1. Threads will remain in the main wishlist section while being discussed. After being reviewed by the Devs for initial feasibility, and depending on thread activity, the thread may be moved into one of the two subsections
    How to post your idea:
    Create a thread with a clear title that describes what the idea is about. Only one idea per thread!
    Please specify either in the title of the thread (if there is space) or at the very top of your post, what type of idea it is, For example: Housing (Houses, Lots, etc)
    Example title: Housing: Epic Keep and Castle Size Homes other than Pirate Ships
    Be sure to include details about your idea. Devs, and or players may reply to your thread asking additional questions, so please be willing to provide more details.
    Please see the sticky thread marked **READ FIRST** for more details...

Make this game feel more MMO like..Easy Solution

Discussion in 'Wishlist Requests' started by Turok64, Jun 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I don't want single player online back ever in pots especially and NPC towns. I know it was disappointing for many of us of a lot of changes have recently been implemented that upset kickstarter promises. I too have felt some of that and have chosen to accept and watch the changes. I find that I want to say hello in our pot to players I never saw before who stayed in single player online before.

I want to help them if they want, trade recipes, show them how to sync a song, or anything else they ask about, but mostly I want to respect their privacy too after saying good day to them if it seems they want that.

If we had mercenaries to hire like everquest 2 I think that would be great for the very serious solo players. I have be that person in a game or two

No one should be forced to group like in ffxiv class quests were forced grouping and in that game players aren't always nice but we are not that game.

So this is just imo and the part I like best of the change is seeing the residents of Wizards Rest and wishing them happy adventures.

Chrystoph Reis likes this.
  2. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

Well...as we have a friend list that most avatars are not using for friends why not use the ignore list also for something slightly different?
    As far as I understood even in multiplayer mode you are separated from the people you ignore and you get a separated instance if you and someone you ignore are in the same scene....or did they changed that?

3. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

The ignore list, last time I checked, was limited to the number of people you can add to it. The friends list is not.

Besides, adding every player you come across to ignore makes no sense. Why put the onus of Selective Multiplayer on the individual player when we had a system that worked well. They could have made us jump through hoops to get INTO that mode, if it made the rest of the game happy, but way take it away completely?

4. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

AFAIK there is only a block list and its limited to 10 entries (would like to have an "all except friends")
    Is there an additional ignore list?

5. Lars vonDrachental

Lars vonDrachental Avatar

@StarLord
    Is it really just 10? I would guess that is a bug. ;)
    But maybe that was the reason why I couldn't add someone to the list and I thought it would be because of the special signs in the name...anyway if the mechanic is generally still working I thing too that the next best option would be "ignore all except my friends".

6. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

1. I am not feeling disturbed by other players. I like to see others on the overworld map and in towns. Still waiting for moments I remember from UO: overcrowded places ;) I assume it will happen next year!
    2. I only do not like, if other players starting to attack enemies, while I am just defeating them, without asking. That's a reason to go solo online.

Just because some have commented on the "missing" players, the mode has changed. Did it help? I doubt it.

I can not quite understand why some insist that the solo online mode should not be reactivated?
    Someone who does not want to use it won't. Period. That sounds a bit like the PvP issue. ONLY in that case we stayed hard: who goes into a PvP scene, must expect to be attacked and killed! That's the law!
    Okay, the Oracle can not protect us there, so the game logic is okay;)
    And of course, not all are assassins and live without ethics - alot of people, like me, just enter PvP zones to explore them ;)

I've noticed that alot of people are acting in single mode to harvest trees, mine ore or hunt without interruption from other players ...
    Well, if there were more trees in some scenes, this could certainly be different - but I doubt it, too ;)
    Kabalyero recently enjoyed the fact that some people claim that it's "their" territory when you enter a scene online * smiling *

I think, it should be so that players (individually or in groups) can play for themselves - even online - if they want it ..
    Pointing players to offline mode is not quite fair: Those players have co-funded this game in the belief that they can play this way (namely with their online character, if they feel like roaming the land alone).

This was and still is an important game feature for many ..

Reactivating it would not hurt anyone. I can't see the problem.

The only thing I would like to be changed is how we can switch from mode to mode. This should be more simple and an icon/information on screen could remember us about the mode we are in :)

7. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

If everyone else felt the same and behaved accordingly, then I'd have fewer complaints about forced-multiplayer in towns -- although it would still lag me down. Forced multiplayer causes performance issues as well as social issues. But even just on the social front, far too many people assume that if you're in a public place, then of course you want to interact with them. That puts the burden on people with ASD or other social issues -- or even neurotypical people who are just tired and not in the mood -- to handle the egos and expectations of the folks who assume their desire to socialize takes priority.

I mean, there's one POT near my home. I've tried twice to browse the vendors there, and I'm never trying again. Because both times, there's been one of the town stewards who insists on coming to "help" me, and it takes several minutes -- because again, as soon as she starts heading towards me, my performance starts dropping -- for me to extricate myself from the conversation without being rude. Remember, there's no tone of voice and facial expressions to make it clear whether you're issuing the same polite niceties with friendly enthusiasm or aloof courtesy. (Part of the reason I was determined to live in a PRT instead of a POT was so there wouldn't BE any stewards or governors who I had to be nice to whenever THEY wanted my attention instead of when I had social spoons to spare.)

