Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Max Durability Loss Rate

Discussion in 'Release 30 Feedback Forum' started by Noric, May 26, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. r-DotPhunky

r-DotPhunky Avatar

I agree that the max durability loss is still a bit too high. In about 4 hours last night playing in the mines I lost 8 max durability points on my daggers... granted the attack speed is obnoxious but that's alot of loss for 1 evening's worth of play.

I agree with Elnoth above me here... maybe half the value again.

2. Anvar

Anvar Avatar

I started a post on it here, didnt see this one, https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/f...m-durability-loss-too-high.51707/#post-565156 Pasting contents in here to keep info together.

According to the patch notes with the changes to not being able to repair max durability it was meant to drop at a lower rate, it certainly doesnt appear to be.

I made a new chainmail chest and legs from meteoric iron, I have 23 armour preservation (+5.8% durability effectiveness). After about 1 hours play, and not solid combat, we worked our way mining through from Serpent spine mines through to hilt fortress, killed the lich and ghosts and undead at the bottom then through to resolute. In this time I made about 1k of loot when sold so that gives you an idea of the time in combat.

My chest piece is now 142/142 (max 150) and the legs are 96/96 (max 100)
    At that rate the set will last me 15 hours of gentle played, probably about 8-10 of major fighting and will be utterly destroyed. and thats approx 130 ore needed to make just the chest.

Max dur needs to drop at about 1/10 the speed at the very most.

Imo a better way would be simply that it only takes a max dur hit on each repair attempt, or death?, or alternatively the chance of max durability dropping is inversely proportional to the current durability
    ie when your item is 99/100 it has a 1% chance to lose a max Dur on current Dur loss,
    when your item is 10/100 it has a 90% chance to lose max Dur

personaly Id halve those values so its 0-50% chance to lose max dur depending on condition of weapon.

3. agra

agra Avatar

Rates are too fast. If anything, they're faster than they were before. 10 swings of a 2h axe loses a durability. 10 swings.

When you can literally watch your gear break down as you're playing? It's too fast. Forcing the gimmick of the Crowns on us is bad enough, but this? Insult to injury.

Time Lord, zyxe, Chatele and 3 others like this.
  4. helm

helm Avatar

This is an excellent idea!

I'll also try to post some numbers when I have more time, here's just a quick visit to Sequanna Colossus; about 370 shots with bow (assuming that one rapid shot glyph counts as one shot) delivering about 15k damage, received about 900 damage (to armor), killing 2 Ebon Cultist Champions, 1 Ebon Cultist High Wizard, 5 Ebon Cultist Marksmen, 11 Elder Wolves, 6 Huge Corpions and 1 Rabbit.

Durability changes:
    Supple Epic Leather Helm (77/77/80)->(76/76/80)
    Supple Epic Leather Chest Armor (97/97/150)->(96/96/150)
    Supple Epic Leather Leggings (97/97/100)->(96/96/100)
    Supple Augmented Leather Gloves (49/49/50)->(49/49/50)
    Supple Epic Leather Boots (49/49/50)->(48/48/50)
    Rock Maple Long Bow (85/95/100)->(64/92/100)

Not a lot of damage to armor, but the bow took some durability hit. The sample is too small but I'd estimate my bow to last around 14-18 hours of normal continuous casual use before breaking -- assuming that repairs to not reduce the max durability any further (I'm not very well versed with the exact mechanisms yet). This feels way too fast, given that bows are huge resource sinks. How much the leather armor would last is impossible to estimate because of the small sample.

Time Lord, smack and r-DotPhunky like this.
  5. Noric

Noric Avatar

@helm thank you for adding more archer numbers. I would say your numbers match pretty well with Roper's.

If seems like armor is not nearly as much of a concern for ranged players. This makes me wonder whether anything needs to happen specifically for melee armor to make it sustainable. At first i was thinking extra durability on heavy armor or another passive in that tree - but there are probably light armor melee to worry about too.

Weapons seem pretty universal in their durability loss.. And i would say it is clear at this point that it is too fast.

