My (SoTA) New Year's resolution

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ManaPlow, Jan 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ManaPlow

ManaPlow Avatar

My SoTA New Year's resolution is to find a way to improve my virtue of truth. I've searched high and low on the forums, and the only suggestions I read are to correctly tell NPC's my name. I've have been trying that with every NPC I meet, but the Oracle still tells me I hold this virtue in disdain. :(

I know "now" I made some wrong choices early in the game before I knew what the consequences were. I understand that taking candles and cups are stealing, and see how they would lower my virtue standing. But I am still struggling with the virtue hit I took when I gave a key to a quest-giver. No matter though, I am ready to make amends.

I wish there was a Penance system that would require me to complete quests or tasks to improve a virtue, or even something like a confession system. If any of you are aware of ways to improve the truth virtue, I would love to know what they are. Until then, I will continue to properly introduce myself to each and every NPC with hope I am making headway.

Happy New Year to all, and hope you find joy and fulfillment in completing your New Year's resolutions! :)

Thwip, Kara Brae, fonsvitae and 3 others like this.
  2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Happy New Year to you. Well the oracle does give you a hint of what you need to do. Like she told me on my path of courage that The island of Norgard is struggling with the need for courage. It does give a few hints, altho I do get to use courage in daily tasks like ridding the lands of trolls, skeletons, and other creatures I'm sure. I am in agreement with you though about there being more to it which I do believe is the future plans as well. ;) Welcome ManaPlow to Shrouds. Let me know if I can help anytime. Well you probably know I am Majoria in game since I do write on the forums a lot ;) but I'm in game now as well, multi tasking lol ;)

Leelu, ManaPlow and Nadomir like this.
  3. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

I fully agree and not only regarding the virtue of truth... I always try to be truefull and still the oracle tells me, I hold the virute of trueth in "some disdain". I think I'm really a nice and caring person. Giving beggars money, talking to guards, asking vor names, saying "bye" before leaving, have completed some of the quests of the path of love... and still the oracle tells me, I also hold the virute of love in some disdain... I valiantly fight against attacking undead or bandits, only running from a fight, that I cannot win (and that I didn't knowingly start) and still the orcale tells me, that I havn't have done anyting on the path of courage yet...

And then people ask me, why I do not trust thar stupid metal head of a big sister watching me?

That whole virute-system is very confusing and misleading to me.

Leelu and ManaPlow like this.
  4. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

@Nadomir. Well if you click on the oracle and ask about the path of truth she says "the elves of the vertas plain search for the truth of their lives. How will you guide them?" Now I do not know if that is a hint you can do anything with, but it certainly sounds suspiciously like a hint. ;)

fonsvitae, Leelu and ManaPlow like this.
  5. ManaPlow

ManaPlow Avatar

@Majoria - Thanks for the suggestion. I will have a deeper conversation with the Oracle and look for clues. I spoke with the Elves of Vertas, but will do so again! ;)

@Nadomir - I too have been giving coins to every beggar, and asking NPCs about their health, jobs and if I can help them (with hope it makes a difference, even for Truth). :D

Although we can no longer see what our virtue score is (last time I could, it was -221 for truth), I fear it will be a long road ahead to improve it. And yesterday I accidentally shot 2 guards in the clink. I was aiming for the Kobald, and accidentally had auto-attack on! *Sigh*

Nadomir and majoria70 like this.
  6. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Oh yes, I have read those hints from the oracle and some of them might or might not help. And it is true, that I havn't started the quests-path of courage. My point (or issue) with the oracle (beside my dislike of being snooped on all the time) is, that the whole system is not very plausible. There is in many senses and very obviously even from an in-story point of view a system at work here. And not a very sophistocated system, but one that seems to be unfair. It's nothing I hold any grudge about, since the whole game is state of uncompletion. Many parts of the game only exist in early versions the oracle and the whole virtue-system being just one of them. There is still alot of work to do. But since the virtues are such an important part of the whole philosophy of the game, I hope they don't neglect this particular part of the game. Right now I don't feel, the oracle has even the slightest idea of what I actually do or do not or what this means for my true standing with love, truth and courage.

