Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

New reagent changes - spell requirement

Discussion in 'Release 26 Feedback Forum' started by Peabo, Jan 29, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I do not like the new change, its a little early to say but I believe the cheap prices of reagents from NPC vendors has now wiped out the market for players growing and selling them.
    The other change I noticed was you are now required to have 100% of reagents to cast a spell.. missing one type and its impossible to cast.

[​IMG]

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  2. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

Yeah b ut if you read a little further only consumes a reageant about 1 in 20 times, so you need it but not always use it.

3. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I'd like to see reagents required for all spells, period.

4. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

I think it's a fair trade off. Only a chance to consume reagents, and that chance increases as the tier of the spell increases. Sounds legit to me.

5. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Yep, great change, love it. :)

6. Peabo

Peabo Avatar

I preferred the previous releases, where if you missed a reagent it added more fizzle. The 20% chance to consume reagents just cheapens the already cheap reagent, hence removing a player market of growing and selling.

I do like the feedback you guys are giving, does anyone feel this needs tweaking?

Jivalax Azon likes this.
  7. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Just want to point out that the tool tip says reagent consumption 1 out of 5 times, not 20, sir.

8. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Personally, I'm waiting on the Agriculture skills before considering reagent farming dead. It is possible that higher skill levels could bring the farm price down to sub 1 per item levels, which would still make them more affordable than purchasing from merchants.

Time will tell. :)

Peabo likes this.
  9. Coconut

Coconut Avatar

I am using what DS said :)

10. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

I disagree completely with this.
    It took UO a decade of complaints before they added LRC pieces to negate the stupid requirement for all the different regs we used to have to carry.
    They did this because the old system of having to carry them all really p*ssed off the huge majority of players.
    Much like this will here in SotA.

I hope they either give us some way to avoid them (skill/whatever) or remove the requirement completely.
    For those of us who go out and fight on a daily basis, it's so d*mn tedious to remember them each time we leave the house.
    Just dumb, IMO..... :mad:

And magic is, well magic.... I've seen plenty of "magicians" cast spells with zero reagents.

11. Elwyn

Elwyn Avatar

As long as NPCs will happily buy them for 10 gold each, the price will never go below that. Add the 10% fee, and they will never go below 11 each on the public vendor.

4EverLost likes this.
  12. NRaas

NRaas Avatar

Current "Sell to NPC" prices for reagents in R26 you ask ?

[​IMG]

FrostII and 4EverLost like this.
  13. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

The price of reagents is lower than intended currently. We'll move the vendor prices up in an upcoming release... *watches everyone rush to vendors for speculative reagent purchasing*

14. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Personally, rather than a chance to consume I prefer to build on that concept or a variation of the idea with reagents having a charge. What I don't like about random chance is.. well it's random. You're basically gambling with each cast.

Now if a raw reagent has a charge.. you get a guaranteed number of casts out of 1 reagent so you know exactly what to expect. Then I would build on that further with being able to refine reagents to be able to get even more use out of them. @redfish had a good idea about reagents having charges but I don't remember the thread title so he'll have to plug it himself.

Either way I would also prefer all spells require reagents.. working off the assumption that all reagents are available.

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  15. redfish

redfish Avatar

@Bowen Bloodgood,

Sure. :D Here's that thread on reagent potency. At least so people have a reference. My sense is the devs are avoiding more complex solutions to the problem.

16. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

The probably true but too much simplicity isn't always good either. Besides, I like to try to keep ideas fresh for future reference. You never know. ;)

KuBaTRiZeS likes this.
  17. KuBaTRiZeS

KuBaTRiZeS Avatar

Keep ideas fresh? Shameless plug! what about making reagents a way of customize spells?

My preferred approach was always to make them to add some "extra" to the spells, and allow the player to prepare spells with or without reagents (kind of a resume of the thread i pasted above), mostly because i think ammo because of ammo is dull, and being required doesn't make them meaningful. I agree with the reasons stated by @FrostII, and i think my suggested approach could differentiate between people that just rely of magic (basic spells no reagents) and the true wizards that mastered magic, carrying reagents to modify their spells as they see fit.

That being said, i can settle with this % chance of consuming as a way to keep things going, something more meaningful/interesting can be done about reagents down the road.

Bowen Bloodgood likes this.
  18. Shortina

Shortina Avatar

I am happy with the current changes. I don't think all spells should require reagents or new magic users might have difficulty doing any damage.

cartodude likes this.
  19. Throgua

Throgua Avatar

Well the new changes make the already inefficient Death tree even more useless.
    weak decaying summons that need reagents.

Shortina likes this.
  20. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

AGREE!!!!!!!!!

FrostII likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.