New Player questions - Long live Catskills!!

Discussion in 'New Player Welcome' started by Xkhan, Mar 8, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Xkhan

Xkhan Avatar

Hi all -

Finally bit the bullet and bought the game. I have spent 3 days now reading forums and searching for questions so if I should know something please know its not from laziness but just inability to get good answers...

In no order:

1. Is there a dps list for weapons? I always love a halberd - but if a 2 handed axes is 'better' then I gots to go with substance > style.
    2. Will there be the good ol Rune books / runes / teleporting? Two things I loved in UO was picking locks off chests (hundreds of hours in Despair) and my rune library!
    3. So I wanted a 'bundle' because I want a 'house' but I wanted the game thru Steam so I would always have it. Steam only had the base game so no house...but I see I can buy one as add on - though I read in one post you have to have a deed first...so...with much apology - can someone explain this to me like I was 5? What do I need to do step by step to get a house, drop it down, and get a merchant in there selling my stuff? :)
    4. Does the quality of the weapon help a good deal? I can't find a weapon that's not rusted and the ones I see players sell is for crzY gold...

Thank you!
    Khan

firesparx, shanna, Hornpipe and 3 others like this.
  2. Black Tortoise

Black Tortoise Avatar

Axes probably do more dps than polearms, but its the playstyle + skill tree that makes the difference. You can view the weapon's damage by hovering over the item for a few seconds. In any event, polearms have abilities like very far range, hitting more targets at once, ignoring shields, attacks that ignore armor, increased damage resistance, etc. Axes have skills for sheer damage, stuns, and similar utility. Axe + shield would be a different experience than 2H axe. It depends on your playstyle, and how you utilize the skills in the tree, and also the kind of opponent youre fighting.

firesparx, Net, Hornpipe and 3 others like this.
  3. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

The game is still getting balanced, so any answer could be invalid the next release.
    General answer would be that Polearms do more damage than Bludgeons, but that Bludgeons do more stuns than Polearms.

No.
    However there are two things already in the game which is a limited version of that.
    Teleport scrolls
    which allows you to rift directly to a friend's scene
    Bind scrollls
    which allows you to first bind at a town crier or a lot where you have permissions, then you use the scroll to go to your Bind location. However you can only have 1 bind location.

1. Create account
    2. Buy the bundle in the SotA store
    3. Validate STEAM through the STEAM page and button on your account page
    4. Log in to game
    5. Play the starter scenes (this will take hours)
    6. You will end up in a starting town/city
    7. Get to a bank, click the Claim Rewards button
    8. Put the land deed and the house in your inventory, also take the vendor
    9. Find a friendly outlander estate owner (the bundle deeds are for player-owned-town only)
    10. They will point you to a lot you can claim
    11. Claim the lot with the land deed
    12. Change the house on your land to the one in the bundle
    13. Add the vendor to your lot/house
    14. Prosper
    Please note though that that will cost you a big chunk of change, what you could do instead:buy basic access in STEAM
    1. go to the Player Marketplace here in the forums
    2. Write a WTB post listing size of lot and house you want (it will be about half price as above)
    3. Buy a taxed vendor in game for 20 000 gold (not as viable if you are a career crafter, then you'd want a taxfree one)
    4. find a lot to claim
    5. put up house
    6. add the vendor

You could also buy a place-anywhere deed, etc.

So there are plenty of options both in where you want to live but also how big you want to live. So I'd advice getting a basic account first, then talk to me and I will set you up with a triage deed and house so you can see which size etc you want/need/can afford, then after that do one of the scenarios above but with better knowledge about what you really want to own.

Yes, but mostly only when you get up into the higher levels.
    Basic non-rusty stuff is usually purchased from NPCs not players, while what you can get from players is far better than from NPCs.

But don't sweat it early on, when you get to high level you will earn more gold etc.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2017
  4. Balandar

Balandar Avatar

Long time player of UO Catskills here, assuming that is what you are referring to! Welcome to SoTA!

5. Innascual Inch

Innascual Inch Avatar

Bludgeon and Polearms are nowhere near as good as Blades.

Bludgeon and polearm trees are supposedly getting revised sometime in the future, but that could be many months from now. If you don't want to struggle with melee, go blades.

firesparx, Spoon, Hornpipe and 2 others like this.
  6. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

The ability to rent a room is on the horizon.

