My build

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by High Baron Asguard, Aug 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

I was responding to another thread on what skills people want and I was thinking of the character I wanted to make

Good aliened Necromancer with a snake as a non combat familar

The sorts of spells I want are the ability to summon skeletons and\or zombies
    Ritual magic which could be used to roll play for example talking to the sprits of the dead
    Death magic
    Healing skills for both myself and other people and my summons
    potions crafting
    and lore

2. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

>necromancer
    >healing skills

Pick one.

Goblin King likes this.
  3. High Baron Asguard

why don't you think someone who works with the dead wouldn't have a working knowledge of anatomy which would make healing a logical fit to?

licemeat and postulio like this.
  4. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

Oh well, maybe.

I just prefer to see a necromancer as someone who has succumbed to the dark side of magic so much that it is hard for him to perform any magical action that involves calling on the energies of life.

Tho of course its just my point of view, it doesnt have to be this way at all.

Goblin King likes this.
  5. High Baron Asguard

Actually there are lots of areas where necromancy is either neutral or good aligned, the necromancer in Serpent Island wasn't evil, the necromancer in Diablo 2 (and the books) was neutral or good. Even the Ultima 8 necromancers weren't objectively "evil". However so what? Its a character I created so what does it matter if he is good aligned?

6. Vyrin

Vyrin Avatar

Is a character a real character or just a random bag of skills and stats? You seem to like the latter. However, this is supposed to be a "role-playing" game.

So I will make my question painfully obvious so you can understand... What is the STORY and SITUATION and BEHAVIOR that makes for a good-aligned necromancer? As in, I would be really interested to know if you've actually thought through it.

7. High Baron Asguard

considering its the character I have had since I started playing D&D updated yes I have

8. Sir Frank

Sir Frank Master of the Mint

It's just hard for me to believe we have people telling other people that their fantasy isn't valid.

Erth, Archaaz, Chalk White and 2 others like this.
  9. Myth2

Myth2 Avatar

Now that this thread has neared rock bottom, we could use a few cases of the subjectivity of evil.

1) Let's start with Dunmer in Morrowind. They practiced necromancy, raising their ancestors to guard their sweet dark elf loot. A lot of groups still maintained that such an act was evil (or something similar to evil) and scorned or outlawed it, but the dunmer who practiced it saw it as a birthright and were generally open to the thought of being summoned through necromancy to protect their offspring after death.

2) To refer to Dragon Age, bloodmages seemed to be evil for the most part, but there was nothing stopping the player from being a good guy blood mage (admittedly, you have to kill a few good guys along the way in defense).

3) Similarly, in Star Wars (way before the movies) there was a time before Jedi and Sith when Jedi practiced and honed their skills with both sides of the force. During this time, it was not uncommon to have outlaws wielding light side powers and heroes force choking things to death.

The point of these three examples is to show that, arguing over whether or not someone's fantasy idea for their character(s) is valid, is unnecessary.

BillRoy and enderandrew like this.
  10. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

I agree with Mordecai, too.
    In fact, OP's build is not the problem. We could vew necromancers in a couple of different ways:
    1. A practitioner of evil and dark magic, a cruel personality deformed even more by the dark powers he channels. He becomes so bound to evil and destruction that eventually he is unable (nor willing to) channel magical energy in a positive fashion(for example for healing).

2. Someone, who studies the mysteries of life and death and probably dabbles in the art of raising the undead. He however remains detached from his studies, to him this is just science and can't corrupt him in any way.

Both types are legit, I think.

P.S. What I see as a problem however, is the fact that many people are drawn to the idea of "evil" yet they can't truly devote themselves to it even in a computer (or tabletop) Roleplaying game.
    They want just a touch, a taste of that "evil" without being really evil themselves.
    And thus in UO and many other RPGs we see black knights picking flowers in their gardens, or evil wizards giving gold to newbs because "aww sweet newb, i feel so sorry for you, i once was poor and weak just like you".

11. High Baron Asguard

Considering the fact that RG wants us to play as US I wouldn't expect to see very many truly evil characters considering that I doubt sociopaths play games and if they do we need to weed them out because they are the sort which wreck it for everyone else anyway.