My idea would be, that any and all action do have some kind of impact on my virtue-standing. But that impact needs to be much more sophisticated than now. The feedback from the oracle needs to improve much more, too. The devs already have made some progress here and of course an oracle should be "oracloulous" and kind of mysterious and vague in what she tells. But right now the oracle feels more like Big Brother from 1984 to me. Simply not very helpfull at all, but creepy.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol yes true, she is very strange and he does have lock jaw or something;) I know the system is not complete by any means as all systems in Shroud of the Avatar. The way Richard explains is it's not a virtue like right or wrong and you are bad or good it just determines your journey by the choices you make. So we shall see. I know much more is coming. ;)

edit 'it' is a 'she' lol ;)

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    Nadomir likes this.
  8. Stundorn

Stundorn Avatar

I did some love quests, some courage quests until it was broken for me after talking to Grannus , because Ambassador Essen won't talk with me, I gave coins to beggars but I have to answer allways no I do not to get my reward.

I am the Seer of Drachental and i wondered about the Oracle when it talks to me about DESTINY, because... well... :)
    I assume that Oracle knows nothing about Destiny at all :D

But I would like to wear the virtue Robe, but not until it shiftd blue.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2017
    ManaPlow likes this.
  9. Nadomir

Nadomir Avatar

Yes, that's how I understand the oracle, too. She (he... it... whatever) does not judge one or telling one what to do. But right now the oracle and me simply have some very diferent views of what I do (in game) and how to judge it. I feel so misunderstood that it kind of hurts. But as I said: I know it's a work in progress far from being finished. I just give my expression of how I feel about it right now as feedback for the team. I'm sure there is alot more in the pipeline and I'm patiently waiting to see more of it.

Btw: patience is the one virture I truely miss here... but I know it's one not easily modeled into any kind of measure-system... I mean... how do you want to measure patience?

majoria70 likes this.
  10. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

lol oh I do understand being here since Nov 2013 and lack of patience has many times tried to escape and run rampant ;) j/k but we take many deep breaths and when new things and good things happen it is always so exciting ;)

11. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Do you want the oracle to decide for you, what the truth is? Join the movement against the oracle, and decide for yourself what is truth! Let the oracle have its clanky opinions!

12. ManaPlow

ManaPlow Avatar

LOL, good point. But I don't want town guards chasing me (nor bounties on my head), so the label the Oracle gives me may have an unwanted impact in the future, even if my version of the truth is different. For now, I will wear my red cape of shame proudly, and continue to do what I believe is right. ;)

13. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

Correctly telling ones name will avoid problems (incurring more truth virtue penalties for misstating ones name) but it will not help burn a previous penalty. You may have read my post in another thread where I suggested that correctly telling ones name would be a great way to slowly burn away truth penalties, but this was a suggestion only.

I am also searching for a penance path... looting bodies at the Solace Bridge massacre is where I (and many others) lost a lot of virtue on the path of truth. I'm confident a way to correct our virtue errors will surface.

ManaPlow likes this.
  14. ManaPlow

ManaPlow Avatar

Thanks fonsvitae - I will keep the faith that there will be options to reverse the damage. I started the game prior to hearing that looting the fallen would result in a truth hit. I was so used to looting everything in other games, but I'm now very careful about choices. Instead of basing them on previous games, I try to think about what I would do IRL.

fonsvitae likes this.
  15. fonsvitae

fonsvitae Avatar

I am confident there will be a path for correction because... there has to be. There is no way virtues will be implemented without also a corresponding way to make good. The Solace Bridge massacre issue where so many easily slip up only compounds the problem, but even without that, the devs would still be bound to make a path for penance.

Your idea re how to conduct yourself in game in light of the virtues is a good one.

ManaPlow likes this.
  16. Thwip

Thwip Avatar

Just a heads up to anyone new reading this, taking decorations out of areas where you just killed everyone also results in a Truth Virtue hit.
    And I am in agreement, I would love a way to improve my -2000ish Truth score. :eek:

I got a lot of cool jugs and jars though. Also lettuce.

17. mercster

mercster Avatar

I worship the Oracle.

Myrcello likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.