Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Mage damage comparison

Discussion in 'Release 22 Feedback' started by Lord Baldrith, Sep 25, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

For the record, I always liked the idea of a pure archer vs the archer/pet handler, so I'm right there with you. Archer/PEt handler archtypes, (in books at least) seemed to hold archery as supplemental dps to pet damage, but I know that's not how it is in MMOs.

It seems there is a definite need to split trees, especially considering the fact that our player base are old school.

Not intending to derail, I think this applies also to the mage class with conjurers vs direct damage vs damage over time mages.

2. Gabriel Nightshadow

Gabriel Nightshadow Avatar

Yeah, I've always played some sort of archer hybrid character since the old days of pen and paper AD & D up through the current single player video games, and I've NEVER used a pet o_O I don't intend on doing so here either...unless we are able to tame DRAGONS (for rather obvious reasons...:rolleyes:)

3. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

I read this too and am excited to see the outcome!

4. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

So, I hope this is still on topic... I think it is. Below is a sample of how ive found classes per role can be broken out and using micro adjustments of 2-3% dps change at a time and frequent testing, to most effectively balance them internally and vs other classes.

Its (in my opinion) the best way to handle skills, class balance and role balance.
    Why? Because it standardizes dps capability as a benchmark instead of balancing one variable against another.

3 Roles per class with an initial adjustment to the major role characteristics. Using Mages as an example.. the variations below would not be based upon and balanced against the other roles, but a static base dps target per class. Generic benchmark of 100% the current damage for skills on an individual basis. Same exact skill trees, same exact glyphs, just different damage and cast timers based on role. Assume for example the benchmark cast timer is 5 seconds.

Mage Class:
    Characteristic differences: Damage - Defensive skills remain the same for all roles.
    Role 1: Direct Damage Mage 15% more direct damage on all glyphs. ZERO summoned elemental damage.
    Role 2: Summoner or Magicians 15% less direct damage but 30% summoned pet damage. (summon would do exactly 30% total dps to equalize dps vs the target dps static benchmark for mages.)
    1-2 second maximum cast timers on summoned elementals etc. (this is after all their forte)
    Role 3: Damage per second Mage: 30% less direct damage compared to benchmark but a 45% dps increase on dots over their timer duration. ZERO summoned elemental damage.

In the example above, youll notice they are all mathmatically equivalent DPS, just different methods of getting to that max capacity. A summon or a pet is essentially a dot if you think about it, but the % balance would be different to cater to the methodology of the role and give it the feel it is supposed to have.

I think this gives each player the playstyle they want while preserving dps balance. Please don't lawyer me on the %s, they are examples to illustrate the mechanics behind the idea, they are not necessarily recommended ratios.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
  5. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I just watched some archer mages dueling in owl's head ... so it's like a mage, except double the damage and you have a pet so it's 3 layers of damage without having to move. meh.

6. Grave Dragon

Grave Dragon Avatar

The issue with my post above is the lack of diversity when it comes to hybrid classes, youd be forced into the roles (like Tara) outline by the game rather than having the freedom to explore. Some people also don't like standardized dps on a per class basis but imo it forces skill to win matches rather than the build of the month types of games. I'm not saying this should be used in Sota and I'm well aware the Chris and the other guys working on this are far better at it than I am. Just sharing ideas.

7. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

I got tired of slugs is the main reason for the locked deck. I do not meet the minimum spell requirements since I focus on spells rather than diversify. Still hope the cooldown when entering combat is removed...Or remove slugs and I will use a random deck again.

8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

In r21 I was doing over 100 damage with my ice arrow. Now I'm doing 10. The 28ish percent slow that ice arrow gives is not enough to do any good since the range of ice arrow is fairly short and by the time you get your 2nd spell cast they are hitting you. I think ice should slow more like 75-90% that way my mage could use that spell to keep distance from mobs.

Any thoughts on improving cloth armor for mages? As it stands it's fairly worthless. I do not regen focus any faster. I get hit very hard.

How about defensive stance...it doesn't seem to help either...the same with acrobatics, dodge and ice shield...None of these keep my mage from dying or having to run the minute he gets hit. I am even investing many points in healthy just to keep enough hit points to last a few hits...

Mages are supposed to be powerful, yet fight from a distance. The only spells that work from a distance are arrow spells. Some additional distance spells would be great...higher level ones. I would move my focus to those if I had more options in my casting. I am a pure mage and I prefer not to do any melee if possible during battle.

