Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

More Quests

Discussion in 'Release 54 Feedback Forum' started by By Tor, Jun 2, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

I think this game is lacking one main thing: the need for more quests. There are countless emotes, items, gear, etc.. (which is a good thing).. but the quests are lacking. Daily quests and more quests in general would help this game a lot, imho.

2. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

We need the Quest system up and functioning properly first....

3. Paladin Michael

Paladin Michael Bug Hunter

The first UI change (Quest Journal) will come with next release. I am excited about the changes ...

I would say: there are a lot of quests - and good quests - inside. The quality of them should be forced, not the quantity.
    When I remember WOW and the amount of quests ... well: a lot of them were not really interesting, just to have something to do for players.

Consider, that the whole Hidden Vale will be polished to a high tier place - with that further quests will come in.
    I think this will happen until end of this year. I assume kickstarter for Episode II will be the next highlight end of year ...
    So developing of Episode II can start 2019. And this means: more lands and new quests will come along :)

New players focused on storyline have to do a lot of stuff to finish all.

It is very important that the Journal and Dialogue system is polished to have more fun and not to be distracted from technical stuff ...
    And the process is on a very good way, as I gave some feedback here.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
  4. Gix

Gix Avatar

What this game needs is a display of quality rather than quantity.

[​IMG]

They might've not been interesting but they were simple quests that'd sends me off to different corners of the map and reward my time with items. By the time you completed all of the quests in any given area, you have seen all you had to see in said area. The very definition of a themepark, I know, but at least it was something.

Best of all, they weren't buggy or left you questioning the writing.

In contrast, here we have plenty of "go talk to X character and say Y keyword" which all have the same looking obstacles/enemies in exchange for some gold... I'm typically a fan of the idea of simply giving me gold as a reward; it has value and is usually weightless in games... but I don't get the see the type of items that's possible out there. None of them drop and I'm not about to roam countless of player vendors to look it up either.

I spend most of my time now avoiding the quests (because the experience is that horrid) and aimlessly roaming around random scenes to kill the same looking enemies. Often times, I log off after killing 2-3 of them because I have no objectives to speak of... You'd think one who focuses on combat as much as I would be thrilled to clear out the many, many, many sieges that plague Novia (partially due to the excessive use of shrines) but you need a solid group in order to pull it off.

Granted, I expected more from the legacy of Ultima but if WoW type quests is what will take to make me appreciate the game more... so be it.

It bears repeating that while they should, indeed, work on quests, the last thing we need right now is more of them.

5. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

+1000

Currently there are way too many partially-formed and buggy quests. The game has been "released". Often, it still feels like iterative development pre-release... throw something incomplete in and fix it over the next 5, 10, 20 releases or whenever fate deems that it can be a priority again.

6. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

While i agree that things are incomplete Sota is by faar not an game that ranks the top ten i that regard, I would be surprised if things work all flawless.
    EQ 1 was from a big company and they had to do a few rollbacks for data gone wrong, servers breaking down and so on (ok it was big and kinda new but still)

Roycestein Kaelstrom likes this.
  7. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

I agree with you. Not asking for flawless here, but there is a history of development in this game (I've observed it for five years) that didn't change at release. The limitation is dev work hours. An example might help. Let's say there's only dev time in a release to add three partially-designed, partially-completed quests, or one quest that is well-designed, fully functional, and somehwat well-tested. There may still be bugs in the latter, but it would be far better than having to wait three more releases (roughly months) to get the three buggy quests up to snuff.

Or what has been more the case, is seeing a buggy quest added, then not having any clue as to when there might be the time to get around to fixing it. Some don't care - as long as they can tick the steps they need to get whatever reward is offered, then so what? That's more of a sandbox-MMO player, which is certainly a gaming style many find fun and I respect. Others, like me, find it fun to enjoy the story, the dilemmas, the environment, the characters - the depth of what an RPG (even an MMORPG) can be. There are still a few of us left like that I think... maybe? For me, the buggy and half-baked experience is not enjoyable. If you need insight into the current state of quests in SotA, see my posts in the feedback section.

8. Steevodeevo

Steevodeevo Avatar

Definately don't disagree, more is always good, but questing in sota is a little different to many cookie cutter MMOs in my view. There is probably more repeatable content than is immediately obvious. Collections, puzzles, sieges, and even random encounters are similar to dailys, but just a bit more left field and in my view, varied and interesting.

Roycestein Kaelstrom and Koss like this.
  9. Pounce

Pounce Avatar

While i even resort to cheats and mods to really find every little quest in FO and Skyrim i firmly avoid quests in Sota (beside shroud, that was kinda an must)
    I wait until they are sorted out.
    In the meantime i gear up and skill up, quests are soooo much more fun if you can focus on the quest while the scary things in the dungeons try to nibble through your armor!

10. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

I do have to say, I bought a second slot during the telethon and have been following the 3 Virtue quests and so far, it’s been relatively bug free (compared to my first experience with my main character). So awesome job there. :D Though I am now on the Love one now, just started it....

The keyword system is still not working correctly, it’s still highlighting words that have no more additional information. But I’m pretty sure they are aware of that.

11. Feeyo

Feeyo Avatar

I do agree that we need more quests, and I am sure the devs know and are working on it.
    But the last couple of days I have been visiting some towns and to my surprise there are loads of quests to be found. More then I thought.
    Also to note, I would really not mind doing some quests of kill 10 of these and bring back some leather to a vendor/crafter to receive some gold + experience.
    Having small quests hubs in towns would be cool.

Maybe we could add a central quest giver on every city/town that gives quests and pulls them from a quest pool internally based on AL.
    This would be a lot easier for the devs to create an internal central quest repository and just push quests there that are being fetched by those quest givers.

Heck, they could even give us the option to select if we are looking for a individual quests or group quests that sent us through the more harder parts to loot items.

I for one, would love to help out creating quest content. I am sure other would love to help out also.

12. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

I recently started the side quests and actually was astounded how many there were.

1. The twelve banner quests.
    2. The fifteen virtue armor quests.
    3. The three companion gear quests.
    4. The two parchment quests.
    5. The two hat quests (tinfoil and bandage).
    6. The two League of Skulls quests.

And those are just quests that give you items!

Paladin Michael, Lexie and By Tor like this.
  13. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

7. The Four Magic Print quests (or really one quest with four rewards)
    8. Many areas that have one or more self-contained puzzles (not "quests" in that they do not appear in your journal)

To add a few more.

It's actually worth doing a forum search for "Release Instructions" and scrolling through each one as there is a section on "Side Quests" that highlight the ones that have been added. It will help give some direction if you're at a loss of something to do next.

Paladin Michael and By Tor like this.
  14. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Yep, I will put together a list! It's amazing!

Feeyo likes this.
  15. Dermott

Dermott Avatar

The biggest problem of persistent online gaming will always be that it is MUCH faster to consume created content than it is to create it. Thus there will always be a point when the player base is clamoring for "more quests". There are already scenes that players (myself included) can look at and go "It would be cool if this area had this much more". We are fortunate that even without a monthly subscription fee that we are getting monthly updates at all, and especially updates the size we are getting.

Rada Torment, Feeyo and Alley Oop like this.
  16. Floors

Floors Avatar

Well, you should stop doing this because for one, it's just dumb, and two, it's going to make you not want to play the game.

Quests have had issues, and the really sad thing to say is that the game improved a lot from R52 to R54. Release should have been delayed another 6 months IMO.

Just the improvements to combat sounds alone in R54 was a big deal perceptually....

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  17. Ben_Hroth

Ben_Hroth Avatar

Agree, agree, but honestly I can't keep up some months.

We have:
    • Quests for sets (banners, virtue armor, companion gear)
    • Quest for items (tin foil hats, wooden ducks, white ducks)
    • Quest for emotes (heart attack, pick nose, spin)
    • Quest for art (bunny paintings, virtue parchments, elemental prints)
    • Quest for tours (shardfall cloak, etc)
    • Quest for puzzles (Rinaldi's great thread)
    • Quest for blessings (and what, at least 10 blessings now?)
    • Quest for recipes (log cabin, elven lighting, kobold chandelier)
    Never mind Quests for XP and Gold.

Paladin Michael likes this.
  18. Halfwitte

Halfwitte Avatar

This game needs a point. Right now there isn't an end game point. There's no gear chase, no reason to group, no challenging worth while content, no worthwhile loot, no meaningful PVP, no meaningful quests with meaningful choices, not even a meaningful reputation grind, just a meaningless grindfest to level up skills that only end up hurting you by costing you more xp when you die. No real way to make your character feel meaningful other than the time invested as most of everything in this game can be bought off the market place with your Discover card anyway.

Moiseyev Trueden and By Tor like this.
  19. Gix

Gix Avatar

I'm open to suggestions...

20. Floors

Floors Avatar

There's so many in this thread all ready.

Do you mean to tell me you have completed the 3 paths quests, the oracle quests of the colossi, gotten all the pages,

done all these:

1. The twelve banner quests.
    2. The fifteen virtue armor quests.
    3. The three companion gear quests.
    4. The two parchment quests.
    5. The two hat quests (tinfoil and bandage).
    6. The two League of Skulls quests.

???

If so then I suggest waiting for Episode 2 :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.