New player here... So Very Confused.

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by kaledis, Aug 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

Decided to take the plunge with this yesterday as I had been seeing a few things about it on YT. I really wanted to get into something that is more sandbox than everything else out there.

Got in a couple of hours last night after installing it and because of my experience with other mmo's, a lot of the concepts gave me a bit of a head start, but then the confusion happened.

I have a LOT to learn.... especially when it comes to things like resource gathering and crafting (which is the part that REALLY interests me)

And hopefully I might even make some friends along the way...

Cheers!

2. Acred

Acred Avatar

Welcome to Shroud of the Avatar, @kaledis !

There are indeed many things to discover in New Britannia. Some you will figure out on your own. Some you can find and read easily in the pinned threads in this very 'New Player Welcome' section of the forum. Some are easiest answered by asking in the /z Zone chat wherever you are in-game.

Type in names of people you'd like to be friends with on the 'F' window of your Social screen, or pick that option off the drop down menu when you select them in-game. When they are logged in, they see the request and can accept it. Then you can /w Whisper to them wherever they are on the map. I'm logged in during odd hours, but if you'd like to, please add 'Trufall Selarts'. I am always happy to chat or answer questions.

Have fun. :D

Mata, Vyrin, 4EverLost and 3 others like this.
  3. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Welcome to what i think is the best game since Ever........... oops UO; totally brutal but completely satisfying. I doubt you'll be perturbed by the steep learning curve being an experienced MMO player and believe me we all still have questions as there's so much to remember.

If you want a relaxed easy way to ask questions feel free to drop into EVL teamspeak (EVL.teamspeak3.com no password), no need to join if you don't want to but there's always players online that are willing to help folks out with hints, tips and resources to find what their looking for / proffessions they are looking to expand into.

One of our members even made this which is on most players fav's list and an essential tool when starting out

http://sotamap.com/

Also if you aren't fussed about seeing folks constantly in game stay in 'Friends' mode that way any zone you are in is yours alone ;)

Feel free to add me on to your friends list, happy to answer q's or group up

Fungus

Mata, 4EverLost, Stahlknecht and 2 others like this.
  4. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

Cool, I am fully aware of this game being in early access so I don't want to spend hours and hours grinding everything to hit whatever the skill cap might be and then everything gets wiped and I have to start again. I want to experience a bit of everything the game currently has to offer and will offer going towards the official release (whenever that might be).

Want something I can really get my teeth into and be a part of.

Will get some play time over the weekend, so I can start reading and learning as much as I can.

5. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

Game is now in persistent mode so no more wipes!

6. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

From the couple of hours of play I got last night, I do have a couple of questions that I don't know have been answered.

1) I wanted to salvage some rusty swords last night but at the blacksmith station the Salvage option was greyed out, is this because I need to skill up blacksmithing so that I can 'unlock' the ability to salvage?

2) How do I know the 'level' of mobs in an area on the map if I want to go and explore/gather resources in it? I have noticed that targeted mobs have the usual colour to their name which usually lets you know how strong they are. But I don't want to be wandering into areas where I am going to be killed in seconds.

3) Does the game have bank/vault storage yet?

4) I know the game has singleplayer/multiplayer modes, but are they interchangeble? Can I be playing multiplayer solo and then suddenly switch to multiplayer full?

7. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

Oh wow really?
    That's fantastic news from my point of view.

8. Fungus

Fungus Avatar

I'm not a crafter myself just a resource gatherer but I expect you need to train with a crafting trainer to get the smelting skill pre blacksmith first

The difficulty of an area is denoted by skulls on a pike by entrance that range from 1-5, 1 being lowest, stick with lvl 1 until you can kill everything quickly

Every town has a bank BUT your bank box is specific to that town and doesn't transfer to other towns so be careful if you move location

In short yes, I mainly play in 'friends' mode when solo or grouped and only ever swap to multi for guild events / needing to teleport to someone because I'm lazy

Look out for people in game if in multi mode with title hospitallers as that denotes they're always willing to stand, chat and help you get started on a quest or a new skill

Fung

9. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There is no skill cap.
    Just diminishing returns - so you get less the further up in skills you go while it at the same time costs more and more xp.

Persistance started 3 weeks ago - everything you do is kept.

official launch is planned for xmas or directly after, that is when the quests and such are working and all the kickstarter promises are in.
    After that there will be monthly releases with polish.
    And after that about every 12-18 months or so a new episode with a new continent(s) to explore.