Quenton, Ice Queen and majoria70 like this.
  9. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I'd like to see a reactive armor/damage absorber spells that protects cloth users but has less or no effectiveness on plate.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I think the difference between cloth and plate should be fizzle rate, speed (plate should be very slow in comparison, I don't care what Bowen says about it), and plate and metal armors should take extra damage verses lightning attacks and bludgeon weapons. And for the love of the Oracle if someone stabs you in the back when you're not looking you should be dead or seriously wounded no matter what level or what armor you have on.

11. Curt

Curt Avatar

plate and metal armours should take LESS damage from lightning (a cage of metal protects you from lightning)
    if you is WET you should take MORE damage from lightning

hopefully we all know its bad to touch metal when its warm or when its cold. So maybe the Fire Dot should be stronger on metal? its heats up your armour and slowly grills you.
    Getting hit by a cold spell would chill the metal to causing some kind of discomfort (ever had some ice cubes placed inside your shirt?)

The bludgeon weapon skills already is able to deal more damage vs armour but maybe could be even more effective

http://www.medicaldaily.com/pulse/s...uits-standing-your-feet-close-together-315630

Last edited: Sep 30, 2015
    Katrina Bekers likes this.
  12. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

You're recommending people in platemail go out in a lightning storm? Really?

13. Curt

Curt Avatar

I recommend people that is wearing a platemail during a lighting storm to Not remove it

But yes plate mail is a decent protection vs lighting but a car or a house is better of course.
    Its simply physics.

14. Enfo

Enfo Avatar

Some coefficients added to damage and defense could help add more depth and metagame.

I'd like to see bonuses based on spells. Getting 50/75/90/100 in spell x should add something to the other spells, something small is fine. Like adding 1 additional tick of fire per level for flame fist. Fire arrow maybe adds 5% dot damage. Fireball reduces damage mitigation by .01 to fire damage. Immolation adds 1% per rank to autocast free of focus cost per other action. Ring of fire adds 5% to the first additional tick of fire damage.

All these add up to a nice little bonus. Then again maybe having something like for each spell in the fire tree that you master adds like 1% chance to cast any direct damage spell twice per cast.

Synergy is the word

15. Fikule

Fikule Avatar

If I recall, in UO plate would literally reduce your dexterity for each piece you wore, slowing down your attack speed.

16. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Yep it severely affected mana regen too. (before age of shadows anyway)

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  17. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Great points, love this thread... for the love of the oracle... rofl... at least Baron Fondorlatos hasn't lost courage in trying to insuflate some wisdom that many who fell in the war on ignorance *cough* been preaching since first release...

Mr Dragonlord... everybody knows a dragon can't be tamed, they are not wild animals... but you can be sure portEAlarium is going to make thisa "feature" if we follow the obvious tendancy of Shroud of the avatar tycoon. Game or entertainment ?

Why mages are so weak is beyond me... making mages "balanced" is exactly what is wrong with commercial RPGs that are becoming obsolete...

18. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

I always liked the concept of dragons being able to shapeshift and being extremely cunning and intelligent. This shows up in Shadowrun and D&D's Darksun campaigns

Lord Hettar Fimbultyr likes this.
  19. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

Where is the thrill to become a mage in a game without gamemasters that can modify the scope of powers to fit the demographics they gather with passion at no expense to the organisation and community ? Just for fun !

We need perma and temporary perma death and real roleplaying mechanics so that things make sense and we are faced with something evolutive ! Desperate cries from my guts... or pathetic noises :D

20. StrangerDiamond

StrangerDiamond Avatar

I keep hearing the fears and echoes of everyone... but your way Ahu, the game would be hacked and then some unfair things would happen... old news, UO was hacked to oblivion and people still play and played !

It's just a game after all !!! why does every decision have to be based on such high security like we were a bank, it feels so serious its poisoning the minds of the most vulnerable imaginations/inner childs of you most honored backers...

ITS POISON. Free the game master, free RG's inner child !

Let them hack their petty gold and stats why should we be afraid ? Aren't we learning spiritual lessons from the ultimas ? Have we gone so far that we can't even show some hospitality to the stranger, are we such worse hosts that we'll be resentful cause splitting the gem of immortality caused its share of problems because of the nature of gate/holographic travel ?

we're supposed to have 5 episodes and noone is yet willing to step forward and tell us even the real limitations to giving some love to roleplayers and story followers UO style

WHAT IS GOING ON ?

This is what I'm seeing : [​IMG]

Poison being whispered into our liege's ears !

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.