Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mage damage comparison

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Lord Baldrith, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

Is this because you use locked skills/spells, or are spells different than physical skills in this respect? (ie, when I'm dealt a glyph, it's immediately available to use)

2. Halvard

Halvard Avatar

Cloth gives you 0% fizzle, leather and plate does not.
    you can make cloth armor with bonuses like 20% spell damage / +2 INT

rest of your post I have to agree with
    This is most likely to balance since those of us that use random deck start getting glyphs once we draw weapon.
    I do think a 10 second cooldown for all glyphs would be enough when entering combat

Lord Baldrith and Jivalax Azon like this.
  3. Nubelite

Nubelite Avatar

Here are some of my thoughts on balancing mage out.

Summons - do not drain focus or loose HP but rather reduce your over all focus by half of the spells cost to cast. That way you can still regain focus in combat.
    Staves should not drain focus when used, the dmg is not much better then wands anyway. Wands and staves should alter the spells being cast.
    Wands - increase accuracy and decrease casting time.
    Staves - increase damage and increase casting time.
    Would also be neat if each tree can be used individually and be survivable. like the combat trees.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2015
    Lord Baldrith likes this.
  4. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

5. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

https://www.dropbox.com/s/o8i5v07ta6umzps/searing ray lvl 60.png?dl=0

9-56 (base searing ray damage, no gear, no enlightenment)

10-60 no gear (enlightenment x1 +14 INT)

10-61 (enlightenment x4 +16 INT, cloth chest piece +2 INT)

18 INT = +1 min +5 max

min = .0714 (per 1 INT)

max = .357 (per 1 INT)

The spell icon doesn't show the real time damage range of day and night cycles so you have to make reduced estimations of your damage potential at night. Is it actually possible that searing ray has increased effectiveness if a monster/player is standing in the sun light, opposed to standing in a shadow? That would be awesome.

One reason glyphs might not be refreshed when you go into combat mode is because of the Mind Wipe spell. Perhaps it would make mages too powerful to have a constant cycle of searing rays (or whatever spell) in the end game? Right now my lvl 15 mind wipe has a 36.3 second recast and it's going down .3 sec every level. Not sure if this is consistent through the progression but at lvl 100 your mind wipe would be 10.8 seconds. If you only had mind wipe locked, you'd be able to cast 3 searing rays, then hit mind wipe and probably cast 3 more again, mind wipe 3 searing rays again, etc. Is that too much DPS? Not arguing against having them refresh immediately just trying to figure out the reasoning or perhaps we're just observing incomplete game mechanics.

6. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I use a locked deck. I lost interest in random decks a few releases ago. Still don't think they should start with a cool down. That is unnecessary punishment.

7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

The 0% fizzle isn't on every spell. It's a small compensation for armor to have lower fizzle rates. With the amount of damage output vs the ability to avoid attacks armor needs to either be more effective in helping with damage output, or defending us against hits. As it stands now plate armor would be worth wearing as the higher fizzle rates don't matter anyway because my polearm does more damage than my spells. That is my big problem with the magic system. My mage is NOT powerful he is a complete WIMP.

My cloth armor is bought from other people's vendors. I haven't had any success in crit during crafting, so I love to shop at capable crafters vendors. That is a very fun part of this game to me...Back to the point, even with the +2 int and the damage reduction bonuses and the spell damage bonuses...my fire arrow does 7 and my ice arrow does 10. So I guess naked my fire arrow would do 6 and my ice arrow would do 9? Haha big help cloth armor :(

I am just asking for cloth armor to be effective in some ways. Mages are not supposed to be hit. Spells are supposed to stop mages from getting hit. Hence the need for cloth armor to defend the mage either by boosting spell power, focus regen, or avoidance. As it stands now my ice does not slow mobs enough to notice. Fire DOT damage is pretty pathetic. Defensive/Passive stances are not helping me survive.

Creatures come in quantity most of the time. That makes immolation very handy...YET I cannot take hits long enough to thin out the mob...generally die or run or both haha.

8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Well my standard practice with a mage is to prepare for battle. I turn on combat mode and wait for my spells to be ready. I prefer to start with defensive stance and then follow with tumble or ice shield...then go to ice arrow, fire arrow, sun ray, repeat...The hope is that eventually ice arrow will slow a mob enough to where the rotation kills them or nearly kills them.

I do not want to wait 60 seconds to start every battle...that is the cooldown of the stances. Makes no sense to me since I have not yet used any of these spells...Also, the ability to cast them out of combat would help, then I could turn them on before starting combat as well.

Solazur, margaritte, Kutas and 2 others like this.
  9. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Agreed. High fizzle is supposed to penalize people with armor. Low fizzle should not be considered a reward for wearing cloth unless the damage output is high enough to justify not wearing armor. And then, fizzle rates would need to be jacked up even higher for armor wearers to dissuade them from casting.

10. Lord Ravnos

Lord Ravnos Avatar

See I've never used a locked deck, so I don't know what punishments are suffered by those who rebel against the state. ;-) But maybe the penalty should be lowered, and the random glpyhers such as myself should be rewarded a bit more for our struggle. :)

11. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

A few clarifications on some things!

There are zero penalties for using a locked deck now. There is still an advantage to using dealt in that you don't have to worry about cooldowns and you can weave spells but the artificial penalties for locked are history. The other advantage is that some of the chaos magic is only usable by those using a dealt deck. For isntance, Juxtapose is only usable in spell weaving but very powerful if used right.

