New player here... So Very Confused.

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by kaledis, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Do a few quests and build up your Adventure Experience pool. Once you do that you'll see your skills shooting up, especially if they are under about 40.

Mata, Lord-Galiwyn and 4EverLost like this.
  2. enderandrew

enderandrew Legend of the Hearth

Find 1 skull scenes. Try not to aggro too many mobs at once. Sheathe your weapon after combat. You recover health/focus faster when you're out of combat.

The game can be difficult at low levels, especially for new players. Grouping with guild members can be a big help.

We've got a bunch of helpful people in Moongate Travellers that could lend you a hand.

http://www.mgt470.info/

Mata, Audacity and 4EverLost like this.
  3. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

Ok did a few quests in Highvale for the marshal in Resolute and I have over 16k pooled experience. I just unlocked a couple of skills for my sword and board build. So I know the type of build I am going for. But what do I do with the pooled exp? do that just mean that I have earned over 16k xp for the kills and quests?

Also I thought there was supposed to be a 'character' level as well as the level for the skills?

I would ask these kind of questions in game but there doesn't seem to be many players in the Resolute/Highvale area and I have no idea how to communicate with people yet, i'm still trying to not die lol

Mata, 4EverLost and enderandrew like this.
  4. enderandrew

Your skills will increase with use, so long as there is pooled experience available. If there is no pooled experience, then skills don't increase. So go out and use sword and shield skills.

The other important thing you may want to do is press K to bring up your skills list. Above a skill you have unlocked there is a Green Arrow. Click it and cycle through the options. If you don't care about a skill, you may set it to no longer level. Otherwise XP will go to improving that skill as well, taking away XP that could go into Blades. If you want to see the best possible gains in a given skill, you may set all the others to maintain, so the maximum XP goes into that one skill for a while.
    Since there is no global chat, this is another big advantage of joining a guild. You have a guild chat to ask questions regardless of location.

Mata likes this.
  5. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

If I knew how to find/join a guild I think I would be dangerous lol

Really loving the game as its really confusing the hell out of me so its keeping me engaged, yeh I know about the green arrow skill thingy, think that's a really nice idea.

Mata and 4EverLost like this.
  6. enderandrew

What is your name in game?

Mata and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  7. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

Kaledis Fel and im UK based.

Mata, enderandrew and DavenRock [MGT] like this.
  8. gweniver

gweniver Avatar

I'm also a new player working my way trying to figure things out as I go too. I also usually play a mage, but selected the Archery option due to the in game message about a smoother experience also. :)

I noticed when I unlocked a new archery combat ability, that it starts off only doing 1-2 damage. I assume that I have to go out and use it to level it up, but this seems like it would put me at a disadvantage using a lot of arrows for not much gain right away. Is this normal?

Also, eventually I want to figure out where to build a row house, but I've only been to a couple small towns so far. I don't want to be at a disadvantage by not finding where I would like to build when my time comes up for this. What is the best way to explore around to learn where the major towns are? I'm familiar with the map website to find where there are, but should I be looking into quick travel options or just use the over map?

Thanks also!

Mata and 4EverLost like this.
  9. Sarg

Sarg Avatar

sotamap.com shows all the towns available. There aren't a ton of quick travel options other than the boats displayed there. Teleport and Recall scrolls are the only other form of fast travel in game.

And yes, new archery abilities start off incredibly weak. What you need to do is work them into a build with your regular skills as well. If you're using the new skill every 4th or 5th time, they'll still go up fairly fast. Aimed Shot is the Archer's bread and butter - so don't be surprised if other skills never seem to hit quite as hard.

Most critically, if you haven't already, get a longbow!

Mata likes this.
  10. Kara Brae

Kara Brae Avatar

Archers quickly become very powerful, but you can switch from archery to a mage build at any time - the earlier you do it, the easier it will be. You only need to go to a trainer to learn the mage skills you want and create a new deck using the mage skills.

Unfortunately, Portalarium has decided to assign players a build depending on what virtue Path they choose. The Path of Love (the one where you are given archery skills) is the only Path that is relatively finished yet. That is the only reason it is recommended to start out with the Path of Love. Switching your build will have no negative effect on your game play.

It sounds like your pledge comes with a Row lot deed. I recommend that you consult the R32 Land Rush Status spreadsheet, started by @smack and updated as well by other community members, to discover where Row lots are still available to claim: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1_hs82dzPHslknz8jv0euMY_xwyuMbv5CRGoXbqM0zxg/edit#gid=0

The first tab in the spreadsheet lists the NPC towns (which have a role in the game's story) and the second tab lists PRTs (Player-Run-Towns) which can be just as nice but aren't part of the story-line. In addition to these two kinds of towns, there are many POTs (Player-Owned-Towns) in the game which are not listed in the spreadsheet On the map at sotamap.com, NPC towns look like little castles, PRTs look like little houses with transparent roof, and POTs look like little houses with a black roof.

Make sure you are familiar with the lot-claiming process when your turn comes around. It is explained very well in the Player Instructions (click on Question mark at the top of the screen in-game to access them). Good luck in finding a nice spot for your home!

Mata and enderandrew like this.
  11. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Hey Geniver,

I'm glad you're joining us as well. Hope you have a blast! Look me up if you'd like to group up.

Mata likes this.
  12. Ajacied1987

Ajacied1987 Avatar

Sup bro

This helped me a lot for XP in the first few hours in the game.

www.questsoftheavatar.com

Click the quest and just type the keywords on the page.

If u dont want spoilers, dont do that ;)

Mata and enderandrew like this.
  13. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

I have to say, that I haven't felt this welcomed to an mmo for a LONNNNGGGG time.

I didn't actually think about housing. I might have to adjust my pledge to see if I can get one.. lol

Mata, Audacity and 4EverLost like this.
  14. Mata

Mata Avatar

Welcome kaledis!

15. Hawkshield

Hawkshield Avatar

So when you think of crafting, SotA is kinda like the IKEA of MMOs, to help you visually think of this

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.