Moving to Twitch for livestreams

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Doctor, Jul 17, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

You Are Correct ;)!

I first saw it on YouTube when I was looking for Ultima Online videos :D
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

2. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

So You Tube has worked for 31 releases but now someone wants to move to a shaky, weak method?

Who was that genius?

Stick with what works if it is not broke don't . . . .

+1 for sticking with You Tube.

BTW this is stating to be a pattern :-(

FrostII, Net, Link_of_Hyrule and 10 others like this.
  3. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Boy is it ever.

Ice Queen, Acred, agra and 3 others like this.
  4. Berek

Berek Portalarian Emeritus Dev Emeritus

Unfortunately, Google Hangouts only goes to 720p, so it's severely limiting on us being able to show the game on these telethons and postmortems :(. This is just one reason we're considering eventual expansion of our livestreaming capabilities.

We are going to try and expand the current telethon capabilities to both Google Hangouts AND Twitch, so we give you the option on which platform you wish to use.

Does this work better for you guys?

After the telethons, we will be using Twitch more aggressively, at least in the non-group settings, such as game demos, art walkthroughs, etc. Google Hangouts may still be used because of its conferencing capabilities, but only because of that benefit.

Just to reiterate, even when using Twitch, the output can go to YouTube, so you won't be missing the contents.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    Daxxe Diggler, Skizz, Enziet and 8 others like this.
  5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

":)~Time Lord Approved~:)"
    [​IMG]
    ~Time Lord~:D

6. Enziet

Enziet Avatar

You can use twitch more yeah sure. You'll hit a younger audience. Just be prepared... Don't pull a Blizzard Entertainment and act all shocked when your chat get flooded by idiots.

Again make sure to keep using your YouTube as well though, as people such as myself and many others that you can see in this thread will not use flash to watch on twitch. Just upload the Video afterwards will keep most of us content :).

7. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I probably won't be able to watch either, regardless of where it is broadcast. I'm just hoping Avatars Radio will simulcast the audio so I can listen. If there is something I need to see, I can always check the YouTube archive later.

8. Derium

Derium Avatar

Twitch is seriously a terrible website. I've streamed for years. The headaches you get with Twitch are not worth it. YouTube gaming might now be huge yet, but I have had zero issues with streaming to it.

I'm not a huge YouTuber, but I've been there long enough to have been around the block on both services.

9. Derium

Derium Avatar

You don't Twitch higher than 720p either... I hope you are not trying to go higher than that on that platform. Yes the option is there, if you enjoy massive frame rate drops o_O

I'm on a $6k X99 4k machine with 50,000 subscribers online. I'm not talking myself up here, just saying if you're looking for more than 720, Twitch will bottleneck you at that point. YouTube is the only stable enough platform to even try higher res. But still, no one on Twitch or YouTube expects higher than 720 (live, 1080p recorded, most people don't have true 4k monitors yet). Because well, that's the current standard ;)

P.S. if you Twitch, you need to make sure your bots are are set up correctly and you use off-site dashboards for controlling your stream. The current expectation is of course chat bots, but also the other "fun" bots. Also, for the love of God, use a clean, crisp overlay, otherwise no one will stick around. Because people that watch Twitch expect a Twitch set up, otherwise they would watch YouTube videos. Remember, both are for video, but they are for completely different content.

Last edited: Jul 19, 2016
  10. Derium

Derium Avatar

I fear you might be being short-sighted on this. Twitch might be more popular for random streamers, yes. But how popular? Expect a random stream to get 7ish viewers. You do not have a well known personality leading the charge, so the random people coming to the stream will be less than ten AT BEST. Once you finish the stream NO ONE will go back and watch the old streams. However, on YouTube once you're done, it's automatically processed and uploaded on it's own. Then it's there to gather eyes over time. I only have 50k subs across all my online platforms, but my YouTube still gets a constant 100,000 views every 48 hours. I promise you my past Twitch streams get less collective views than the few thousand that are subbed to me there.

Don't focus on how many watch it while live. Focus on how many people will watch it OVERALL. And when it comes to that, YouTube dominates. PLUS when you go live on YouTube it will alert not only all of your subs, but anyone currently on your channel. That's a much further reach for you guys/girls than playing a not-popular game on Twitch with a not well known personality.

