1. This forum section contains Blog style threads from the Developers, and/or threads with details about what they have been working on, previews of upcoming content, and sometimes backstory associated with the content. Players are permitted to reply to these threads if the developer has indicated it is permissible by leaving the thread unlocked. Please note that TOS applies, and any abuse or trolling will be moderated.
    Dismiss Notice

More Moondial Madness!!!

Discussion in 'Developer Work and Blog posts' started by Scottie, Apr 21, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scottie

Scottie Master Artisan SOTA Developer

Oh yes,...don't worry,...as Bowen mentioned,...we won't be selling or allowing players to craft the golden/bronze Darkstarr Moondial version... That really will remain exclusive, as far as I know... The silver version will simply be a new rendition of it, and will most likely be equally as exclusive in its own way, depending on how they want to offer it... I really do want to make sure the other "craftable" and "ornate"newer versions are different enough visually, but share the same functionality...

I'll talk with Richard and see if he'd be amenable to me shrinking down the constellation symbols a tad bit more... The main goal is to make sure the runic lettering is still legible for the average player... They've already been shrunken down 20% from what they originally were, so to us these already look smaller, but they could possibly stand a wee bit more reduction, as long as Richard is keen with it...

Scottie ^_^

Time Lord and Solazur like this.
  2. Scottie

Yes indeed,...and part of the reason for making them as large as we intend to make them (which hasn't been fully nailed down yet) is so that they can be used as town décor... The "lot-based" naming conventions I mentioned earlier were merely what had appeared on my task, but with the understanding that they might appear in the middle of some player-owned town as well as on the larger roof-tops... Once I have a more complete "ornate" version, I'll start testing out sizes and see what you guys think! ^_^

3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

NOTE: Updated OP with screenshots with logo.

Scottie, Time Lord and Barugon like this.
  4. 2112Starman

2112Starman Avatar

Been checking the add on store every hour for days now for these things, get 'er done! :)

Time Lord likes this.
  5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

Love the artwork Scottie! It really is a beautiful piece. Sadly, I do not agree with the business decision to re-skin a rare item. With Shroud is seems "rare" means "rare for a season".

Time Lord and Sir Frank like this.
  6. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

The store versions won't be coming until R42 at the earliest.

Time Lord and Solazur like this.
  7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

Is the DarkStarr Moondial going to be renamed? Last I heard, I think @DarkStarr wasn't thrilled that it was named after him. I wouldn't be opposed to a name change.

Time Lord and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  8. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Thanks for your reply, I appreciate it. Ya readable for the "avg" player... heh... my tired old eyes understand

Time Lord likes this.
  9. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

We could have a naming contest. To be honest.. when I bought mine, I was under the impression for some reason that the DS moondials would be the only ones in game. I won't try to say I'm not...jus a *tad* disappointed. Was thinking folks would have a need to seek out those places where they were.. alas.. now everybody'll have one :-(

10. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I agree, I am also disappointed. Their value has certainly dropped a ton, but it's not like it's the first time original backers have had things like this happen so.... ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Every time people say something like this is makes me scratch my head. Just what value to players attach to digital candy? Where is the loss of value because someone else has something similar? And no promises where ever made or implied at a player's sense of value on any object. Only that very specific objects would be obtained through pledges.. and in many cases stated that similar items would be available.

Scottie, Time Lord and Alley Oop like this.
  12. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Well, it certainly makes the term "rare" a joke. I remember reading the description of an item ages back (no idea at the moment what it was ) but there was a line in it that said "can you say rare"
    At least going forward I have no illusions.

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Rare ultimately being relative. They sure didn't seem rare after persistence with so many backers having theirs out and quite a few people it seems having more than one. The darn things are all over the place. Technically however.. the Darkstarr Moondial is still as rare as it was ever going to be. There may be other moondials that anyone can get their hands on.. doesn't make the Darkstarr moondial less rare. The only thing that's changed is how much value you assign to it.

Now me.. I never assigned that much value to any of the pledge rewards. Result.. none of my expectations in regards to these things have been affected. I just appreciate that I have what I have and couldn't care less how many other people have the same thing. I didn't pledge to get a town lot because only so many people will have town lots. I wanted the lot so that *I* could use it!

Anyway.. I'm rambling now sorry.. I'll shut up now. :)

Time Lord, Alley Oop and Solazur like this.
  14. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

The same way people attach value to real physical goods. Lots of variables, but rarity can be an important one.

Well, for good or bad, we're not all you. :)

15. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Well no matter what our opinion of there now being more of the items we own (or don't) there's no taking away from the fact @Scottie kicks serious ass with his work. Mea Culpa if I inadvertently derailed this from the OP. Such was not my intent. Sorry Scottie

16. Scottie

Oops!!!! Damn,... I'm sorry about that! I really am... I totally forgot the logos!!! It's been awhile since I've done a posting.... I know it's kind of a pain in the ass for you to fix this after the fact... Please forgive... (embarrassed)...

Scottie ^_^

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  17. Scottie

That's no problem... And I really appreciate the compliment!

We each feel what we feel when it comes to specific likes and dislikes... I totally understand... I also know that decisions will get made for the sake of progressing forward with any process that cannot possibly please everyone when varying opinions are at play... Just know that all civil voices are gladly heard, even if they cannot always be satisfied...

Some folks see a material change as good enough to make an item unique, while others find that opinion flawed, and feel their golden rare item is devalued by a silver version...(as an example, in this case)... All I can say is what we won't be doing is making the gold one available again, to my knowledge... For some that is enough, for others it's not...

Having these opinions and being willing to voice them while still maintaining civility is, I think, an excellent basis by which we all contribute to the community! I'm not bothered by it at all, my friend! And I truly appreciate your concern, both for the decision, as well as for my feelings! ^_^

Last edited: Apr 27, 2017
  18. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

@Scottie I don't think that there is anyone who has even a smidge of poetry in their soul who would not be moved by your creations. Some things can't be faked... your sincerity and passion come through... in your work, when we see you on hangouts/telethons and also in text it appears. A true gentlemen. As to likes and dislikes.. hey, everybody's a critic. Keep it up, and thanks for your heartfelt reply.

-sol

edit: I guess it'd be fair to say there's a lot of us with passion in this game :)

19. Scottie

Will do,...and you're welcome! ^_^

You KNOW it, my friend! ..... It's MORE than fair to say that,...and it's a pleasure to behold!

Scottie ^_^

20. Scottie

It would be incredibly amazing to find out what it would actually take to get the most possibly "mechanical" of these (the Craftable Version) to actually function as a real desktop object in the really, real world... A wind-up mechanism or something... Surely there are those that could manufacture these?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.