Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Char Intro Help Tips/Hints feedback...

Discussion in 'Release 20 Feedback' started by Winfield, Aug 1, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

8/1/2015 7:05 AM
    Title: New Char Intro Help Tips/Hints feedback...
    Reproduction Rate: 100%
    Blocker? No

Details:

1. First dialog says hit ESC twice to leave discussion with Edvard. That works. Subsequent dialog with him, pressing ESC 2Xs drops the dialog, then get the options screen. Why hit ESC 2X for first dialog with Edvard? ... and ESC 1X works for regular NPCs and later with Edvard. Suggest code first dialog to work with 1X ESC, not 2X ESC.

2. TRY YOUR SKILLS tip - it does not say to go into combat mode before D Clicking the practice dummy. So need to add that... otherwise DClicking does nothing on the Dummy. Suggest you tell people to press Z to enter combat, or enable the dummy to be attacked with a d-click while not in combat mode.

3. TALKING WITH EDVARD outside the bridge. Would be good to add something interesting to "Rumors" as I was intrigued to try that, but got the "I'm sorry, on that subject I do not know" response.

4. Overall.. suggest change "I'm sorry, on that subject I know not." to be more like: I ask: "Bandits" and Edvard would respond: "I'm sorry, I do not know about Bandits." thus inserting what I said. That gives feedback to the player, in case he/she misspelled something too, and can try again. Like I ask: "Bandts" and Edvard would respond: "I'm sorry, I do not know about Bandts."

5. TO SOLTOWN tip. "but now you will be joined by other players..." What if a player started in Single Player Online Mode? Would be confusing. Or started in Offline mode in the future. So this dialog "could" be tailored by sensing the mode the player is playing in? Curious if dialog can be IF statement'd based on some database flags like playing mode. ... And I DO see that is a pre-alpha Tip as it talks about SotA is still a work in progress. Nice! I like the "thanks from Portalarium" in the tip. On to Soultown!

Steps to Reproduce: Walk through the dialogs as a new avatar.

User Specs:
    CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-2450M CPU @ 2.50GHz (4) System RAM: 8044
    GPU: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family GPU RAM: 1128
    SotA.PreAlpha.Win.64.296.Date.07.31.15
    Area: SolaceBridge_Starter
    Loc: (-63.7, 42.0, 38.5)

Katrina Bekers likes this.
  2. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

On a related note, the first steps dialogue (see screenshot below) doesn't appear until one has already taken the boat to Soltown. In the introductory Solace Bridge scene I didn't notice any instructions on how to move, look around, etc.

Also, the first time I was in Solace Bridge I didn't double-click the sword - I only dropped it into my inventory. (I had already read the Google docs player's instructions, so I knew how to do that). The subsequent in-game tips assumed that I already had the sword equipped, and it was very confusing. I think before the game is released, the new player help needs to be fool-proofed.

[​IMG]

3. DarkStarr

DarkStarr Executive Producer SOTA Developer

Moving to feedback and assigning to Lum

4. Winfield

Winfield Legend of the Hearth

Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.