Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Moiseyev Trueden

Moiseyev Trueden Avatar

Ah, gotcha. Yeah I was misunderstanding what you were saying.

2. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

Milo succinctly and perfectly explains my view on net neutrality and the monster the catchy phrase supports. Explained better in under 4 minutes than the fake comedian John Oliver.
    John Oliver spends nearly 20 minutes of lies in his fake news nonsense on the topic.

3. Net

Net Avatar

"Net neutrality forbids your ISP selling you service where Netflix is faster"
    That can only happen by slowing down the rest of your data... So yes, you can pay more to get netflix faster while slowing all the other data (e.g. youtube or patches for games) for you and/or others. What an excellent advantage, to be allowed to pay more to have some data slowed down.
    The thing to keep in mind is that there is very little competition on the ISP field, you can usually use only one cable (just like with water or electricity). So without regulation it can turn out to be expensive, just imagine having to pay extra for electricity so you get electrons from "coal plants" when there is not enough wind or sun shine to power renewable sources. What an amazing thing it would be being allowed to pay more to have what we are already used to?
    I would love free market working on this, but it cannot without some serious issues, not everyone can own network of cables connecting everyone. Just like not everyone can own all the streets. Imagine paying more money for "streets" so one lane on highway is reserved for DHL so you can get parcels from them faster. That is exactly what fast lanes for netflix mean without net neutrality. ISPS should be common carriers and treat data equally. If you want faster netflix, why should not you get faster everything anyway if you pay for faster cables? What if you prefer youtube or twitch or something the ISP did not think of?

4. Ancev

Ancev Avatar

Net and ⒹⒿAlleine Dragonfyre like this.
  5. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

Or those content providers, like Twitch or the Drudge Report cannot afford to pay the "extra fees" now being forced on them so people can even access their sites.

Don't forget...now ISPs can not only can force web site/game/service providers to pay them to be available to users they can ALSO charge users like you and me AT THE SAME TIME for access to that same specific content (or worse BLOCK it altogether). You know, basically charge both sides of the connection: content providers AND their users.
    This exact scenario is why people fear the web will suddenly act just like your cable channel lineup.

Net likes this.
  6. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

Fix = Don't let them see your traffic, Fire up that VPN. It will cost ya around 40 bucks for a year of service.

7. LoneStranger

LoneStranger Avatar

I don't really trust someone who spends him time trying to rile people up for attention.

8. Net

Net Avatar

What makes you think that VPNs will not be slowed down, after all, the only reason you would encrypt your communication is that you are criminal, maybe even terrorist or pedophile, though more likely only a pirate;)
    I mean ISPs have been known to slow down torrents regardless of whether you have been patching a game, downloading new Linux distribution, or getting the latest movie. If you want to use VPN, you better pay that Busines PLUS package extra so your VPN is not slowed down.

9. Daevin Aruth

Daevin Aruth Avatar

Waaaaay back when, my first experience was with dialup and a 300 baud modem came.... BBS & FidoNet, then Usenet and eventually here we are now.... the Internet.

10. TheBalance

TheBalance Avatar

VPN's can be completely disabled (entire countries do it). Also, since they involve servers and the internet, they can still be logged (it's one of the things every VPN service goes into great length to explain they could, but don't do, in an attempt to reassure potential customers they won't be monitored using their service).

VPN's are not a solution to any of the potential problems resulting from the death of net neutrality.

DJ Alleine Dragonfyre and Net like this.
  11. Aiyarree

Aiyarree Avatar

Well at the end we will have the IoT aka ”Walmart-Internet” with stuff like FB and Google. And we will have some sort of encrypted sub-networks aka “Dark-Net“.
    We already see this evolution. Freenet-Project, i2p, TOR... encrypted networks grow already in different flavors. There will be an answer i am sure.

Net and DJ Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.