Necromancer stuff

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Lady Zita, Jul 31, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Ah sorry, that was not input for the game, that was just a moral inquiry into a theoretical world where necromancy exists. This since someone claimed that necromancy was always evil.

2. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

But Necromancy is evil as defined by a polite society.

3. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

really?
    Pretty sure that a primitive society would consider a lot of modern medicine to be necromancy and witchcraft. Like CPR and defibrillation, for example. Brining the dead back to life using "lightning"

4. Naysayer Argent Red

Naysayer Argent Red Avatar

Are the people of that polite society still going to torch and pitchfork the necromancer who raises the local cemetery to save them all from an orc invasion? It's much better for the dead to die again rather than the living, right?

But the answer probably is yes. Because people are ungrateful. :p

mbomber and Net like this.
  5. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

But why would a necromancer do that when he could just let the orcs torch the village, then raise them and the cemetery as undead servants hmm?

mbomber likes this.
  6. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Not the same thing at all. Necromancy is an unsanitary, grisly practice while those things you just mentioned are more akin to "healing magic" lol

mbomber likes this.
  7. High Baron Asguard

That's your opinion
    you have never been in surgery have you? Its fascinating but "grisly" certainly describes watching someone's inflamed gallbladder being cut off and then mashed up so it will fit through the hole while there liver is being scorched by a soldering iron.

Not to mention battle field medicine

But anyway that's all beside the point, if people want to play good necromancers what harm does it do you? you can be as evil as you want while my character is good and someone else plays a balanced character like the necromancer in Diablo 2

mbomber and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  8. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Because it's stupid? What motivation would a "good" character have to dismember stinky, maggot filled corpses and reanimate decomposing carcasses other than to cause mayhem and distress? Do you think the average person would be happy or reassured to see their non-sentient 5-year dead mother's corpse rise from the grave to fight by their side? Since we are just tossing OPINIONS around, why don't you chew on that one for awhile.

9. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Hmmm, I am having trouble refuting that one :)

Perhaps there is room for a 'good' aligned character to experiment on corpses for the sake of medical advancement in this medieval era , but somehow they became a bit demented in their approach?

mikeaw1101 likes this.
  10. Naysayer Argent Red

Naysayer Argent Red Avatar

My good necromancer likes the mechanics and hands-on aspect of putting skeletons together and patching up zombies. Sure, he could just be a tinkerer and make automatons, but necromancy has an appealing naughtiness/taboo and nobody ever said he was particularly wise. He has an affinity for it, he's good at it, and he makes the most of his powers. For him that means using those powers to the benefit of himself AND others. He hates evil necromancers almost as much as he hates bandits because they both exist on the misery of others and don't give anything back.

mbomber likes this.
  11. Robby

Robby Avatar

Necromancers are controversial characters, and most of society would probably prefer to avoid these seemingly shady people. I guess you could say that in general, they are not good or decent people, what they do is definitely counter to what is the normal culturally accepted moral boundaries. But just because someone isn't quite right morally, and maybe even a bit twisted or demented does not neccessarily mean that what they do is pure evil.
    Just take away all the cultural(or personal) bias toward the idea of having the power to raise someone from the dead as a killer zombie. So you have that power... does that make you evil to have that power? I guess it depends on how you got the power in the first place. It also depends on what you intend to do with that power. Maybe a non sentient 5 year dead mother was the closest corpse to animate from the dead to use in battle against a giant troll attacking a village?

mbomber likes this.
  12. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I'm sorry! Have you ever read or watched Mary Shelly's Frankenstein? Do you know how the Western Medical Tradition got started? Have you ever had someone you care very much about go and DIE?

Good people get motives to do that sort of thing. The vast majority of the time, they DON'T TRY. But in a world full of magick...

mbomber likes this.
  13. Razimus

Razimus Avatar

I'm probably gonna be a Necromancer myself, big fan of Pagan despite those who weren't, it was the original Diablo, and speaking of Diablo, I like the new Diablo-style detail added to corpses, when you loot a corpse now the body moves a bit just like in the Diablo games! It's a tiny tiny tiny detail that most games don't add, glad they added it, I wouldn't mind the movement being slightly more, but it's def an improvement.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  14. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Uh...yes? And why do you both insist upon trying to equate necromancy with medicine. McFly? They are not the same thing IMO. When someone is dead, they stay dead; by definition artificial life is unnatural - that's why it's called UNDEATH.

Now I enjoy playing necromancers in video games as much as the next nerd, but trying to reify some kind of "Dr. Necromancer, M.D." just sounds ridiculous. The two concepts are mutually exclusive.

Are you a doctor?​

15. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

But how did he learn necromancy in the first place? Was it taught to him, or are you approaching it from the standpoint of an innate ability?

16. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

Didn't specifically say they were pure evil, just.....not good.

17. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

No, actually I'm a nurse, and my name's not McFly. Manipulating dead tissues is part of the educational process of EVERY healing technique on earth. Maybe you don't do it yourself, but whoever you serve or work with needs to know human anatomy like the back of his or her own hand. To do less would make the process of healing a game of 'blindfolded darts'. Today we actually use parts harvested from cadavers in dozens of different techniques for healing the living, so the two aren't really THAT far apart. And if we COULD reanimate undead? The healers would be the best suited to start and guide that research. Reanimating the dead might be only a stone's through from raising the dead, depending on how the magick works.

PersonallyI find claiming authority over the nature of necromancy ridiculous. How could you possibly claim any true knowledge of what is POSSIBLE?
    Are you a necromancer?

mbomber and Sir Asguard like this.
  18. Mystic

Mystic Avatar

Guys, please keep this conversation civil without personal attacks or heated arguments.

Act with Virtue:
    Treat others as you would want to be treated. We are all people united under the same banner, with similar hopes and many different opinions. Show respect for one another, disagree with grace, and offer opinions with humility. And sheath those swords… there are absolutely no personal attacks allowed.

19. High Baron Asguard

How did I not even think about organ donation *head desk* :p

mbomber and MalakBrightpalm like this.
  20. mikeaw1101

mikeaw1101 Avatar

No, I'm just a lowly graduate student atm...

LOL that is exactly my point! Necromany is fictitious, it doesn't exist. Necrophilia, on the other hand, is quite real, and also a bona-fide mental illness. You are willfully ignoring the subtleties of this argument, apparently, in order to create a spectacle.

We appear to have reached an impasse.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.