Not saying you guys are not worth the views, I'm just saying you're jumping into a community (Twitch) who doesn't know you and won't search to find you. I'd first focus on HOW you'll get an audience on Twitch. Do you know any other streamers to host you? That's the key to Twitch. However, those people search for your YouTube. For example: When I'm on stream with boogie2988 and we talk about my channel/twitch, his fans don't go looking for my twitch stream, they go looking for my YouTube channel. Youtube is simply the "go to" choice for people. Better viewing experiences, better res options, better sorting of content, better storage of content, ect ect.

11. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

[​IMG]
    Won't use Twitch. Security, lag, expecting me to hand out more cash. Nope not gonna do it. Shame. Oh well, just go blindly into the abyss.

12. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

As a twitch streamer personally. I am not against this decision. I question your sanity in making a move from something that works to something that you are uncertain of how it works... but as a twitch streamer myself.. I find nothing wrong with the format. You will still need to leverage the google hang outs or something in order to get multiple people on the stream with you, unless they are all in the same place, you can get their voices but you won't get their images without a third party program. Zoom is a great choice if you are trying to escape from Google Hang outs.

Just because i need to ask, as I also do the youtube streaming.. Why the move? YouTube is a great foundation. I might even recommend using both. Twitch, edit, post to youtube. It is how many do their live streams, not all, but many.

As for it requiring money - It doesn't require anyone to spend money to watch. Or to even stream. However, if you wish to donate to the streamer or subscribe to their channel it does. But then people who do a normal stream are doing it for entertainment reasons and deserve a bit of love for what they are doing... Just saying.

But then, I might be a bit biased.

FrostII, Acred and Time Lord like this.
  13. Amber Raine

Amber Raine Community Ambassador (FR)

I also wanted to point out that YouTube can stream at higher then 720p...

This might help - https://www.h3xed.com/web-and-internet/youtube-audio-quality-bitrate-240p-360p-480p-720p-1080p

Also - YouTube *is* able to be streamed on your android device... I don't own an IoS so couldn't tell you but maybe this would help...

http://www.androidcentral.com/youtube-101-how-change-video-streaming-quality

The rate at which your video is posted is based on the settings you pick when you start your broadcast and your own computer. Youtube *can* and does handle higher settings then 720.

I think I now know why I like Berek so much ... ~looks at this thread and a couple others~... have we had so much chaos amongst our community before? .... Nope.. Embrace the Chaos ;) :p (For those who can not read sarcasm... that *was* sarcasm* ;) )

14. Onyx

Onyx Avatar

Ok. Thanks all. No Twitch for me as I am too bashful to Flash.

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

No Twitch here either........

Leelu and Time Lord like this.
  16. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I hope this isn't true twitch is terrible it's laggy and never works. YouTube is 100% better and looks others have pointed out twitch uses flash player and doesn't offer html5 unless you pay them $8.99 a month. Please stay on YouTube. What's the reason for switching? I don't see how you would ever have everyone on the steam using twitch instead of Hangouts anyways. Didn't we use twitch originally and move away from it because it was so terrible?

Acred, FrostII, Net and 1 other person like this.
  17. Birko

Birko Avatar

Time Lord, that was probably not appropriate.
    Esoteric, and I chuckled, but probably not appropriate in this forum.

Time Lord likes this.
  18. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

This page says YouTube will stream 1080p @60fps so that's not a problem. I don't think it's a bad idea to stream to twitch and YouTube but as i stated above from my experience twitch is terrible and it never works good for myself and many others especially those of us that want to stay flash free. There's absolutely no reason that I see to leave YouTube. If you want to broadcast to both cool but if you are going to switch completely to twitch this is a very bad idea. As for twitch getting html5 they are going to milk people for $8.99 a month as long as they can if you want that feature. It's not that hard to switch a website over to html5 and they just want to charge people and make money.

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853848?hl=en

FrostII, Time Lord and Womby like this.
  19. Ronan

Ronan Avatar

Amber, no money if you enjoy advertisements every two minutes interrupting the feed, and the slowest video ever! Been there done that. Hard to follow a presentation when it skips and stops etc.
    Just letting my voice be heard, I know it won't change a thing, money talks much louder than common sense. Three pretty significant issues for my not using Twitch. Nothing Portalarium does will change that.

20. Senash Kasigal

Senash Kasigal Avatar

I dont like Twitch. I will watch the recording later on YouTube. Its anyway night during the livestream in europe.

Senash on Tour, send with
    Tapatalk on Windows Phone 930

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.