Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Max Durability Loss Rate

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Noric, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. agra

agra Avatar

Apologies for the bump, but I ran some more tests on this in build 426 just a few minutes ago.

First, the results:
    [6/3/2016 5:54:52 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 99 now. swings:62
    [6/3/2016 5:56:08 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 98 now. swings:58
    [6/3/2016 5:58:29 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 97 now. swings:64
    [6/3/2016 5:59:46 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 96 now. swings:58
    [6/3/2016 6:00:42 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 95 now. swings:40
    [6/3/2016 6:01:44 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 94 now. swings:47
    [6/3/2016 6:02:40 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 93 now. swings:44
    [6/3/2016 6:03:32 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 92 now. swings:39
    [6/3/2016 6:04:43 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 91 now. swings:16
    [6/3/2016 6:05:48 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 90 now. swings:48
    [6/3/2016 6:05:53 PM] Player (To Player): one max dur lost, down to 99 now
    [6/3/2016 6:07:12 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 89 now. swings:52
    [6/3/2016 6:08:50 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 88 now. swings:70
    [6/3/2016 6:09:35 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 87 now. swings:31
    [6/3/2016 6:10:48 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 86 now. swings:56
    [6/3/2016 6:12:26 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 85 now. swings:76
    [6/3/2016 6:13:48 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 84 now. swings:61
    [6/3/2016 6:15:27 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 83 now. swings:75
    [6/3/2016 6:16:41 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 82 now. swings:27
    [6/3/2016 6:17:48 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 81 now. swings:52
    [6/3/2016 6:18:46 PM] Player (To Player): one normal dur lost, down to 80 now. swings:41
    [6/3/2016 6:18:55 PM] Player (To Player): one max dur lost, down to 98 now

Then, the testing conditions..
    Level 52, Naked, Buffless
    No gear equipped except a 2 handed axe
    In Ardoris, using a gustball as a target.

Testing procedure:
    I repaired the axe with a COTO, then exited the client, started in Ardoris, in my house, summoned a gustball, ensured the gustball was my target with the big red reticle, and pressed auto attack.
    When normal durability dropped one, I made a note in a whisper to myself, then resumed auto attacking.
    Similarly, when max durability dropped one, I made a note in a whisper to myself, then resumed auto attacking.
    After I dropped down two max durability, I went back through the log and counted all the lines between normal durability loss, and added those numbers to the log entries. (swings: xx)

My hypothetical explanation of what's going on here. <IMHO>
    So, one surprise was that every 10 normal durability, you lose one max durability. The moment you go from 91 normal durability to 90 normal durability, you lose one max durability. In my case, I went from 100 to 99 max durability.
    Similarly, the moment you go from 81 normal durability to 80 normal durability, you lose one max durability. In my case, I went from 99 to 98 max durability.

Based on the wild variations (16 to 76) of swings, I believe normal durability damage is a proc. That is, when you hit something, there is a small chance it will damage your weapon. It's not like every hit erodes exactly the same amount. It's not predictable.
    OR
    Every time you hit, your weapon takes damage, it's just the amount of damage varies wildly, and mimics the behavior of a proc.

In either case, here's the problem: The rate of normal durability loss directly affects the rate of max durability loss, because of this "lose 1 max every 10 normal" thing that's going on.
    Due to the wildly unpredictable nature of normal durability loss, this has a profound randomizing effect on the rate of max durability loss, currently, in build 426.
    </IMHO>

Happy to post the raw log if anyone wants it, just let me know.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Spoon, Bluefire, Anvar and 2 others like this.
  2. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

@agra
    Interesting, I wonder what happens if you repair it at 90/91 current dur each time, would that mean it doesnt break...

Noric and Time Lord like this.
  3. HiTekRedNek

HiTekRedNek Avatar

I'm sure someone has probably posted something about this, but I decided I wanted to just start fresh, give my own perspective, and I really didn't feel like searching every post to check and see.

