Magnus' Corruption

Discussion in 'The Library' started by Magnus Zarwaddim, Feb 9, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

ACT I - Dragon Heart

Novembre 14, 506

Magnus Zarwaddim grunted as his body reformed near the Ankh in the Southern Grunvald Barrens. This was the eighth time he had died, and it was becoming more and more difficult each time. Jonah Hayes appeared next to him as well, looking to Magnus with a frown on his face.

"We must reconsider our approach," Jonah said plainly. A few moments later, Ameresta Trillion appeared.

"Well, that was fun, for the eighth time," Ameresta quipped sarcastically. "Can we not do that again?"

"I fear you are right, Ameresta. Jonah, I am afraid that no approach we consider will help us fell that dragon. He is too powerful, and we are but three," Magnus said as he looked to Jonah and placed his hand on his shoulder. "You are both good friends to entertain this folly, but we must re-think how we will kill this dragon."

"Well, there is the obvious answer," Jonah replied.

"We need a larger contingent," Magnus finished his thought.

"Thank you," Ameresta said while laughing, "I was beginning to think that you liked dying, Magnus."

He doesn't, but I find it very informative.

And this is what Evard Dirae latched on to, knowing that death was but a minor inconvenience here. Magnus could feel his power growing steadily, but the more it grew the more he gave himself over to the power. By giving into the power, Magnus gave in to Evard. Evard enveloped himself in Magnus' power.

You are strong, Magnus. I can feel your power surging, growing. It's as if I am a young apprentice again, knowing the ecstasy of fulfilling my power.

Magnus tried to quell Evard's voice in his head. He turned to Jonah and Ameresta, "Let us head back to Serenite. I will have to discuss this matter with Duke William." The trio left the Southern Grunvald Barrens, and as he began to depart the area Magnus looked back at the silohuette of the dragon, perched high above the plateau.

Don't worry, Magnus, he will be ours soon enough. And once we have his heart we can go continue the Ritual and I will help you bring back Stardust.

Februa 23, 507

As Magnus descended to the Tower of High Sorcery's Library with Razulah, he wondered whether or not he could trust him with his secrets.

No, do not trust him.

This is how Magnus knew he was being influenced by Evard Dirae, the Obsidian Sorcerer who's soul was trapped - for lack of a better word - in the Theurgy Gem Magnus had fused with his Pine Wand.

Stop dismissing me.

Magnus could handle this. It was the lapses in time he experienced, where Evard seemed to fully take control of him, and Magnus, as a person, lost consciousness.

It was times like that where he awakened in front of Jonah Hayes, or, more recently, Audacity. It was at times like these when he was want of any recollection and was forced to trust in someone he barely knew. Jonah became a trusted friend easily, the two sharing affinity's for those things beyond the physical, beyond what anyone could reasonably described. Here, in New Britannia, things were not as they were on Earth. But Audacity, Magnus thought, she took part in some of the discussions with the Conclave. How would he know to trust her? He had no choice the other night, serendipitously, and literally, falling into her arms. "How wonderfully she stood there in a bit of awe as I stumbled out of Brekken Bay," Magnus thought to himself.

Do not trust her either, of all women, she giggled the entire time you spoke with her, you fool.

As the memories of that night began to flesh themselves slightly in his mind, Magnus attempted to control his thoughts. He blushed as he recalled some of the things he said to Audacity. "That woman must think me a fool at this point," Magnus thought as he chuckled.

"And what is so funny?" Razulah asked as he followed Magnus from behind on the stairs leading to the Library.

"I am bemused by my actions as of late, waking up with little recollection, and generally in front of individuals I do not know well," Magnus replied. Arriving in the Library, he motioned for Razulah to sit down on one of the chairs. Magnus pulled a book from a nearby shelf. "Razulah, I had a vivid dream last night. A large contingent and I killed the dragon in the Southern Grunvald Barrens. Once we removed its heart it started to change color, darkening by the second. In minutes it turned to dust and become useless."

This was a lie. Several months before, Magnus convinced Jonah Hayes and Ameresta Trilion to go with him to the Southern Grunvald Barrens to kill the dragon. After dying several times in the attempts, Magnus realized they would need a large group to complete his task.

What was driving his dishonesty was a recent revelation by Evard Dirae that recalled ancient texts describing obtaining the heart of a dragon during a transitional alignment of New Brittania's moons with a star, aptly named the Dragon Star. Magnus could be forthright about this last part, he thought.

"One of the ancient texts I cam across described this exact occurrence, that the heart of the dragon would simply turn to dust if not harvested at the appropriate time," Magnus looked to Razulah to see if he was still listening.

"Go on," Razulah said as if understanding Magnus' concern.

"The long and short of it is this: the moons and the Dragon Star will be in alignment in Juno of 507, and this will be our best chance at harvesting a dragon heart. It may be many years before such an alignment occurs again," Magnus said as he opened the book he took from the shelves and placed it in front of Razulah. "Here," he said pointing at a passage, "these are my notes and calculations."

Razulah looked over the notes. "If this is true, then I will speak with Brois Mondragon about the rituals you require. He has expressed his desire to help in this situation, and certainly I will help as well."

"Thank you, Razulah, it is truly a blessing to have yours and Boris' help. We will require additional help, and thankfully, Juno 3, 507 will be the time for the Annual Serenite Founder's Day. I am sure that I can muster up enough able-bodied adventurers to help me on this task." With this said, Magnus walked Razulah downstairs and out of the Tower of High Sorcery in Serenite. As he returned to his private study in the Tower he thought that the plans were ready for his Quest.

Juno 3, 507 - Yesterday

Magnus cracked open a portion of the Dragon's sternum and reached in. He could still feel the vibration of Dragon Heart beating as his hand slithered through the still warm flesh. He was startled as the Dragon took it's last, fleeting breath. Once his hand found what it was looking for he reached in with the other and planted his feet firmly on the ground.

We almost have it in our hands.

"Do you need help," Jonah Hayes asked.

"Steady Magnus if you would, Jonah," Magnus' voice grew deeper. This surprised Jonah. He recalled the last time he encountered Magnus in this state. Jonah came behind Magnus to support his weight.

My plan is coming together.

Magnus slid the blade in his left hand around a vein and carefully sliced through it, then another. When he felt he had cut enough he pulled hard. And with that, the Dragon Heart slid out and onto the ground.

"Look at it, it is beautiful," Magnus said in a deep and ominous voice. He opened the backpack he brought and slid the Dragon Heart inside. Jonah looked on wearily.

Ameresta Trillion stepped forward, "And no dying this time!" She looked around at the large contingent, but it seemed only Jonah understood her joke.

Magnus slung the backpack over his shoulders and said nothing to the onlookers as he passed everyone on his way toward Serenite.

The ritual can commence as soon as we find a special onyx infused with Obsidian magic.

Last edited: Jun 26, 2017
    Kabalyero, Berek, Vox Aquila and 3 others like this.
  2. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Act II - Pool of Destiny (Reserved for future use)

3. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

Act III - Sacrifice (Reserved for future use)

4. Magnus Zarwaddim

Magnus Zarwaddim Avatar

(Reserved for future use)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.