Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New Grind Solution

Discussion in 'Release 25 Feedback Forum' started by Poor game design, Dec 27, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

Somewhere underground waiting to get you!
    I can make up a list of people I know too! Really I can! :p

The Unwanted and Harmony2 like this.
  2. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Never implied you couldn't. :p

3. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

all I am saying is your opinion carries weight. When you make your opinion validated by "others" its not taken so seriously by me. Thats just IMO though.

The Unwanted and Harmony2 like this.
  4. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

That's more a point in my favor. My inability to reach a higher level can't both be held against me and held as an example of how I don't know what I'm talking about. :) I know it's easy to do that, but if the argument is that people at level 80 something are the only ones that can tell us if the game is balanced or not, you'll have to forgive me if I think that's a poor way to test this game.

For one, we should want everyone to test the game at all levels, and since we're not doing that we should look for ways to do that. Which is one of the many points of the OP.

But if we're only going to have a small handful of people claim the game is balanced, we shouldn't be surprised when years from now it's not really that balanced. In fact, it's not something that should be a great mystery to anyone that is lower level, the combat system is almost entirely based on Damage Per Second mechanics, and people at higher level undoubtedly have more hit points, take more damage and deliver more damage than people at lower levels. It's amazing to me that this is something we'd argue about. It's all but a fact of life.

Ravicus Domdred likes this.
  5. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, it is hard to know what gameplay is like at higher levels if you are not trying to achieve them. It's not that you can't reach it... you said yourself that you just do not want too because it is too much "work".

6. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

I'm not holding your inability to gain higher levels against you, I was trying to say that maybe you should have picked a smaller level difference if your going to claim you can beat a lower level character without thinking when you haven't tested the higher levels. The people that have are telling us it's possible for a 50 to beat an 82. That's a pretty big difference and the only reason it could happen based on the fact that higher levels take and give more damage and have higher hp is if the level 50 is more skilled. Which kind of defeats the argument that PvP isn't skill based in the first place. I don't think handicapping people that play more is the way to make things better for the ones that don't, maybe some rpvp type person can or should set up a play date with the others and go out leveling together so they can test things?

7. Drocis the Devious

I think I said it's too boring and stupid. But yes it's also a lot of "work" since you have to stay awake for long hours and basically stop living a real life. OR, so I've been told you can join a group of players that have no real life and let them do all the work and your character just sits there soaking up the XP.

But again, this is the argument you're making....

I can't know what I'm talking about unless I get to level 70 something. But since I don't do that (which is exactly what I'm concerned about) then I don't know what I'm talking about. But if I were to get to level 70 something, THEN you could just say SEE you can do it! It's a false argument that leads to the same conclusion regardless of how someone gets to level 70.

It also ignores or distorts the fact that someone needs to get to level 70 before they can compete. So to recap, there's nothing to see here because 1. This guy is not at level 70. 2. This guy is wrong and would know that if only he put the time in to work to get to level 70. 3. If this guy made it to level 70 then we still wouldn't listen to him because hey, he's level 70 so what's he complaining about?

It's really not cool to have this argument as the my counter point to the OP, but I'm confident the devs see this for what it is.

8. Drocis the Devious

You would think we'd see a lot more people playing PVP then, wouldn't you? I mean, I don't see anyone pvping. I don't see anyone flagged for open pvp, unless of course they're level 70 or above.

Do you think that maybe that's because people at the lower levels don't like to lose so they either quit the game or they unflag themselves? I do. I also think that if the devs showed us "who is pvping" we'd find that it's almost exclusively a sport won by people higher level. I would think that there would be outliers of a few instances where some level 55 guy beat a level 70 guy, but I would be shocked if this were happening across the board in any meaningful way.

9. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

Or maybe we don't see a lot of people flagged for open PvP because of time zones, the fact it's pre alpha and they're testing other things, or they're in another area/instance of the map. The game hasn't launched and i'm pretty sure we have just a tiny fraction of the people playing that will be here when it does. If say 10% of the people playing now are open PvP and we have like 100 people playing pre alpha for more then just grabbing tour hats then your searching for 10 people on the map. That's a lot of area to cover looking for the other 9. However if the percentages stay the same and we have 100k people playing at launch then your going to see more of them because now your looking for 9,999 people instead of just 9.