Maybe I'm a bit old school, since I'm the type of player that enjoyed it when I was self sufficient. In most RPGs/MMOs I played I used to have multiple characters that supported my main. Now, with the way they have changed the skill tree and learning system, theoretically, if I take my time and work hard enough I should be able to be self sufficient on one character, and I like the idea of that. I spent my time, so far, running around making me a decent set of weapons and armor in the game. It took me a while, about 2 weeks, to get all the mats together so that I could make my armor, and to have extra for when something failed on the enchantment and what not. I've been using that armor. I go in, run around explore and kill stuff with buddies, and up until this latest patch, I would take the time at the end of the night, to repair my armor and weapons back to the max durability and make sure I was ready for what was to come the night after. Now, we have this new system where I can no longer take care of my own weapons and armor and repair them back to max without having to rely on the RNG gods to decide I'm worthy of a crown drop, just to repair one piece. As much as my friends and I have gone out and ran around, none of us have had one crown drop, and of the other people we know in the community, they have had about 5 drop for them, and this is a group of people much larger than our little dungeon crawling team. I'm sorry, but I have to say that I think this is just wrong. If you train your character in crafting to be able to make, and maintain your own arsenal, you should be able to do so without having to rely on the luck of the draw. You should be able to take time and invest in making that really really nice set of armor, and that nice weapon set, and as long as you repair it and maintain it, you should be able to keep it. People say, "but that breaks the reality of the game... you shouldn't be able to keep repairing the same armor and weapons, they should eventually break....." To those people... you just answered your own question... it's a game. It's okay that you can repair things over and over again. If a person is lazy and they don't want to repair their stuff, then they can let it break, and they can go buy another one, or pick one up off a mob, but if your character has the skill then you should be able to repair it without any special drops. People have also said... "If weapons and armor never break, then there won't be a player driven economy." Really people, I mean come on. I know I have played my fair share of games, and all the ones that had strong player driven economies all had the ability to repair your equipment, or some of them didn't even have a durability stat in the first place. The one thing you need for a player driven economy to work doesn't have anything to do with durability at all.... the one thing you need is a person who would rather pay someone else to do the work for them. People will still buy your stuff, because there are always people out there willing to pay someone else to do it for them; I'm just not one of them, usually, because I would rather craft it myself. Now, one of the last things that kinda irked me a bit, was that it seems, the better you make a piece, armor/weapon/etc..., you take a hit to durability, so the piece is more powerful but it needs to be repaired more often, or it breaks sooner. Am I the only one that finds this to be completely backwards? I would have thought that the better you make something, and the more resources and time you put into something, then it should be better, not worse. If you are able to make a master work sword, and then you are able to get the max enchantments on it, it should gain durability not lose it.

I know it may not seem by what I have put here, but I am just being blunt, I can say that so far I have enjoyed the game, I've experienced very few game breaking bugs or issues, and that I am truly looking forward to how things pan out. I probably won't post again on this thread because I have spoken my mind and how I feel and I feel no reason to justify it to anyone else. I hope they realize that this whole "repairing max durability requires a RNG drop idea" is ludicrous and that they will allow people who have put the time in to get their skills up to be able to repair the items they craft. For those people that want to do nothing but craft and run a shop in this game, I would give this advice. Find a guild or group of people that you can service, and become their blacksmith/clothier/crafter. Don't be discouraged, because there will always be people out there willing to pay you do do the stuff they don't want to do, or don't have the time to do.

ADDITION

After a long thought process I have decided that speaking my mind this way without offering a solution then I am not helping to fix the problem. Our idea... once a character has reached a certain level in crafting then they can repair any non broken pieces without the need for crowns, it should only cost resources unique to the item (i.e an Iron sword would need iron ingots, etc...) this would mean that people who are crafters would still have a market for doing repairs for those people who do not wish to spend the time developing the skills to repair their own items; but, I still stand by my previous example in that this is a game, and that as long as the item does not break, it should be repairable.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2016
    Bluefire, Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  4. Gurney2

Gurney2 Avatar

Erm, if you are a very good crafter you can make exceptional items which adds durability on it (the exceptional bonus). I bought a sword with high str and dex enchantments ; its an exceptional item and it has more durability than a non enchanted normal ( non exceptional sword) sword.

Crafters are still able to repair stuff, just consider the crown as a new reagent for repairs.

Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  5. Neronomica

Neronomica Avatar

I think that's besides the point of what he is getting at. You should not have to rely on a random number generator to get a item to repair its durability to max. Enchanting aside, HE does have a viable point. Now with enchanting and exceptional items, I still believe that you should not be penalized for having a enchantment on a item. Whats the point in have a enchantment on a item when its more likely to break. An enchantment should enhance the item, not take from in to give it something else. Just my view.

Time Lord and Leelu like this.
  6. Leelu

Leelu Avatar

Your concerns are very understandable. I too am a little befuddled by this implementation, but we must play with the cards we are dealt. As has been explained numerous times , in every fashion and form, it is a major component of the games sustainability. So perhaps ,we just have to start looking at this from a different perspective and see how we can adjust it to our own style of game play. Aggravating , yes. Out of the comfort zone, yes. Hard to grasp, definitely. A lot of things that have progressed are way over my head. I usually find a way to adapt and keep an open mind. Hopefully you shall as well.:)

Ice Queen and Time Lord like this.
  7. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

Mh @Chris i thought the max DUR would only go down when the item gets repaired or enchanted?

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.