Passive stance and defense stance was a cool down of 30. I went ahead and dropped it to 15 for R23.

As for damage spells. Fire should do the most damage BUT it does it over time. High skill level fire is the absolute maximum DPS in the game right now BUT only thanks to the dots which don't stack. The damage from fire (and most spells) increases based roughly on the square root of your level in the skill plus half your intelligence. Fire gets a bonus though in that the damage goes up AND the length of the dot goes up. With a 100 skill and a high intelligence, fire bolt does 9-32 + 3-6 for 22 seconds or 11 ticks. That works out to a total of 42 - 98. Not bad for a 6 focus range spell!

Sun and moon bonuses no longer care if you are inside or outside. They now only care about where the sun and moon are located. It is possible to get both bonuses at once!

Searing ray is among the highest immediate damage spells AND comes with bonus damage to undead. Searing ray does 13-81 during the day and an extra 25% damage to undead. Far less than the total damage of fire arrow BUT the damage is instantaneous and you don't have to worry about losing a big chunk of damage from fire over writing its own dot every time you cast it.

So ice bolt is a tougher one to balance. The other two are just pure damage but how much value do you put on the slow effect? For a 100 skill level in ice bolt the damage is 13-63 with a 48% slow for 18 seconds. So that is less damage BUT how do you measure the value of an 18 second, nearly 50% slow. Depending on your playstyle, that is pretty huge.

The spell that is currently underpowered is Obsidian arrow. It is supposed to skip all armor but currently it only skips MOST armor. Its advantage is supposed to be that it is unresistable and just goes against physical defenses but other spells aren't currently very resistable so that makes this of less value. I meant to get a strength factor in there so they scaled up with your strength but it slipped past the release.

For R23 I will likely adjust all spell damage up by about 25% but finish the resistance work I had planned.

Rampage202, Tarsin, leilakin and 10 others like this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Will we ever be able to block these spells using other spells? So like fire damage is a great example. I can block some of the DOT effect with water magic, but I can't really block the initial damage. Searing Ray is an even better example. Will there ever be a reflection spell that blocks that instant damage? This is where I feel we're really lacking at the moment. The ability to block and counter pure damage. It's what allows someone 50 levels higher than me to stand around laughing as they spam their highest damage spells knowing that there's nothing I can do to defend myself as I don't have enough hit points to match them.

Imagine every new player having to fight Lord British, that's what pvp is like right now until you get all your skills into the 60's and 70's. Hit points are a big deal, the ability to heal those hit points, and the ability to perform instant damage is a big deal. I'd really like the combat system to focus less on these things, and more on blocking, countering, and setting up smarter more thoughtful attacks to be successful.

Every spell and skill should have a block and a counter, I hope that's our long term goal.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  13. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Glad to hear about the changes (increased spell damage in general and improved effectiveness of Obsidian Arrow) for R23, Chris :D That means I will be able to rely more on my magic in R23 instead of relying primarily on my arrows to inflict major damage on my foes o_O

14. Curt

Curt Avatar

So make a spell for each type of damage that absorbs X damage of type Y?
    then make it so they is exclusive so only can use one
    If wants to make so mages is the ones that is prepared could have so was *4 more absorb if you casted it before combat

Ice and slowing? could have so everything you do during x seconds (including movement) costed double focus (but with a total extra focus cost that depends on your skill)
    So when you is slowed your movement costed extra focus and same with your skills until the extra cost passes X focus or Y seconds has passed

15. Drocis the Devious

I like the idea of slowing requiring extra focus. But what's the counter to slowing? How do you block slowing? I feel like we're always playing checkers when we should be playing chess. Everything is one move instead of two or three moves. I cast slowing on you - now you're slowed, the end. Where as it should be, I cast slowing on you, but you already countered it by casting Dash. But now you're going to block future attacks by casting, "Speed Shield - a spell that deflects any attempts to slow you down." However the weakness to this spell is that it drains focus over time. So you might tap yourself out in the middle of the fight if you leave it on too long.

16. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I noticed you can only be affected by crowd control effects every 30 seconds...will this always be the case? Haven't tested it but I'm guessing after a 3 second stun you have 27 seconds of not being affected by other crowd control spells? is it different between monsters and players?

So lightning for example might scale from 3.6 sec to 5 seconds.. then a 25 sec delay before you can stun again.

In shadowbane they used a combination of snares, stuns and power blocks. Power blocks were pretty effective but you had to be up close to use them

17. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Yes, there are multiple ways it could be balanced but we're really only looking at one axis of the equation, the focus cost to power ratio. There are a ton of other things to consider including power per second or per click. Many players never run out of focus and the challenge is maximizing output for human effort.

@Ancev, we're making a real pass on resistances for R23. The stun resistance will be more complex for R23.

18. Drocis the Devious

I don't think that's exactly how it works. You get a resistance to stun spells and skills for a period of time, but you're not immune.

19. Drocis the Devious

I think health and focus regen is very high while in combat. I wonder how many players could say they didn't run out if that wasn't the case?

It seems to me that not allowing automatic regen of health and focus during combat (just because you have high innate stats) would be a great way to achieve more effort from players while also giving added incentive to use potions and spells and skills that would assist you. Yes, it would be a major change from where we are now. But I think it would be a good change and also open the door up to more strategic preparation.

20. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Cool... I need to get my skills up so I can get a better idea of how the system works.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.