Time Lord, Chatele and helm like this.
  6. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

After one day of adventuring (not non-stop however it was for many hours):

Chest: 83/110 (25% decrease)
    Leggings: 66/80 (18% decrease)
    Gauntlets: 13/40 (68% decrease)
    Boots: 15/40 (63% decrease)
    Sword: 45/80 (44% decrease)

@Chris at this rate I'm going to need to replace my gear every 2-3 days. Maybe dial the max durability rate down quite a bit and equilize the armor pieces so that they all get to zero at about the same time? I'd hate for my boots to break every day however my chest lasts 4 days. Thoughts?

Time Lord, Aldo, smack and 1 other person like this.
  7. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I think the maximum durability loss should be 50:1. That is, when your item losses 50 durability then it loses 1 maximum durability.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. Noric

Noric Avatar

@DarkStarr said earlier that one of the patches slowed it. System seems kind of weird still though.

Time Lord likes this.
  9. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

We patched a 50% reduction in at 11 AM this morning. How much of your playtime was after that patch?

10. Sara Dreygon

Sara Dreygon Avatar

Zero. All was yesterday.

And thank you @DarkStarr.

11. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Ah. Great. You had me scared there!

Time Lord, losludvig, NRaas and 2 others like this.
  12. agra

agra Avatar

Patch 419
    Auto attack with a 2-handed axe.
    Lost one (1) non-max/normal durability after 55 auto attack swings. Repaired, repeated and got the same results.
    Prior to this in R30 (patch 416 maybe?), I lost (1) non-max/normal durability after 10 auto attack swings, so this is a definite improvement.

Time Lord likes this.
  13. Noric

Noric Avatar

I was down in the rise a while - lost like 15 max durability on my axe. Maybe 80ish regular durability.

However, after mining a bunch of stuff there and fighting 100 or so elite level mobs i still didn't see a crown drop.

Time Lord, Chatele and Aldo like this.
  14. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

ok did not play much in the last 24 hours but here is the change after the last patch

listed first is a copy of first 24 hours then will be the current at 48 hours (played a lot less in the second 24 hours)

cloak 90/95/100
    ring 30/39/40
    necklace 30/39/40
    bow 31/56/80 ouch
    hat 68/73/80 brown highwayman hat
    chest 84/91/130
    legs 66/72/80
    gloves 17/22/40
    boots 19/24/40

48 hours

cloak 93/93/100
    ring 30/39/40
    necklace 30/39/40
    bow 42/49/80
    hat 69/69/80
    chest 68/68/80
    gloves 19/19/40
    boots 20/20/40

hope this helps im still in a 3 to 4 day of pure grinding to loosing a full suit of armor. 2 days tops on a weapon if it had full enhancements and masters on it the suit would be gone all ready.

15. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

Even after the lastest patch the max durability loss is way too high. After making a new bow i went to Etceter mines to gather some gold for enchanting and fought 20 mobs max. To my surprise i lost 4 max durability points on that bow, which is a lot since i also use some magic and the slimes and thugs in there only last a few hits from me at most.

I pity the melee types that are decked in fully crafted plate, i really do..

In my opinion a item should last a lot longer max durability wise. At least a full week of real time play. That's 168 hours of gameplay, which should give people at least the chance to replace their crafted gear. Or try to find some crowns in-game.

Edit: I forgot to add that this is with weapon preservation at 60 and i am using a obsidian potion that grants a longer weapon durability. That's a total bonus of 40%.

Last edited: May 29, 2016
    Time Lord, Sara Dreygon and Chatele like this.
  16. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

It seems like instead of just adjusting the durability loss rate for all items that it would make sense for there to also be some adjustment to the original maximum durability of different tiers of gear now that items are no longer permanent.

The diminishing returns on time investment for gear in Sota is really steep. That makes sense with permanent gear, because although it takes some time to gain a small added benefit, it's only a one time investment. Items becoming non permanent throws that balance of of whack and makes basic gear much better relative to higher quality gear compared to when gear was permanent.

Wouldn't it make sense for higher quality items that require a larger investment of time to craft to also last much longer than easy to make or dropped items?

edit: It also seems like having those crowns in the game is going to make it a lot more difficult to get this right. They basically put a cap on how durable you can allow items to be without becoming practically permanent.

Time Lord and losludvig like this.
  17. Athanil

Athanil Avatar

While crafting a item you can get a "crit" which gives it a bonus of 50 max durability at the moment. So there's that at least. However, enchanting or masterworking it will lower it again varying between 20-5 max durability per enchant or masterwork. And having a bonus of 50 to max durability will only make it last longer for about half a day. It really depends on how much you fight.

