Make reddit more positive.. attempt 2

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Preachyr, Jun 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

Personally, I think the combative attitude is a mistake.

Positive intentions pave the way.

2. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

OMG! You're Right! That's what Chris always says about stuff :p
    [​IMG] :D~TL~

Mykll likes this.
  3. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Well pick a topic :) get some people together :D What do you like most about the game o_O?
    As for me... umm... I choose Agriculture :) only because I know it's coming in soon :p Maybe it'll stink, I don't just know, but I sure am doing allot of it :D~TL~

CrandalltheFoole likes this.
  4. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

As someone working in education I can tell you positive intentions alone can be very harmful to any project or yourself. Conflict is a driver for everything. You cannot get rid of it... embrace it the right way to be successful. They try to avoid it here at all cost. That's why they fail to attract an audience.

Mykll, Spoon, hroth and 4 others like this.
  5. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

The thing about intentions is that nobody can know for sure what they are. Oftentimes, people are unaware of their own deeper motivations for things. And of course we all cast ourselves as the hero of our own narratives.

There's a fundamental principle in commercial/contract law called "presumption of good faith."

When certain people go beyond lodging complaints about the game to insinuating that the dev team made promises that they never meant to keep, or that they are somehow not trying to do the best they can, given their resources, there is an implication of impropriety that is actually a form of slander.

Montaigne and Time Lord like this.
  6. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

No, I'm saying if you turn up with that attitude then you'll have a negative experience.

Why does there need to be a consolidated group effort? We are all individuals.

Sir_Hemlock, MrBlight and Time Lord like this.
  7. MrBlight

MrBlight Avatar

Honestly. Open a real discussion on reddit is all it needs. And ports guys willing to say. Yes. No. Hey good idea. Hey no sorry we dont feel that way. Hey this is why we decided to go this route and hopefully this is the end result in that regard. Etc etc.. just REAL discussion like they do sometimes.

Its weird sometimes they answer things and its like oh ok, whether i agree or not its a valid response. Othertimes its like a simple question yet they seem to come off reading a TOS and keep it so vague the question or issue gets repeatee 10 more times.

Imo long as port talks to people like they r people, im happy. And focuse on productive convos.. not argue the fine print with someone who is just trolling

Sir_Hemlock likes this.
  8. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

It went this way because of over policing and the view that all conflict can be avoided and we should all hold hands and sing kumbayah.

9. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Because individuals have gone there and come back with a bad experience from there. Number of positive and correct posts are what matters, because without moving in numbers within a consolidated reason of positive intent for being there, then the toxic environment of being outnumbered by the naysayers, has that environment remain the same with no impact.

I know that when I think of the way our members and staff have come away from there, that being invited to participate there seems like being invited by a bunch of grievers just wanting fresh meat.
    Why would anyone wish to waste their time in a SOTA toxic environment like reddit?
    I think Chris did that already o_O... and the fine points are what we're down to here about the game. I don't even think that our own players that do post there are actually NOT disgruntled about some aspect of the game. I just think some are here back on these forums to pull support away from the game and join in on their pity party of not having been able to manipulate what they wanted in the game. People who enjoy controlling (root of the behavior "Trolling" ;) ) can be that way you know.
    ~TL~:rolleyes:

Frederick Glasgow likes this.
  10. Jaanelle DeJure

Jaanelle DeJure Avatar

I'm not sure I follow what you are saying. Do you mean that you find it alarming that Portalarium initiated a Kickstarter without having determined exactly how they were going to execute the plan?

Montaigne and Time Lord like this.
  11. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Hi Time Lord

It's a bit more prescriptive/didactic than my approach, but I like your thinking! And I think it's interesting that you have a "parallel universe" thread on Reddit where Rune and others feel the same way - an instinct to bridge communities.

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6ft77l/an_open_invitation_to_time_lord/

Personally, I don't know that we need a concerted effort, especially by Portalarium in any official capacity, when the subreddit has so few folks. What I've seen with Star Citizen is that members of the dev team do post infrequently and individually on technical game stuff (as opposed to business stuff)... after the Star Citizen subreddit hit 50,000.