7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Welcome Xkhan to Shroud of the Avatar. I am Majoria in the game if I can help anytime. :)

firesparx, Hornpipe and Luca Xante like this.
  8. Luca Xante

Luca Xante Avatar

Welcome @Xkhan !!!
    Feel free to add me as your friend as well :)

firesparx, Hornpipe and majoria70 like this.
  9. Xkhan

Xkhan Avatar

Thank you all for your warm replies and information! I see from reading the posts that many of you are very active and participate in many game discussions - nice to have the 'experts' wanting to help!! My group is excited to join one of the communities - we have to figure out which one to try. Hopefully will get some good 'playtime' in this weekend!!

I have more questions.... >duck<

1. I bought 5$ item during telethon last night - when can I see the rewards?
    2. I am already starting quite a collection of 'junk'...keys...how do you guys handle what MAY be junk?
    3. I picked up 2 handed axe and it said it was bludgeon? I assumed it would be blades...?
    4. How can I dye my cloak and/or put a design on it?
    5. What are some of ya'lls favorite vendors for different stuff? I really haven't gotten out of SolTown. There is a merchant at the welcome center that has great stuff at good price (but no weapons).
    6. Any good way of tracking crazy items? Spiderling silk, wolfs head, spider eye - I have no idea if I will need as reagent, cooking, or crafting later on!
    7. What does buying a backpack do for you?
    8. When the game goes to launch - will our characters be wiped? What about our homes (if I have one by then)?
    9. Where do you guys like to bind at? Is there a 'smart' place for travel purposes?
    10. Oracle - I keep failing the test. I ask path of truth/courage/love each time but I'm still getting it wrong. Very probable user error (!!!) but how do you guys do it?
    11. For the huge demon in the SolTown catacombs Tharsis? how many people does it take to kill it?
    12. Is there another good catacombs maybe 2 skull out there we can try? I saw some mines or something but we didn't go in...

Thank you!!
    Khan <--- in game name

firesparx likes this.
  10. rpgmaniac82

rpgmaniac82 Avatar

welcome to the community and the game khan!:D feel free to add me as your friend;)

in game name galahad dragonsbane

11. Shanna

Shanna Avatar

#10 (yay, I know this one!) You can ask the oracle about each of your virtues before taking the test, and she lets you know how you are doing with it. I wasted 500gp before I asked someone about it, myself!

firesparx likes this.
  12. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

On phone so will split up the answer. Sorry about that.
    Next week a note will show up in your Account rewards section. Which will show that you've got it.
    Then after that it usually takes 1-2 releases for them to implement the stuff into the game. This since it would be a waste to make stuff if the goal is not achieved.
    Now since sooooo much was achieved it will most likely trickle in over the coming releases and last time we got this much the last item went in 3 releases later.

firesparx likes this.
  13. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

First I get a Smsll Bag and rename it Kit and keep in my inventory.
    Then I put all stuff I want out of the way into that to get some order.

Then I put some of that into Bank storage if I don't think I'll use it in a long time.

firesparx likes this.
  14. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

All axes count as bludgeon skill in this game.

firesparx likes this.
  15. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Note! Not all clothing are yet dye-able.

But for those who are, then you first purchase or craft the dye. Then drag it to your item in inventory and drop on top.
    You will get a confirmation window where you can select and preview primary secondary color scheme.

16. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

For beginners stuff head to Ardoris to the south of Soltown where there are more NPCs and a Public Vendor where any outlander can sell/buy stuff.
    But my favorites are Player Vendors but those are expensive and hard to know what is a fair price.

17. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

In chat write
    /sotawiki xxx
    Where xxx is the name of the thing.

18. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

Only order in your inventory nothing else, so just a way to remove cluttering the base inventory. But don't get Backpack since they weigh 2, instead get Small Bag since they weigh 1.

19. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

There are no more planned wipes. The game is in persistence.
    There might be rollbacks of certain things but never more a full wipe.

Homes are account bound, even if you delete your avatar the home is still there when you create a new one on your account.

But all taxed deeds require upkeep. If one don't pay deed tax the deed and all in the home goes to the local bank.

20. Spoon

Spoon Avatar

First write
    Path of courage
    Path of love
    Path of truth
    Then write
    test
    Depending on the virtue scroll up, and disdain=no, important=yes.

But really usually it is Love=yes, truth=no (since you stole something from an NPC), and courage usually isn't registered.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.