Should work.
    You need to e on the blacksmith station with the blcksmith hammer.
    then drag the rusty to the upper right tray.
    then it should light up

please ntote that all shafted weapons are on the carpentry station with carpentry hammer, like a mace.

Right when you enter a scene there is a pole with skulls on, - one skull is beginners area, five skulls is AAAAaaarrrrghhhh.

Then Green name tag means the mob is below you, yellow is challenging ie same level, orange-red is above you.

yes
    local bank storage though so if you put something in to bank in town X you can only retreive it from X and not from town Y.

You can buy extra slots on the cheap from the bank like +10 for 100g.

All the "online" modes share server and world. So I could be in Single Online and craft and put something up on a vendor, where you in Multi Online see it within seconds you then hesitate, and someone else in Friends Online picks it up before you do.

Same thing with player housing - it is all permeating throughout all instances regardless of mode.

Mata, 4EverLost, Oba Evesor and 5 others like this.
  10. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

You guys are awesome!

Oh in case anyone is wondering.

My in game name is Kaledis Fel.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Mata, 4EverLost, Oba Evesor and 3 others like this.
  11. Timmy Vortex

Timmy Vortex Avatar

Welcome to the game Kaledis Fel. :)

12. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

Something else I have just thought of, now that the spear with the skulls thing is the indication of how difficult the area is, but as you gather combat experience and get stronger, does the number of skulls for an area decrease? so an area that you first went into has 3 skulls, but now has only one? or is it a case of remembering that it was a '3 skull area' and then going back later to see 'white' mobs instead of red ones?

13. Acred

Acred Avatar

14. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

As so it was because I'm such a low level then. I was wandering around the map and went into Solace Bridge and I came across some skeletons and they were yellow/red mobs, although I was doing poopy damage, but I think that has more to do with using a bow in melee range (only because the game told me that 'ranged' would give me a better experience with the game lol)

I love skill based games where an attack will do more damage the more you use it....

15. Acred

Acred Avatar

You can train up any skill in weaponry that you wish to. You do not need to remain an Archer if you would rather use bludgeons, polearms, swords or be a hybrid or even a pure mage.

To change you will have to loot or buy the appropriate weapon and start training that skill tree by buying the skills of your choice from the Adventurer Trainer.

Add the skills to a newly equipped combat deck found under the 'Y' key, modify your chosen deck and press the 'use current equipment' button so the weapon and the skills that pop up in your combat bar match.

16. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

I only really went archery as I thought the message of the 'smoothest' experience meant that there was less bug in it.

I tend to prefer to play as a mage. Do like the idea of a death/chaos magic based mage :D

Will check it out later or I could just reroll my character and just pick 'magic' at the start as it will save having to reallocate points etc.

Mata and Stahlknecht like this.
  17. Audacity

Audacity Avatar

Hi there Kaledis. It's super nice to meet you! As you've seen here, this game has an amazeballs community!

The game is super fun, and I think even more so when playing with others. Definitely add me to your friends list and look me up. We can totally party!

18. Justyn

Justyn Bug Hunter Bug Moderator

Super helpful resource is sotahelp,org you can find links to helpful sites, find a very extensive FAQ and even find a list of folks in game (hospitallers) who are ready, willing and usually able to help new players!

Mata and Audacity like this.
  19. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

Don't forget to do some quests. These will get you some big chunks of experience. The larger your pooled experience the faster you're skills will rise.
    If this makes no sense then read on.

You gain both Adventuring and Crafting experience and each has its own pool. When you exercise a skill it rises by pulling a percentage of your experience pool. This means you can be both gaining and spending experience points at the same time.

In the skill trees each skill has a green up-pointing triangle indicating the skill is set to Gain. By cliking on the triangle you can set the skill to decrease, maintain, or rise. This becomes more important the more skills you have since it is possible to have so many skills rising that it depletes your experience pool. Remember that skills pull a percentage so the larger the pool the greater the skill rise.

How may point you have in your pool is indicated at the bottom of the skill tree window.

Mata, Lord-Galiwyn and Audacity like this.
  20. kaledis

kaledis Avatar

How am I supposed to 'survive'? I can only seem to find yellow mobs and a lot of them. So I end up having to run away and not die. I understand the whole using skills to gain experience and levels, but if I can kill mobs in even 1 skull areas it makes it a bit difficult...

Ok, so I am running around Highvale killing wolves one at a time.

I guess I need to take it slow to being with.

Mata, 4EverLost and Lord-Galiwyn like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.