As for why I haven't written my back story on here why would I want to considering the reception I got just posting my build?

12. High Baron Asguard

Yes actually, I'm not talking about people playing evil characters, I'm talking about true antisocial personality disorder, ie the sorts of people which destroy a community be it a game or anything else. These are the griefers on steroids.

Anyway that's beside the point, the point was that we are supposed to be playing ourselves and if you are putting yourself into the character most people wouldn't react to someone offering you 10 gold to get there cat out of the tree by tying the little girl to the tree and setting it on fire and stealing all there money. Those kinds of people are quite rare in the real world so its no wonder that you rarely see people playing that way because it goes against your general nature. Personally I find playing a female much more natural than I do playing a truly evil character

licemeat likes this.
  13. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Blacksmithy
    Carpentry
    Anatomy
    Healing
    Stealing
    Snooping
    Hiding
    Stealth
    Magery
    Mining
    Lumberjacking
    Swordsmanship
    Parrying/Shields
    Musicianship & other bard skills
    Paladin/Knight related skills
    Oh yeah, sure, Necromancy

My "lore": I am one of those super rare but often talked about Single-character-only-online-game beings. I totally make sense, I am super man. :rolleyes:

TemplarAssassin and licemeat like this.
  14. TemplarAssassin

TemplarAssassin Avatar

You are not the only one ;)

15. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

*sweeps through, broom in hand*

First time I've had to clean up this much Troll bait in a week. Lets keep comments productive folks, even if the point of views differ.

16. Devoid

Devoid Avatar

Hold on Mordecai, this thread hasn't hit rock-bottom until it degenerates to Nazis and Hitler! Or had it done that prior to FireLotus' clean-up action?

17. InsaneMembrane

InsaneMembrane Avatar

*puts his steroids down*

Who started this party without me? I haven't had much to do with Mordecai yet, but he doesn't know anything about rock bottom when I haven't posted in a post yet...

18. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

@FireLotus

Awwww, the post @licemeat had about palamancers and necrodins was awesome!

But in all honesty I do want to do all the things i mentioned in my build, I just don't know how i'll RP such a character...

licemeat likes this.
  19. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

See, I think playing 'oneself' online is boring. It works much better in single player where you go through the game thinking about what you do and how you would react.

Online, however, I don't want to interact with others as "myself" i do enough of socializing as myself in the real world, both socially and in my job, so online I want to RP different characters; "a day in the life" so to speak.

I absolutely want to RP (and trust me here, I am not alone) an evil p.o.s. character. It doesnt make me a sociopath nor does it ruin the game. If anything, it will give the white knights someone to actually fight rather than kill NPC skeletons all day long. Yeah, i will burn **** dooooowwwwnnn! But I will also want to RP an artisan and a white knight myself, we'll see how i'll be able to do that (already got two accounts so there will certainly be a good and bad persona of me in this world).

I hate the assumption that all PKs and trolls online as disturbed individuals in the real world. It simply is not true. Most "trolls" just like to unwind online and see how far they can take things, some like to sit back and watch how others react and some (believe it or not, I know these people) troll just so they can test out sociological theories.

PKs, while yeah, in UO there were a bunch of young players who were less than kind to people who RolePlayed, just prefer to fight the system than work for it, because many of their lives are filled with working for "the man". Who doesn't fantasize about being a pirate, well part of that is looting and pillaging (and killing etc). I know no one who would ever actually do -or even consider- that stuff in real life, yet we "roll" together in games killing everyone in our path. "Sunday Night Slaughter" before the next workweek =D (and many of us actually RP it, its very fun)

20. Isaiah

Isaiah Avatar

I can see how it could work. One option is to be a dual school mage "healer and necromancer". Another way of handling it is to have a form of necromantic healing that uses some form of corrupted undeath as a healing mechanism. So I guess your arm would have a withered scar form in place of a wound. LoL

Just an idea.

On a side note ... a bit off topic .... the people who wanted other playable races.... Maybe an undead race could be the first new race added to the game in a later episode.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.