Net Neutrality

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bubonic, May 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greyfox

Greyfox Avatar

The middle is usually the answer. Unfortunately everything has to be one way or the other. Government oversight with business in control.

Moiseyev Trueden and King Robert like this.
  2. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I said per year compounded, not over 6 years. 30% compounded over 6 years, is 480% increase. So, we have saved money under the ACA. But we still have failed to stop the disproportionately growing cost of healthcare which has more to do with greed than anything else.

I want to be able to retire and not lose my life savings the first time my wife or I get sick. Simple as that. The system before the ACA was a nightmare.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
    Moiseyev Trueden, Barugon and Greyfox like this.
  3. King Robert

King Robert Avatar

@Tahru Medicare pays most of your retirement healthcare costs, with reasonably priced secondary insurance paying the rest. Retirement healthcare in the county is not the issue, never has been.

4. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The biggest asset humanity has is ambition. Ambition is also the biggest corruptor of humanity. Which is why we have government. Ambition is also why we must limit government.

Both corporations and government will fall to corruption give the room to do so.

5. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Thailand = -50% of healthcare costs before subtracting any insurance o_O and they call it a 3rd world nation :p~TL~:D

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  6. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

All political discussion and access to information that allows us to have these arguments will go away with the demise of Net Neutrality. You will see only information that those that hold the strings will allow you to. That is the core danger of it going away. It's happened to all other information sources....newspapers, radio and television. Don't allow it to happen to the Internet.

Barugon and Time Lord like this.
  7. Damian Killingsworth

Damian Killingsworth Avatar

I am glad someone else feels this way about JO. I used to like him but it is beyond obvious at this point that he is spoon feeding bias dogma to the dwindling lower-middle class, at a rapid pace and with superficial verbosity.

neveser and 3devious like this.
  8. Alleine Dragonfyre

Alleine Dragonfyre Avatar

I am not lower middle class and rather like John Oliver.

Time Lord and zyxe like this.
  9. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

I understand the purpose of the OP but, for everyone not discussing net neutrality, please keep political discussions off of these forums.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  10. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I truly agree with @Barugon here :)
    Yet taking our Net Neutrality away is a control issue, control issues are governing issues, governing issues mean governments to govern them and political parties to create them o_O...

So maybe it's better to say that we should please "Try" and keep political discussions off our forums...

:oops: Yet we all know there a hidden elephant in the room that wants to take our Net Neutrality away from us :(
    [​IMG]

Moiseyev Trueden likes this.
  11. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The problem is that it has degraded into arguments over health care and liberal vs conservative.

Alleine Dragonfyre and Time Lord like this.
  12. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Liberty of our web is what is at issue here, and we're trying to find ways to conserve it, but that terminology has changed to mean it's opposite in certain areas, so I don't know which context you're referring to it as o_O...
    The OP is that we want to conserve our internet's liberty :D~TL~

Barugon likes this.
  13. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Sadly, the only way we can do anything about service providers is lobby the political wing in the US. (which is why this thread is so easy to devolve into left <> right)

Or we start our own ISP with a business model that ensures an internet where packets are untouched in their travels. From there it's the capitalist method. Customers will show the ISP what is in their best interest.

Moiseyev Trueden and Time Lord like this.
  14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

One thing about the FCC is they have been known to give companies rights to do things that would make customers drop companies in the private sector. For example, ATT charged a monthly fee to "not" have your number in the phone book. This despite our constitutional right to privacy. I was so angry about that for so many years. I still get all tensed up just remembering it. If I had the choice back then, I would have told ATT exactly where to shove it. I did call them and made them record the fact that I am forbidding them from sharing my information. They were like, fine but we don't care because the FCC says we can.

15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The internet was not FCC territory until the internet was labeled a utility.

Greyfox, neveser and Cordelayne like this.
  16. Net

Net Avatar

Well, not sure if anyone knows ViHart, but her video on net neutrality is spot on. And it is also helpful introduction to the topic for those who do not know the US history of net neutrality.

17. idaniod

idaniod Avatar

Thank you for sharing that video.

Time Lord, Alleine Dragonfyre and Net like this.
  18. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

This.

Time Lord and Alleine Dragonfyre like this.
  19. Arlin

Arlin Avatar

Yeah, even Google has had major problems doing this. Good luck.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. LiquidBlaze

LiquidBlaze Avatar

I think a year ago I read an act was waiting to be passed by congress to allow competition of various ISP's, if I understand correctly, in many areas it is illegal for a new company to come in and compete. Therefore these companies know they are the only choice and will never upgrade. I recall the bill being called to lower cost and allow competition... Sure wish I could post a reference or find it again to check it's status. =/ perhaps it was part of "Net Neutrality" I was reading.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.