Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Grind Solution

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Now you're talkin!

I don't know. That's kind of the point of the OP. It sure seems like we're making a game that worships grinding, which is exactly the opposite of what the kickstarter said.

2. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

KS is like a grand general idea of what they want to make, then you take it account how much they actualy made, who they could hire, a lot of variable and you then have to look at the revisioned plan. Which basicly goes for all kickstarters.
    Everything that Ive read has lead to the notion, progression is ment to take a long time.

FrostII likes this.
  3. Drocis the Devious

Yep, I'd agree. Which is why it's so frustrating that some people are doing it in 100th the time of others. :)

It's "not right". The system is being exploited.

4. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

who?

from the ks too :)

"Risks and challenges
    Entertainment software development is always difficult. A successful game must work well feature-by-feature and be compelling and fun at all times to sustain player interest. "Fun" is very hard to define on paper, and is further complicated when tasked with integrating complex features that the players will find fulfilling. This iterative experimental process creates inherent risks in game development.
    We are managing this risk with a number of careful processes. First our team is built around a core of industry experts, who individually have up to 30 years of game development experience. Additionally, we are using powerful, proven tools to mitigate development risks. Finally, we are staging development so that the most important and most risky features are developed first, while carefully containing the scope of the initial release so that feature bloat does not bury the project.
    While game development remains inherently risky, this team is qualified and dedicated to drive this project to successful conclusion with skill and passion. We hope to work closely with you, the player, as our partner in completing this challenge."

These Risks included alienating some players at certain times as they work on certain aspects of the game.
    They cant please everyone all at once, they have to add systems in slow stages so they don't break the game and have down time.
    Which most games can afford to do, but if our servers went down, wed all loose our minds.
    So they have to take it slow

FrostII likes this.
  5. Drocis the Devious

I totally understand that.

What I don't assume is that the people they may alienate are the ones looking to have less of a grind. Since that's what the kickstarter was all about. It's like the key part of the sales pitch. "we're not about grinding!"

6. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

I actualy don't see where they said what you said. It seems rather out of context.
    And also its alpha dude. The base mechanics and skills and passives are still being tested together.
    We were with a dev before the break, testing out passives at the gm level and the scalablity.
    We are ment to grind it out.. or not. They are constantly taking in meta data and stats about how we play and what needs to be fixed/tweaked.
    They just tend to hold off fixes and changes like that until they have a lot and can do it all at once, via a wipe update.

7. Drocis the Devious

I was paraphrasing.

This is what was written in the kickstarter.
    Exhibit A: A fantasy role-playing game that will focus more on player choices and discovery than on level grinding.

Exhibit B: Since then, most every other RPG has focused more on level grinding than on “role playing”, which has been reduced to a few initial character choices.

8. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Think about it like this.

If you wanted to read the sheet music to a really complicated song, would you want to read it in 1/2 notes or 16th or even 32nd notes.
    Gives them a better look at it to do the 32nd

And taking it out of context. They are speaking of the quality and amount of story content there will be in the game. ...which hasn't been added to the eth degree yet.

FrostII and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

I'm not sure what you're talking about here.

No it's in context. I don't think they could be more clear than to say "A fantasy role-playing game that will focus more on player choices and discovery than on level grinding."

Right now the entire focus of this game is on grinding.

10. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Ok how bout this. Its like they could read a summary of a novel (have quick levels/skilling/smaller cap), or they could actualy read the whole book (what you call grinding)

Which is going to give them in the end a better sense of the story when they have to make a report about it? Reading the whole thing drawn out.

Because this is Alpha Testing sir.

Whyterose Flowers and KuBaTRiZeS like this.
  11. Drocis the Devious

I like where your mind is here. That's an interesting concept. The one thing I don't like about it is that "grinding" is considered a greater achievement. I just can't subscribe to the idea that beating up the same AI, even at a very efficient level, should somehow be rewarded by making that player better at PVP.

There has to be a way to cross that bridge by actually PVPing and yet not having an advantage because you're some kid of PVE worshiper.

I'm giving alpha testing feedback that this is not good.

You'll notice that there are many people saying they actually like this. So we have a problem here.

12. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

I realize totally it can be rather draining on some.
    But that comes with the "choice" of playing the game right now knowing very well its still not finished.
    Some are having a hard time dealing with this, and it seems they are only focusing on that fact.

The ability to scale down the leveling process/skill caps/xp gain is all rather easily done once the system is fine tuned.
    Which is more easily done if we grind out levels, which is what we have to do right now, coincedense? I think not sir.

And can be scaled down later on when they start adding more "features" that will effect balance in different ways.

Understand and look behind why they do something before just stating is "bad" cuz you don't like doing alpha "work"

13. Drocis the Devious

I'm not convinced that they don't plan to expand on this horrible system of grind. That's what the OP is about. If they plan to do something else, I wish them the best of luck. It does no good for me to tell them it's bad after it's completed though.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  14. Xi_

Xi_ Avatar

i feel a simple system of diminished returns with no skill cap is whats needed, that way those that play more still feel they have an advantage because they play more while those who are more casual can still feel like they can at least get to a point to compete with them. I also feel that this system will work best with out the level gate, skill on skill. That way every skill tic gets exponentially harder to acquire yet not impossible, and no decay lol.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  15. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Gotcha
    Well I cant paraphrase devs that ive worked with but they do not want moster crazy super avatars.
    2-3 lvl 20-30s should beable to take a level 100, there will be gaps at 1v1.
    That's what they are going for fyi.

16. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

yes I should look up the scaled graph I used to have for this system it has worked decently in others. But some will still complain.

Moonshadow likes this.
  17. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

Well weather you believe me or not, I can say its a developing choice more than a gameplay choice.

and I will take my leave of these threads with that. Im not here to change your opinion that you don't like the process. Simply to enlighten you on the meaning behind it.

FrostII likes this.
  18. Net

Net Avatar

Well, currently you need more xp for each level of a skill and you need to get more and more levels of the skill to get the same advantage. Not to mention you can use only limited number of glyphs in your deck. The people spending more time in the game will always have an edge, but that edge is getting smaller and smaller the higher level you get. I think the system we have in game addresses most of these concerns, but 3 months are not long enough for many to see it. That and most of the skills (entire magic except life tree is still unbalanced, weapons and armours are unbalanced...)

EDIT: oh and I forgot skill decay. It gets worse the higher level you have, and it is again something that is hard to notice in three months of testing.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2015
    SeleneNoctua and Moonshadow like this.
  19. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

I dont think it would serve to do anything but put a disproportionate drag on more casual players, increasing the power gap.

More frequent players would continue to push ahead and it would make the game more "grindy" than before. Thier current style is designed tobe much less "grindy" thanother mmos.

FrostII likes this.
  20. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

The current system is designed to allow you to be 75% effective (as a level 100 skill) at just 40 skill level. If its a skill you use alot, it takes so little time to get that skill up to that level just from playing the game that it's not neccessary to grind.

And adventure level itself does not affect pvp, that only matters in pve

SeleneNoctua likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.