And I suspect many of the less-dedicated MMO-style players still do not realize that we have forced multiplayer. If they don't play in single-player themselves and don't follow the forums or dev news, it's only natural to assume that the other people they see are in the same mode they are. Which I'd imagine is why when I try to play on the weekend and travel to the overworld, I have friend requests and party invites from strangers before I've even fully rezzed.

And it's not like SPO is a prison-lock that you can't get out of. If someone WANTED help, they could just switch modes and go find someone to ask for it. Being in single-mode in town should be a pretty obvious clue that yes, people DO want to be left alone at the moment. At the very least, they should give us a title that SAYS "Private Mode" or something so the gregarious types will know we want to be left alone.

And then, of course, we've got the advanced players who steal kills from newbies in the outskirts, where newbies in private mode aren't given any notice that they're in forced-multiplayer. Had that happen twice. I can understand why they would make some of the advanced scenes forced-multiplayer, don't necessarily agree but I understand it. But telling us private-mode folks right off the bat in the outskirts that we're not welcome and our needs don't matter? What a brilliant decision that was. *sigh*

I really need to stop getting drawn into discussions about this, because I'm just repeating myself (and probably repeating what other people have already said too).

If you're in Private Mode, it does tell you right under the scene name.

8. Fungus44

Fungus44 Avatar

Once my physical box turns up I was keen play again, but a little piece of me died to hear I'll be forced into multiplayer mode for towns and maps; maybe I'll have to role play being a grump old man if someone comes up to me and starts 'chatting' or worse still, invites me to a dance party :eek:

Bedawyn likes this.
  9. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I understand all of that. It was not an easy decision to change this but we can't at this moment have it all. Perhaps when the game population and funds are more stable they will feel more confident to change it back which has happened on a few things. So many things to still improve upon as mentioned and I do get what you are saying. At least in a adv scene the choice is there.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  10. StarLord

StarLord Avatar

Little bit off topic:
    I loved the old streams from the webpage or youtube. Have been watching almost all since start, the live streams had been a must see for me.
    But since a few month with Twitch I cannot bear the new format. There are too many jingles and optical distractions like bits.
    It feels for teens only (maybe I am getting old...)
    Is there a way to only watch the main window/dev inlays WITHOUT the Twitch fuzz?
    I am missing the old format.

Bedawyn and Paladin Michael like this.
  11. Alley Oop

Alley Oop Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

no, but it depends on who's running the stream. chris is set up with all the bells and whistles, but if you catch list or sannio streaming it's much calmer.

StarLord likes this.
  12. drrhodes

drrhodes Avatar

Every once in a while I think about trying this game again. Then I see a discussion like this and realize this is not the game I contributed way too much back when. Single Player Online gave me certain advantages over Single Player Offline. I have no desire to play a forced-at-any-time MMO. Bad move SOTA staff, you've lost another player. No doubt the griefers are happy though.

Can I get my money back? After all, if they can change the promises, then I should be able to get my money back.

13. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol no money returned. It was all voluntary contributions. Well the game has greatly improved and even though you do hear some gripes as with all games there is a lot that was added that is great, well depending on when you played last. I am Majoria in game if I can ever help you catch up. Altho I'm out of game helping out with my mom until Sept 22 starting tomorrow, but I'll be around the forums occasionally and discord.

14. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's unfortunate you feel that way because SotA has become quite good.

15. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

The only forced scenes in the game are the overland map, towns, Outskirts and pvp zones. All the rest you can happily run around in solo mode.

Completely fine with this personality.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2019
  16. Bedawyn

Bedawyn Avatar

Assuming, of course, that you'll be happy not having a home, never selling your loot, not being able to buy from vendors or NPC merchants, not doing town-based quests (including the ones in the MAIN STORYLINE)...

It's frustrating when people say "only a few places are forced-multiplayer," as if those places were a tiny fraction of the game that could easily be ignored.

17. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I'd be fine with the overland map and pvp zones. However, towns and outskirts are examples of why this is horrible.

In towns, multiplayer takes 3-5 times longer to load the scene, and is far more laggy while in the scene then the same scene was in single player. Since you have to do almost all of the quests, ALL of the crafting, and ALL of the economy things in towns, this makes the game NOT FUN TO PLAY unless you have a high-end system and great internet. I have some moderately recent hardware and fiber internet, and I can go get coffee when trying to load Central Brittany (which is where I, somewhat unfortunately now, chose to set up my shop). Walking around more than a couple other players are within sight is a slog.

Outskirts are even worse; they are the main introduction to the game, with ALL of the problems that towns have above, plus FAR more players. Competition for resources and mobs make it seem like this will be a horrible thing, yet after you leave the outskirts the issue is non-existent. It frustrates new players, which is unfortunate because these are also some of the best scenes in the game as far as polish and atmosphere.

Even then, it would be a fight with some of my friends. Any forced multiplayer is going to lead to unwanted /whispers, guild invites, friend requests, and general annoyance. Those are easy to avoid when no one else can see you, but breaks us out of our "selective" multiplayer where the only people we saw were each other.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2019
    Astirian and Alley Oop like this.
  18. Curt

Curt Avatar

Wonder how many % uses each of the modes

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.