*disclaimer- I picked numbers at random in order to illustrate a point. I have no idea what the actual numbers or, nor do I really care beyond hoping that we have a whole lot more people playing when we launch because I want the game to be successful.

FrostII, Gaelis and Bowen Bloodgood like this.
  10. Drocis the Devious

The devs should care what the numbers are. I'm sure they're very telling.

I don't know what the numbers actually are, but I would suspect that we have a very small group of people pvping with each other (and they just happen to be high level and like to grind, and are also fond of telling people that game is balanced from their point of view). If I'm correct that will not scale well at launch and it will be obvious how incredibly wrong those people were. But again, I don't have access to the numbers, I only have anecdotal evidence. I'm counting on the devs to look at this objectively and adjust the game accordingly.

11. Laurana

Laurana Avatar

I never said the Devs shouldn't care what the numbers are, just that I don't necessarily care what the exact numbers are.

I think we have a small group of people playing the game at all, much less in PvP. My suggestion for fixing the issue of player levels affecting things is to just remove the menu that tells you what your adventuring level even is. It serves no real purpose. What makes your character better is the actual skills you pick, what level they are at, and how you build your deck.

12. Selene

Selene Avatar

I have a full time job, two kids that I dote on and love dearly and plenty of non-gaming hobbies and diversions... Oh, and I split my game time in shroud with DJing on AvatarsRadio, so a lot of time I am logged in I am at an event or something totally non-grind related. I have never received a power level from anyone, and I don't join groups I can't be a strong contributing member. Yet, I am level 70. I reckon in the amount of time it has taken to defend the original idea of this post, you could have gained at least 3 levels?

And I might think crafting is boring, but I sure as heck wouldn't post an idea on how it should be improved if I hadn't explored every part of it thoroughly, despite my personal opinion.

It's like saying tl:dr , do things my way because.. reasons.

13. Themo Lock

Themo Lock Avatar

Basically a cut paste spam of the same topic posted by the same person over and over and over with no new insight (or in fact.. any insight at all). I guess eventually as the number of people that put it on ignore grows it may look like progress.

Yes, yes it can.

FrostII, Gaelis and margaritte like this.
  14. Drocis the Devious

Failure to appreciate my style of play will result in you using the same irrelevant arguments again and again.

You don't understand why I have a problem with grinding since you enjoy it? Well I can't help you there. I don't understand why you enjoy grinding so much. But I do respect your right to enjoy it.

If only this small group of people would respect my right not to enjoy it. If only this small group of people would understand that not everyone plays the game the same way they do.

Has there been a single post that I've made where I said "why are you arguing against non-consensual pvp? Why don't you just go out and get better at it instead of complaining about it?" No, because for one I don't think that would be good for the game. But secondly I don't tell people how to play the game, I tell the devs how I think the game is balanced or not balanced.

That's the difference here. I have respect for other playstyles.

15. Selene

Selene Avatar

^This is in direct contrast with this.
    You also assume that people who get to 50+ are some small elite group. I would say there are TONS of people who are 50+, but they are underrepresented in the forums because they are out playing the game instead of talking about it. The ones that ARE here are just tired of this argument.

16. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

out of 60k backers what percentage are playing the game right now? and of that percentage, what percentage are pvp? also its pre alpha, not complete. so playing the game is testing.

17. Drocis the Devious

The fact that I personally think grinding is boring and stupid is not an attack on you or other players that disagree with me. Just like people that don't like PVP are entitled to their own opinions. The game rightfully supports people that like pvp and don't like pvp. But what it doesn't support is people that don't like grinding, and it actually punishes people that like pvp but do not like grinding. Do you disagree?

As for the number of people playing at above level 50, I think that number would be comically low if the devs showed us the numbers. But that's just my personal opinion and of course I could be wrong.

18. Selene

Selene Avatar

Well, none of us can speak for those backers. That is my point.

edit: to reflect post to which I was referring

19. Drocis the Devious

All I've said is that the devs should look at the real numbers because I'm convinced it will tell a story that is in direct conflict with the narrative some high level people like to claim is proof that the game is healthy and pvp is in good shape.

20. Sold and gone

Sold and gone Avatar

then why did you say "tons of people" if there is like 50 people playing total? that probably speaks volumes on how many people are enjoying it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.