Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Major Trainwreck Incoming - New Players access to basic recipes for their "Class"

Discussion in 'Release 51 Feedback Forum' started by Vladamir Begemot, Feb 23, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

A new player recently expressed a lot of frustration at not being able to craft his early Mage clothing due to no Tailor being on the Mage starting path. He eventually wound up traveling all over the world, and was very frustrated. All he wanted to do was making some basic cloth starter gear.

Since we are about to launch, and we can deduce that new players will expect to be able to craft the basic items in their "Class," as designated by the Oracle, when getting to the first major city of that Path, I thought it would be a good idea to double check and make sure they aren't going to be in for a world of disappointment.

As an aside, for realism sake every major city would have all the craftspeople. No major city is going to be without a tailor, a carpenter, a blacksmith, an alchemist, etc.

Ardoris: Has everything! Lucky Lovers!

Aerie: No Carpenter, No Tailor, but we tease them with 2 Cloth merchants selling loom shuttles but no recipes.
    • For any Mage wanting to make his own cloth armor, this is going to be very disappointing.

Resolute: No Carpenter, No Tailor
    • We could pretend they import all clothes up there because Courage people won't usually need to make cloth or leather, but not having a carpenter means they can't make handles for halberds and bludgeons, which they may want to switch over to immediately.
    I know that we want to limit access to recipes, but I think the basic need to be available in the first starting city, particularly when they are directly relevant to the starting players who will go through there.

I saw 2 Trial and several new looking players in Aerie when I was checking just now, that's 4 people who will be disappointed if they want to craft their starting clothes before continuing onward.

This is in feedback because I don't think it was overlooked, and thus will not be considered a bug.

Elgarion, Vyrin, Hazard and 17 others like this.
  2. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

Good points on crafting supply distribution.

Chatele likes this.
  3. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Searching through each vendor in every town, without any guidance from in-game mechanics, just to find basic crafting recipes is fun!

This is a sandbox game afterall.

Players, especially new ones, will enjoy spending hours searching for recipes. Right?

Edit: please excuse the heavy dose of sarcasm in my post, I was a wee bit intoxicated when I wrote that ... just in case anyone is unsure of my meaning: I strongly agree with the OP.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2018
    Xandra7 and 3devious like this.
  4. Bushmaster

Bushmaster Avatar

Yeah this is a problem that has been around when they stopped the discovery of crafted items.

There should be a crafting quest that will get you the basics of your class, cloth, leather, chain.

5. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

You found the tailor in Vertas. This town is part of the main quest. The basic armor is, btw., discoverable...
    What is missing in the path of truth is the carpenter.

Aerie has three blacksmith...

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

A tailor in Vertas is about as useful to a new player on Truth as having the first blacksmith be in Harvest would be to Courage. By that point they've gone who knows where?

Ok, good to know on the basics. Since a lot of new players come through S Mart Factorium, I try to give them all a quick tutorial, I'll tell them that. But that doesn't help any of them over by Blood River. And we can't catch everyone, I've seen a lot of Visitors and new players showing up lately, this stuff needs to get set up correctly ASAP.

Numa and CrandalltheFoole like this.
  7. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

there are already crafting quest for one armor item in each questline....but still the whole armor is missing and would be a good way to bring them in on crafting

8. CatweazleX

CatweazleX Avatar

The tailor in Vertas is ok, since your are leaded to this town.
    The problem with the main quest is, that you are leaded to an blacksmith in Aerie. He has nothing for a mage. And, three blacksmith are to much in Aerie*. One should become a carpenter and the main quest should lead to this one.

*when i started with this game, i thought it is made for tanks only, and magery only there because rpg has such things.
    In Bloodriver you easy get metal scraps and ore, it is far more easy to get the raws for plate or chainmail armor and a sword, as for cloth armor and staves/wands.

can write a book for it...
    (but that would not given on a silver tablet)

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Very much agreed that Aerie needs some tailor.

Just a small note as a workaround if you happen to stumble over another such player.

All the Cloth recipes are discoverable since they are "re-teachable".

The only one they need to actually get is the Cotton Cloth Bolt thingie. That one can't be discovered.

For the rest send them hither:
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...-you-can-be-a-crafter-huh-think-again.111241/
    In that topic I also link to recipe resources etc so they don't need to buy recipes in vain.

10. Rentier

Rentier Avatar

but it can be gotten from the aerie crafting "merchant" with the crafting quest (is is needed fpor the inlay but then you don't need it... ;) )

Spoon likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.