Also i think the plan was to give bonuses to weapons (and armor?) after extensive usage. For example: I killed a thousand undead beings and now my weapon gaines the "undead slaying" bonus. I can't see this work if you have to use a coin to repair your weapon each and every day.

Leostemplar, Time Lord and Lazlo like this.
  18. Noric

Noric Avatar

@Lazlo you are absolutely right about the gold crowns complicating the situation.

I do not think that the benefits are too minor, but i do think that the benefits are too concentrated in masterworking and enchanting versus the matetial bonuses right now.

The biggest flaw i see right now is the variable durability between slots. From a material perspective it makes a lot of sense, but from a repair perspective you are essentially punished for repairing stuff that has less durability.

I would suggest an extension of the system others have mentioned about making repair items from crowns. I think 2 repair shards from the crown and letting item slots with low durability use a single shard while others use 2 would fix the issue.

Time Lord and Lazlo like this.
  19. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

Yes, the durability loss is pretty fast... I repaired everything I had using gold crowns, then went to Soltown sewers, fought 7 bandits & 1 archer, lost 3/2 to my chain chest, 2/1 to my chain helm and 2/2 to my Hali, and those only took me like 3 min to kill'm all... I sure hope this changes...

20. Roper Docholiday

Roper Docholiday Avatar

to create a epic plate suit of armor this is the raw resource cost. I used the BMC pricing guide as the market value of items. We all know some items sell much much more in some locations and a bit less in other locations;however, for the base of the argument we are using their current market value.

bronze / bronze/ hardened leather epic plate

144 copper ingot = 115,200
    144 tin = 172,800
    16 hides=400
    2 Beatles= 3,000
    42 salt = 336
    misc expenses= 1,000 ie burnt fuels on fails worn out tools etc

total value of just the raw materials to build the suit not including suit creation process is

This is the base epic suit to get a crit which will be needed for the next part is unknown; however, it follows suit with other crafting trees at the moment it's a 1-in- 4 chance to crit the item so you will need to make 4 of each piece.

total value of a crit epic plate suit is now 1,170,944

now we add in if we want to make a 2x mastery and 2x enchantment. On average (if statistics stay the same from testing on lower end items is consistent) takes 10 items before you successfully create the 2x2 master/enchantment on the item.
    so the total cost now is 11,709,440

now add 2 gems to the chest piece value varied between 3,000 to 6,000 a piece.

this number 11,709,440 gold for a full suit does not include
    weapon and/ or shield
    necklace/ summoning whistles
    ring
    cloak
    belt
    instrument

I have no intention of breaking those parts down for this lesson here. however safe to say that is another large chunk of change there as well. just to make numbers here real easy to add up i will round the value listed above to the next whole number

12,000,000 total value of just material cost that is still with zero profit to the crafter who is making this suit.

What do you think the time it took to create that suit is worth? I'll let you decide how or what you pay your crafter with.

Now according to the dev hangout i last listened to please correct me if i am wrong that the game expects the avg player to be able to make 250 gold per hour is the expectation. That number was also used on how to determine the taxes a player would spend on housing.

So if i divide 12 million by 250 an hour comes out to 48,000 hours, or 2000 days, or just shy of 5 1/2 years of playing non stop around the clock.

So let's go back to even the base epic plate suit at 292,736 that is also 1,171 hours of game play to pay for that not counting crafter fee.

The suit does not even last 3 days. with moderate grinding not even close to the type of grinding you would be doing to try to make 250 gold an hour.

With this system in the current status crafters will not be able to survive. the limited amount of players that are willing to pay the high crown cost to save a suit is far less than those not willing to buy crowns. this pushes more players to just buy npc armor for a cheap rate to throw away every 2 or 3 days.

For my friends and myself who were into creating elite and god type armor currently do not believe that it can ever be a financially sound market to do so. We are currently moving over to just buying npc armor and crafting deco at least its value is permanent and won't disappear or be broken in a week.

Damn sorry guys once @DarkStarr or @Chris read this deco will have a decay rate as well. It would only be fair as it wears out as well over time.

Bluefire, Time Lord, Elnoth and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.