Official Housing Tax Rates

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Thexedor Markhamm, Jul 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thexedor Markhamm

Thexedor Markhamm Avatar

Just posted in the update section:

"The following are the current Property Tax Rates for Taxable Lot Deeds. These are balanced to be based on about one hour of effort per week to maintain a Row Lot on one end and about one hour of effort per day to maintain a City Lot at the top end. We want the Tax Rates to be achievable for single players easily for the smaller lots and through determined play for the larger lots. We will carefully monitor these values and adjust them if average play times do not match these goals.

DarkStarr Addendum:

"For reference we based these values on observing players making about 3500 - 7500 gold per hour at median levels with decent crafted gear (some determined players were making as much as 20K per hour)."

In-Game Gold Rates:

• Row: 500 gold per day
    • Village: 1000 gold per day
    • Town: 2000 gold per day
    • City: 3500 gold per day

Seems steep to me. Then again, I've never really done much besides selling rusty weapons to NPCs. What are your thoughts?

Last edited: Jul 25, 2016
  2. Sophi

Sophi Avatar

oh ouch

.....uhm....

3. RobotBeginner

RobotBeginner Avatar

Too expensive. If you are always worrying about to pay enough tax for your lot everyday, how are you going to enjoy the game? We are playing the game but not working for the game. The tax rate should be much easier for average player.

Cordelayne, zyxe, Apophiss and 11 others like this.
  4. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

My concerns aren't so much about the tax rates themselves, but what the economy's going to look like with an expected 3,500g/hr baseline. Won't that mean new players coming in are going to see unencouraging prices when they go looking for starting gear?

Mykll, Spoon, Derium and 4 others like this.
  5. Earl Atogrim von Draken

Earl Atogrim von Draken Avatar

2000g/h is no problem even on lower levels.

6. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

15,000g per month for a Row Lot, LOL -- and then this: "We want the Tax Rates to be achievable for single players easily for the smaller lots"

Welcome to your new "job" if you have a taxable lot. Hopefully these will be adjusted to more realistic numbers, as I fear it will drive away new players.

Apophiss, ilcontegis, Mykll and 12 others like this.
  7. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

If so, doesn't that indicate a problem with the currency? Most people don't think of money in terms of thousands per hour. Maybe turning gold to silver and then set gold to 10s or some such would achieve the same net effect but be easier to intuit the math of.

8. Solazur

Solazur Avatar

Ouch is right. Dang!!

9. agra

agra Avatar

This is what happens when you set thresholds/try to balance based on the top 5% of players instead of the majority of players. Oh well, at least plenty of lots will be opening up in September.

10. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

They state that they want "We want the Tax Rates to be achievable for single players easily for the smaller lots"

Average gold made per hour is between 3.5k and 7k per hour. Lets average this at say 5k an hour...

Row Lot = 5000/500 = 1/10 of an hr.... 6mins per day........
    Village Lot = 5000/1000 = 1/5 of an hr......12mins per day......

Seems reasonable to me for players to afford the smaller lots, the larger ones are still quite easily doable solo if you are a dedicated player imo

11. Arradin

Arradin Avatar

What are you talking about? Top 5% Players will not have a problem getting 15k per month to pay a row lot tax, will be done in 2 hours max. ( the top level i know you are talking about dont even need to pay tax. )

Chris made a statement on Discord that a row lot will equal about 1-2 h farming per month while city would be an hour per day.

Melissa, Jatvardur, Leelu and 3 others like this.
  12. Celthon

Celthon Avatar

I think what he's saying, is that high-end players had input into the decision regarding how much can be made per hour, and that for the casual low-level player these numbers are not realistic...

13. RobotBeginner

RobotBeginner Avatar

Can we just make a player spend only a few days collecting money for the monthy tax and make the rest of the month free to do other things in the game? Actually, for the housing in game, we are just decorating it and enjoy having a house but we are not actually living in it everyday like in real life situation. We should not rate the tax like in real life housing situation.

Blake47, Leelu and Whyterose Flowers like this.
  14. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I don't think a decision on how much is made is collaborated on between high end players and devs. I think statistics are looked at from the devs end, and a figure produced. Maths!

6 mins per day for a player to afford a row house...12 for a village....Do you think those are unreasonable?

I think your wish has been granted ^^

4EverLost and Leelu like this.
  15. Cinder Sear

Cinder Sear Avatar

I think we should try it out, especially with the rebalancing of loot coming, it probably won't be so bad. Also I think, housing should be expensive, and it will truly prove a reward for those that really wish to have it. There will be enough players of this caliber to eventually fill housing I am sure.

16. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

I don't think people are questioning the time-to-pay-rent metric, but more don't get the thousands-of-gold-per-hour metric that is being used in the time equation. If that could be cleared up more by concrete examples than by quoting average statistics, it would probably be very helpful.

zyxe, Solazur, Leelu and 1 other person like this.
  17. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

Well from a personal point of view, i have never been high level during all the release.. I only generally grind when i need som gold. And the only grinding i have ever really done is to go to the little spot outside Owls Head, the newbie area..with the skeletons and the bears and those pesky spiders. I usually fill myself up with old swords and ectoplasm and once full run back into town and sell. It usually takes me id say about 30 mins to get full up and from memory i get about 1-2k from that...
    So from my perspective. Playing as a low level character, in a newbie area..i can comfortably make 2-4...say 3k an hour....Seems reasonable to expect...5k per hour at least!.....i hope much more when you advance a little.

18. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

I might play an hour a day max. So 20% of my time goes straight to rent for a taxable village POT lot? WAY too much.

Last release village tax was 200 per day. That was reasonable. This is 5x more and not reasonable for more casual players.

19. Krissa Lox

Krissa Lox Avatar

That is extremely helpful and puts things in an understandable and testable context -- thank you!!!

Although there is a component of that plan that won't be doable anymore, it still greatly helps to know what levels and what activities you are basing your thoughts on.

Leelu and Bow Vale like this.
  20. Lord Andernut

Lord Andernut Avatar

@Chris came up with the metrics, taxed lots are a little further along the road for placement and people probably have a chance to earn some gold and learn some strategies by then and see further balancing if needed.

They can change the taxes at any time, upward or downward as demanded by the economy.

Vox Aquila, Beaumaris and Leelu like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.