New player needs some basic info

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by grandmaJOY, Aug 12, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Hello all - I am not new to MMOs but I *am* very new to Shroud. I need a couple answers before I invest too much time in the wrong activities=)

1. Is crafting vital? I hate crafting and very much prefer buying from auction houses, vendors, traders.

2. Is there a central Auction House where I can buy from other players?

Thank you for any help you can provide!

2. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Hello and welcome. Crafting is not necessary but a little crafting will save you a lot of gold. For example if you want to decorate your home because you do get two free land deeds from doing quests, then you can make tables chairs, lamps etc. Players do sell these items too. Player towns usually have vendors and NPC towns should have a vendor too.

It's important to explore since it marks locations on your teleport to zone scrolls which can be crafted or bought from players. Place a teleport to zone scroll on your non combat bar and when unencumbered click on it to see locations you've visited marked on it. Holding the control key will show descriptions of those locations as you mouse over them.

Also do the Oracle test daily for xp and gold. I have some game instructions in the town of Wizards Rest located on a cliff behind the NPC town of owlshead in the Hidden Vale map. Take the boat to it located by Brittany. Check my bulletin board for some tips and books on a pedestal in the Oracle building in town. I'm the manager of this town. Right now I'm out of town for 10 more days but as with most players we're very happy to answer questions. Enjoy your journey.

Elgarion, Rinaldi, Time Lord and 2 others like this.
  3. Adam Crow

Adam Crow Avatar

1. No it's not something you have to do. You can buy all your equipment

2. No but we do have a trade chat /t where you can tell other players what you are looking for. And there are many self sufficient crafters that can craft pretty much anything for you, including myself. I like to make gear for players starting out. I don't charge much, usually just the cost of the materials. And if you want to supply the materials I'll do it at no cost whatsoever. If that interests you, add me to your friends list in game - Adam Crow.

grandmaJOY, Elgarion, Rinaldi and 2 others like this.
  4. Tirrag

Tirrag Avatar

In addition to that, there are several Market focused towns to visit where most every house is a vendor. Here are a few (not at all inclusive and my apologizes if I did not list you):

Caters specifically to New Players (with pricing):
    Outlander Welcome Center
    Nauvoo

Larger (and more expensive) markets:

Britt Mart
    Crafters Town
    Novia Market
    Silverdale Market

grandmaJOY, Elgarion, Rinaldi and 3 others like this.
  5. Anpu

Anpu Avatar

As for more basic information, while in game, there's a ? icon at the top right of your screen. Clicking that will load the basic Player Instructions. This has a lot of good basic information.

I also have a few step by step guides to go over some basics here: Anpu's Guides to Getting Started - The Outskirts and beyond

And always feel free to ask questions here! This is a fairly complex game, and many people are very happy to help you with any questions you have.

grandmaJOY, Elgarion, Rinaldi and 3 others like this.
  6. grandmaJOY

grandmaJOY Avatar

Thank you all so much for the information and insight!

And Anpu, you are right about it being reasonably complex. I was surprised, given its age, just how complex everything is.

Anpu and Time Lord like this.
  7. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Welcome @grandmaJOY !!! I hope you take the time to get to know this awesome game. It is not going to be similar to any game experience you may be used to, but it really great when you take a step back and experience this game as the quirky and fun game that it is. I highly encourage you to find a guild to help you on your path as there is much to learn. I am too humble and fair to a fault to promote any guild, but if you can't find another, just PM me.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.