Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New combat mode

Discussion in 'Release 29 Feedback Forum' started by Jordizzle, Apr 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

So far I'm loving the new targeting, combo glyph stacking. The only problem I have is that sometimes when I left click to start charging an attack, sometimes immediately after casting something like gust. . nothing happens. I will cast gust and then try to charge up an attack, but . .nothing. . then when i try again it will begin to charge an attack. Sort of annoying. Anyone else?

2. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

I don't like the reticle position. I feel like it should be more level with your character and the camera repositioned to the side. It's waaaay to far above your head. I feel like I have to point down for everything.

3. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

The problem that I have with it is that I like to play an archer, so I'm generally running trying to avoid getting beat to death. When there's another archer or a mage that's attacking me then I try to concentrate on them first because they're the most detrimental to me. This new targeting system makes concentrating on a single target very difficult and is frustrating for ranged combat play style.

4. mike11

mike11 Avatar

So far I after 20 min's quick play, I don't mind it, and I agree with the statement that not much is *really* changed from before in regards to targetting.
    Now we just got a better toggle on/off of cursor mode 'tab'.. Which is a welcomed feature I might add.

5. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Hope to have a fix for that. Haven't quite decided if it is a soft target or just a way to flag someone so they are easier to spot yet though. As I always push first for the most immersive and least UI based solution, I had been considering making something like a "Fairie Fire" shot or spell that highlights one guy and gives a small bonus to hit or critical. I believe that for the most part, the aiming is easy enough that you can usually pick your target but that when you're fighting 5 skeletons or other identical critters, it is too easy to lose which one is the target. I had wanted that type effect for a while so the tank can call a target more easily.

Lord Barugon, thoughts on that as an option? Is it more that you're not able to aim well enough (totally understandable when running backward!) or is it that you're losing which guy is the target?

6. Barugon

Barugon Avatar

It's best to give a scenario. Let's say that I'm fighting a group of elves. I might have six fighters chasing me, two mages fire-balling me and two archers shooting me. In this scenario, the archers are likely to be doing the most damage, so I want to eliminate them first. With the old tab-targeting, this would be no problem; I would just tab select the first archer and concentrate all my shots on him until he was eliminated. At that point, their collective DPS is significantly reduced and my survivability increased. Starting with, I believe, R26 through this release, and the new targeting system, if one of those fighters gets between me and that archer then I'm targeting him instead of the archer and their collective DPS continues unchecked.

Any way to mark my target would help. If it gave a bonus then even better.

7. Whyterose Flowers

Whyterose Flowers Avatar

It is quite frustrating, I am trying so hard to get use to it but dislike it the longer I play unfortunately. Not sure if I will continue to use a bow, might change over to melee of some type.

I really wish we had the option to use Tab Targeting instead of this forced new combat method.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  8. marthos

marthos Avatar

You know, as you describe that scenario, I can't help but wonder if this is actually a good feature. If I'm your tank, I should have to get in between you and those archers/wizards to keep you alive, instead of just mashing a high threat skill or force taunt. Those Elven fighters getting between you and their mages are doing their job - tanking for their squishier DPS. I think the lack of having a guaranteed target and the possibility of your arrow being intercepted by someone else can lead to a lot more interesting battles. Take a wizard summoning a horde of minions. In every other game, you do exactly as you describe, focus on the wizard, ignore his minions until he's dead. But if you had to DPS your way through those minions before getting to the wizard, the fight becomes something a lot more interesting (most games just simulate this by making the wizard invincible until you kill X minions, but that's lame).

9. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

Back to the OP, I'm noticing this as well. I was able to start charging Free Attack immediately in previous releases after launching a Glyph... but now I have an extended wait time... like... all animation and effects need to finish before I can begin.

It almost seems to help if I jab left mouse once and then start holding it. Like a double-click hold. Something is off... or perhaps something got fixed and I'm supposed to slow my attacks down?... @Chris ? Is this a bug or a feature?

Moiseyev Trueden and Jordizzle like this.
  10. Crazy Phil

Crazy Phil Avatar

Oooooh. This is cool. Perhaps make the target a lightsource too? It'd be like Hunter's Mark in WoW, but much more immersive. It'd be great for group focus-fire.

11. Jordizzle

Jordizzle Avatar

This exactly, it's like you can't charge an attack until the animation for the spell you just cast is finished. You said it better than I did :D

12. Smalls

Smalls Avatar

It's bugged and being addressed!

CrazyPhil likes this.
  13. Skyo

Skyo Avatar

I love immersion but there's no way I'm putting a Skill in my deck that identifies a target. Melee is experiencing the same wants and needs as ragged with the new system (awesome BTW).

I think this feature needs to take place in UI format that functions exactly the way @Chris explains. Maybe just add the settings to scale up or down the highlight magnitude for immersion purposes.

14. Duke Lorimus

Duke Lorimus Avatar

Make the first shot count with a persistent cobald magnesium arrow that burns until the mob goes down. After mob is history Arrow is available again. Boom Fixed ..

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

Its that like foxfire? I assume it would make the target glow in the dark as well? Moon magic?

16. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

Did someone say secondary usage for "Light" skill?

I agree with Skyo though; If we could lean away from adding more skills/button presses to the mix I think more people would be happier. I personally have noticed a lack of space on our action bars during combat so adding another just for marking might prove overwhelming.

~Woden

Black Tortoise likes this.
  17. redfish

redfish Avatar

You can already use light that way, can't you. But a Foxfire spell would be even deadlier, because the person who has a Light spell would be able to see all around him, and even though he wouldn't be able to escape, he'd be able to see his foes, while someone marked with foxfire wouldn't; he'd both be visible and blind at the same time.

18. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

I guess I have no idea if you can or can't; I was going off Chris commenting about a flagging mechanic which if light works this way on foes then we already have that which would nullify the suggestion. If that's the case then I retract my statement and apologize!

~Woden

19. redfish

redfish Avatar

Actually, I'm guessing its not something you can really do easily now that Tab targeting is out. But you were able to cast light spells on other players before, and assumed it could be used to flag someone else.

20. Wodin Folkvardr

Wodin Folkvardr Avatar

I'm mainly referring to Non-player, Non-friendly targets as I assumed that was where the discussion was based.

~Woden

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.