Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Grind Solution

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

Interesting.

I find the fact that I'm forced to grind in PVE even though I hate it, just to be competitive in PVP (which is what I really want to do) to be very draconian. I suppose it depends on your point of view and how you play the game.

2. Selene

Selene Avatar

I think if the devs do post a list of average level, you would get a skewed picture because there are quite a few people who log in just to get the hats. And there are people who have alts that they don't use (also except to get hats). I have three hat gathering alts. If you can get the list of people who have played, say, more than 40 hours since the last wipe, that might give you a clearer picture of the demographic.

FrostII, margaritte and Tahru like this.
  3. Margaritte

Margaritte Avatar

I'm not sure how I could focus any more on the OP. You personally suggested that players at higher levels (like me) in your opinion
    You also said:
    All I get from you is that you don't like grinding, you don't like working in groups, and you don't like doing anything over and over, even if it's the best way to level with your limited game time. You don't like anything but RP and PvP, and you want the game changed to accommodate your playstyle so that everything will be "fair". So come up with something that's not hobbling people who like the game as it's designed instead of suggesting that we have no lives.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  4. Drocis the Devious

Yes I agree that there would need to be some interpretation of the data.

But if we remove all of the people that "just got the hats" and didn't play more than 5 hours, I doubt that population would be very high. I would guess we're talking about a few hundred people (like 200 to 300 tops). Of that population I think we'd see a huge dip in playing time before we ever hit 40 hours. Of the people 40+ hours I'm guessing not many would be active PVPers, and many would be in the same circles (like the 20 people that showed up to the event you mentioned). So what would that tell us? I don't know, I think the idea that only 300 or less people are playing this game speaks volumes about the state of the game as a whole but might not tell us exactly where all the pain points are.

Still, I'd like to see those numbers.

5. Weins201

Weins201 Avatar

Ok so because you only want to PvP and NOT actually play the game but just kill (or be killed by) other players that the game should adjust so you can stay on par (level wise and more) with people who actually want to PLAY the game - SORRY.

As I have stated and will stand by to the end this game should IN NO WAY accommodate players who only want to kill other players. I know PvP is a viable play style but to many of those types of players actually do it only to harass and exploit other players, NOT really play at an evil character. As a result the whole community is alligned with their mentality. This is NOT a first person shooter. As stated MANY times it is a Single Player Game with Online and interactive sides. Man I should just walk away from this - TTFE

FrostII likes this.
  6. Drocis the Devious

You're approaching the design as if it's currently fair to more than just your playing style. I'm giving feedback that it's not currently fair and needs adjusted. We disagree and that's ok.

7. Drocis the Devious

No, I'm a hardcore roleplayer too. But if I'm grinding all the time, when exactly do I have time to roleplay?

Does my POT website strike you in ANY WAY that I'm only here to kill people? www.novianratsnest.com

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Any time you feel like it. It's your choice to prioritize one thing over another.

FrostII and margaritte like this.
  9. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    why are you judging him instead of talking about the topic?

10. Drocis the Devious

Why do we force people to either prioritize grinding or do the things they actually enjoy?

Wouldn't you see this as a problem if the devs said that you had to PVP to increase your crafting levels?

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  11. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Baron Drocis Fondorlatos,

Okay, but part of my point is just about how much you're equating progression through PvE and grinding, as if they're the same thing. Yet, a lot of people may want progression through PvE, but don't like grinding either.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  12. Selene

Selene Avatar

Okay, I am not usually one that fights for the "I" word, but I think divorcing PVP from PVE for purposes of determining your ability to fight is making a game not very cohesive.

Does it make sense for someone to be able to slay 1,000 avatars but be unable to kill a single small wolf spider?

13. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

This may not be your intent.. but a lot of your posts read like "I hate grinding so the game should be made easier for me".

That seems odd considering how in this very thread someone said people 20 levels under them regularly schooled them in PvP. I've heard the same from devs getting taken out by those several levels below them. So it seems that is what devs want to do and.. while it may need work.. have been doing.

margaritte, FrostII and SeleneNoctua like this.
  14. Selene

Selene Avatar

Avatars are the top of the food chain. If you can't kill a common thug, how to you expect to slay someone who is one of the "chosen ones"? :D

15. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

How is what I said in any way judging anyone. I merely stated.. and only stated that it's a choice to prioritize one activity over another. That's it.

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

if you cant see it i cant help you.

17. Drocis the Devious

Good point. Yes, you're right I'm meshing up the two.

To be clear I have nothing at all against progression. I like progression as much as anyone.

I dislike the repetitive grind or treadmill that occurs in MMO's for the sake of player retention and the reward of the achiever playstyle. It conflicts with my playstyle and I think there's a balance to be found between the two. Right now this whole game is an achievers paradise and unfortunately that means it's a Killers nightmare.

18. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

One wouldn't normally compare combat to improve combat skills with combat to improve crafting skills. But no one is forcing you to prioritize grinding over RP..

FrostII likes this.
  19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I can't see what's in your head.

FrostII likes this.
  20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

I agree with you elmo. There are many of us that want progression without grinding. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.