NoN-PvP homes in a PvP town?

Discussion in 'Player Owned Towns' started by Tahru, Dec 10, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

This may sound silly, but I am wondering if players will be a target in their own homes if they live in a PvP PoT?

I am considering a PvP town, and I am wondering if I want to live in it. Even if a player loves PvP, they may want to RP unarmed sometimes, or manage inventory, etc... This is very realistic considering how much money the PoTs cost.

mbomber likes this.
  2. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

I do not think you will be able to specifically toggle areas of the town as outside of the PvP zone. In fact this would seem bad as players would use the boundary as an escape point. That is my understanding thus far. But you do have a key to the door I believe!

Tahru likes this.
  3. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

What about the home permissions. I wonder if it is possible to only allow friends physically inside.

4. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

Because there are so many entrances to a house and possible ways of getting onto or into the house I think this is probably unlikely - potentially you may be able to block at the main threshold or use items to block but I doubt there will be physical barriers that don't exist blocking avatars. That is speculation though, I believe Chris addressed this in a thread about being able to break into homes using some items to climb on top.

Tahru likes this.
  5. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Then I guess, the closest I could get to my idea is to have two PoTs, One PvP to play in and one NoN-PvP to virtually live in. Then just connect them. I think the cost is pretty much the same anyway.

6. Biblik

Biblik Avatar

It could but another alternative is to lay your POT out in such a way that a piece of hard to reach or dedicated to crafting. You could potentially use a row of 4 story row lots to do this on the border and then the interior of that area would only be reachable by going through the front doors of one of the lots.

Tahru likes this.
  7. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I own an Open PVP town, The City of Penshire.

It's my assumption that player homes are completely secure allowing the owners to have a bit of sanctuary, even in an open PVP player owned town. Because there are no direct dev quotes about this, it's technically up for debate. But having followed this game from near the beginning, I'm confident that this is a safe assumption.

Themo Lock, KuBaTRiZeS and Tahru like this.
  8. E n v y

E n v y Avatar

I actually hope houses are not secure......I'd much rather see lockable rooms :)

Duke Raas likes this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

I don't think we can balance it (from a pvp standpoint).

I think we'll have lockable doors eventually, but not the type players can break into. It will be either locked or not locked, but it will be permissions based.

10. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Seriously, could you imagine the impact of "all loot" PvP while you are sitting in your place with a stack of inventory decorating, organizing or whatever. I't just a game, but that would really suck and every player with a large property would be a prime target. I am adventurous, but that is asking for it.

11. Drocis the Devious

Yes, I can imagine it. :confused:

smack, majoria70 and Tahru like this.
  12. TEK

TEK Legend of the Hearth

Walls are your friends. Also flagging your property private will help which of course should required walls around your lot.

Tahru likes this.
  13. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I'll tell you exactly what I would be willing to upgrade to a metropolis for. If I could ensure protection in a single home if I place it there, I would buy it and turn the entire scene into a capture the flag PvP zone, with my one place so I can watch the fun. That is what I would be willing to upgrade for.

14. Drocis the Devious

Walls you say?

The only friend you have is permissions.

Tahru likes this.
  15. smack

smack Avatar

Sure you can imagine it, but can you realize it? Unfortunately, for this game, stealing is a bug.

16. Drocis the Devious

Good find, smack. I hadn't read that before! Thank you.

I wasn't advocating a world like the video I posted above. To me that would be a horrible world to RP in. Too chaotic and meaningless.

The world needs good rules and a fair and balanced playing field to be believable and stable enough where roleplaying can exist. If the world of SOTA is so crazy that people can basically take anything they want by simply exploiting a few mechanics, that's not a game I want to play.

However, if there's a balanced way to implement stealing, I'm all for it. I've posted my own ideas about how that might work many times.

17. smack

smack Avatar

Since stealing will only ever be consensual (PvP flag) if it's ever to be allowed in this game, I thought we drew that line with cash-shop goods / pledge rewards? If you can't loot them, you can't steal them. Everything else that doesn't have that attribute should be fair game?

18. Drocis the Devious

I don't like that "solution". That's a very poor design that basically says "People that like PVP are idiots and they just want to kill and steal everything that's not bolted to the floor".

This is what gets me really upset about the way pvp is being design (so far). It's like there's this preconception of who pvp gamers are and are not. The truth is I love pvp but only when it's meaningful. I'm not looking for an arena of death and larceny. I'm a roleplayer and the whole reason I started following this game was because I thought it would offer me an opportunity to compete in an environment that had some logical rules.

There's nothing for example that would keep a player out of someone's home (unless there are hard coded permissions). If my home isn't good enough to store items in then what good is it? I can't be online guarding it 24/7. So I reject the idea that all non-addon store items will be stealable anymore than they'll be lootable.

Tahru likes this.
  19. Drocis the Devious

20. smack

smack Avatar

What I mentioned wasn't even a solution or a design. It was merely a starting point for a discussion for what was deemed off-limits by the devs.

Beyond that, there are no mechanics to lock goods down in various ways with varying levels of protection that can be crafted/purchased/whatever. There are no mechanics to steal given those various obstacles. Again, assuming they ever allow stealing in this game and it's tied to your Open PvP flag, then they must give you the tools to lock down your lootable goods in various ways. On the flip side, because it is a PvP activity, they must give thieves the skills to unlock those mechanisms to gain access to those lootable goods.

We know we're already going to get bank space which is 100% safe from any thieving, again if that's ever allowed/implemented.

We know we're already going to get locks to doors to restrict entry into a house or a room. But will they take it any further and put more mechanics into locking down those goods within containers of some kind? And then will they introduce thieving mechanics?

There may be meaningful roleplay for some archetypes, but being a thief is likely not going to happen in this game. Certainly not for Ep1, but sadly likely not ever.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.