Rather we just need more folks simply posting what they would post here, but post there. Yes, there's no moderation but there's also some strong critical thought. As someone posted earlier, conflict isn't necessarily a bad thing... in fact I think it's necessary in a community.

Here are my thoughts for folks to bridge out to our subreddit and populate it:

1. Learn how useful reddit is by subscribing to subreddits of your interest (Sota, Thailand, RPGs, WorldNews, etc...) and see the power of the upvote and (sorry Time Lord...) how nice it is to have the democratizing effect of no memes-no formatting - just the plain text!

(It's true that some use imgur for their meme fix ... but many redditors Just Don't Click!)

2. Next time you want to post on the forums with an event / observation about the game, try it over on our subreddit too!

3. If you meet our "counterparts" say hi and understand that heavy moderation on our forum has made them a little toasty. It's ok not to like moderation! They say swear words! They don't agree with things outside our collective control (and sometimes outside Portalarium's control!) They sometimes don't even play the game anymore! They are not afraid to call things out! But one thing I've found is that they are quite passionate in shaping and forming critical thought around our game which is great!

4. I've gotten trolled once, just expect it - it's the Internet. I was just exceedingly friendly to his remark and then the fellow responded and deleted his posts. This was not from regular contributors to the subreddit, just a random poster.

Cheers,

Ben

12. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Ill be honest, with all of the censorship happening here right now, even I am having to bounce to reddit to vent frustrations that I know will be censored here. I've had 10 posts deleted in the past week, some for ridiculously politically correct reasons, others for legitimate reasons (talking about the investment fund).

Serious work needs to be done by our dev's on the community/communications management front in this game.

Starr Long and Richard are truly great front men for this game and they should put these two guys and only these two guys in front of customers from now on.

MrBlight, Time Lord, hroth and 2 others like this.
  13. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Breaking news, looks like there's a small hiccup in getting a crowd over to our subreddit:

The subreddit moderator DigiBond (who has been quite hands off in my opinion) has been getting a lot of direct messages from the last week from True trolls (I say that because I think some feel that the "regular" subredditors are trollish, but I do not).

https://www.reddit.com/r/shroudoftheavatar/comments/6ftka6/state_of_the_sub/

He has implemented what's called a "karma gate" to prevent these one-off trolls from obfuscating the subreddit.

This makes it challenging for someone new to reddit to post only on our sub.

So for now, it's a great time to learn reddit in OTHER subs and post there gaining karma... and I'll see if there is anything that can be done to help open the karma gate for our sub.

EDIT: Looks like the karma gate has not yet been implemented. Whew! Get on reddit, people! :)

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Time Lord and Wintermute of CoF like this.
  14. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Unfortunately there is no merge option that I know of :(.

Time Lord and Mykll like this.
  15. Kpopgurl

Kpopgurl Avatar

I really oppose the idea of the karma gate. As it makes it hard now to get a more balanced view on reddit. But it was necessary because people outside of the fanboys harassed the owner and people on the reddit. There is no moral high ground here. The forum policy just created two blocks of people more or less. I was hoping to see more open discussion on reddit now. The constant posting on how terrible Port is for not delivering a story that the no.1 poster there likes, is as boring and mind numbing as the fanboy talk that goes on here time to time.

Sir_Hemlock, Time Lord and hroth like this.
  16. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Yes, it may be problematic just at a time there's interest in the subReddit.

The moderator has stepped back a tad and said he wants to digest response to his proposal for a karma gate... So now would be the time to get a Reddit account!

But it may also be useful for folks new to Reddit to see all it has to offer. Check out /r/GameDeals, for example!! :)

Sir_Hemlock and Time Lord like this.
  17. Wintermute of CoF

Wintermute of CoF Avatar

Seems like there is but it's not an intuitive process.

Mykll, Time Lord and hroth like this.
  18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Time Lord and Mykll like this.
  19. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Time Lord, MrBlight and Mykll like this.
  20. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I would have sworn that threads were commonly merged on these forums in the past under the former moderation authority.

Pickley and Mykll like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.