I like to have a couple of strong mage characters in my collection of alts. My main is generally a mage.

I want my ice spells (water) to be able to freeze and stop mobs before they get to my mage giving him time to bomb them before they get to him and kill him fast. I would take some aoe stuns or serious slow spells as well. Thus far the slows we have in game are not beneficial enough to slow anything enough to help. Ice arrow slows about 27% at level 64...that isn't helpful. I can get another arrow off or a fireball but yippee they don't do enough damage to help...Plus in this game most of the time you are fighting multiple mobs.

I am asking for mage utility along with damage. With magery it is big time about damage and utility...Thus far we have neither.

I can imagine in PvP it is very different and more difficult. PvE to me is easy as melee and hard as magic. I am still fighting large bears and kobolds at best...(1 at a time only please)

Woftam and Tears like this.
  7. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

I think elemental damage should be Equal to Searing ray right now.. around the 10-70 range and i think resist to each element should be increased to 50% at max. It should be the terror until resists are gained against it. Searing could stay the same if it dropped to 10-35 at night.
    The more i think on raising minimum damage versus maximum damage, the better it sounds. The difference between skilled and unskilled is their abilities to duplicate the results. Starting off damage should be far more erratic but with high possibilities... the 10-70 like yahtzee numbers, but as a person grows in skills their attacks should also become more consistent. Even at max skill, if I roll a 10 damage, i feel like a newbie.

8. gracy

gracy Avatar

I give just a little feeling feedback ... as a mage tamer, from R22 i have no more satisfaction to play SotA, and seeing that i don't like melée way of playing, i stopped to play waiting to some adjustements/balancing (very low damages done, high damages taken with cloth armour, high fizzles with higher armour, high focus consume, low focus regen ... "beeing a mage as it is, is a crap")

I'll add some more specific taming considerations in a separate post.

Thanks for developpers for their work

9. gracy

gracy Avatar

I give just a little feeling feedback ... as a mage tamer, from R22 i have no more satisfaction to play SotA, and seeing that i don't like melée way of playing, i stopped to play waiting to some adjustements/balancing (very low damages done, high damages taken with cloth armour, high fizzles with higher armour, high focus consume, low focus regen ... "beeing a mage as it is, it's a crap")

I'll add some more specific taming considerations in a separate post.

Thanks for developpers for their work

10. Curt

Curt Avatar

I read was someone that suggested that once a mage skill was over a certain value it could do aoe damage.
    Could we not simply have so spellweaving a skill with itself Added a AoE damage component for some spells?

... fist spells combos could work a bit like burning hands in D&D a cone attack
    while ranged spells could make a AoE around the targeted person.

11. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Their several Aoe spells for mages. Chain lighting from Air, Fireball and Ring of Fire in Fire, Earthquake in Earth, Death Field in death.. though these Aoe spells tend to be a little more difficult to use. Currently mages are the best for player versus player combat and weak versus monsters.. though I never did try the Aoe spells for grinding. Hopefully spell damages will come up along with player resists thereby making mages fun for pvp and player vs monster.
    One issue using Aoe spells to fight monsters is it costs more to fight a battle then any possible loot that can be obtained.. and to compare to what a warrior can do with two handed weapon, a mages Aoe spells would have to be extremely powerful. ( This is partly because the added damage warriors get from auto attack that a Aoe mage at range does not get. Making a staff or two wands required to get the bonus Aoe damage could keep it balanced.. or making staffs/wands help reduce fizzle so mages could cast vs monsters without the extreme costs in regs. )

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  12. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Battle is pretty fast paced.. some of the spells are not designed to be fast paced. Aoe Fireball I only ever used at Vertas keep. With the targeting on it, its in the category of Fire Ring for the most part.. very hard to use Aoe. Its a cool spell on its own, but not a effective and fun Aoe grinding spell on a normal basis... not what I would really want for my fireball. I'd say keep it, but call it fire blast and add fire ball as a quick ez to use aoe.
    A lot of cool skills, but without the basic needed skills, they tend to be replacing more useful stuff. I'd like one on one damage spell with each element, one ranged, one touch, each element could use one ranged and perhaps one melee aoe. Targeted Aoe should be the big bangs.
    Part of the talk is about hybrid usefulness, but at the same time theirs talk of opposing elements cancelling each other out. If we go by hybrid design, their can be a complete mage built using all elements.. but their is no way to specialize in any without each having the basic range/aoe/touch attacks of their own.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2015
  13. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Fire Arrow, Ice Arrow, Obsidian Arrow, Lightning Bolt, Death Ray, Sun Ray <--- Nice solid set of One on One damage spells.
    Fire Fist, Ice Fist, Stone Fist, Gust, Death Touch <-- Good set up on One on One melee touch spells.
    Fire Ball ( wouldn't use because of targeting issues ) , Ice Field ( slowing a targeted thats already ontop of me.. wouldn't use ) Chain Lightning ( Good spell,, but holds me in place for 2 seconds and costs regs.. but useful ), Earth Quake ( Good spell but requires a caster to be close ) Death Field ( totally decent Aoe, but again, caster must be close )

14. Turin2

Turin2 Avatar

Though simplified, it would be far easier to balance all elements if they shared set categories, One range, one touch, one aoe.. outside of that, they could all have the special spells.

15. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Yes, this is a huge problem with Ice Field. It would be my lead spell if it was ranged...since it just slows from right in front of the mage it's pretty much worthless.

If I was playing a monk, the fist spells would be great...but my mage prefers to avoid getting hit :)

Tears and Gabriel Nightshadow like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.