Only one character slot? (Please answer poll)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EVL Treasurer, May 20, 2013.

?

Would you rather see more character slot options in this game or are you happy with just one?

1. I prefer just one character slot

50.4%
  2. I would rather have more than one character slot

49.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I'd rather you refrain from removing pieces from the board myself. :)

(Yet another illustration in the differences of the thought processes involved).

2. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

I'd like all players to have the same amount of chess pieces - one.

Freeman likes this.
  3. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Well you won't have much of a game if everyone has the same piece will it? Imagine if everyone has only a bishop.. or a knight or a pawn. You need a full set to play.

4. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Miracle Dragon and Freeman like this.
  5. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

It's a multiplayer game. If they make the game right, it will bring players of all kinds to PLAY the ROLE of many different types of avatars.

Freeman likes this.
  6. Freeman

Freeman Avatar

That's exactly why I'm asking. I don't want to hit you with this next bit for you to say ah, but I think of this as the Bishop. So put all your pieces on the board.

7. High Baron Asguard

High Baron Asguard Avatar

I'm amazed people keep screaming "the story" but then want to lock the story up so it can be experienced once and only once, do you buy books and the burn them as soon as you have finished reading it? But a blueray and then smash it when the credits start rolling?

Do none of you ever want to experience the same story twice? If I was Tracy I would be insulted that my contribution was being treated as something to get out of the way rather than something people wanted to experience again and again

8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I don't think a single character slot keeps you from experiencing the story twice. You can always do single player offline or delete your character and create a new one. I know you don't consider this optimal, but they are still available options.

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  9. Robby

Robby Avatar

I like the one character per account idea. Though im not going to fight too hard to keep it that way. Just think its interesting.

10. High Baron Asguard

maybe but even so that fact alone undermines the argument that it HAS to be one character only "because of the story" which is being pushed here.

Offline only is an option sure but if that was the option people intended they would have only paid in as much as needed to buy all 5 chapters and then left it at that because a house in the offline game will cost a fixed amount and that's it so why would people pay 500 or more for a house which they can get in game with no competition for in game gold? the benefits are no where near the rewards, in fact I don't even know if I will be able to claim my free house in the offline game anyway. Furthermore it limits my ability to experience that story with the people I want to play with, I cant play through it with my family (who I bought accounts for so we can play together) again and again

As for deleting a character sure if the whole game came out straight up that might be an idea, but its being released over 10 years at 4 hours of content per game. So either the character I'm playing is so bland and uninteresting that I don't care about deleting it and starting again (something I don't think anyone is hoping for) or I have to wait 10 years before being able to replay the game

oh and if that is the case there goes any chance of me contributing to the world because why should I sit down to write a story if I am going to have to delete it after 4 hours of game play when I want to replay the game?

rustypup likes this.
  11. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

If you read a story twice it's the exact same story. Do you read a lot of choose your own adventure books?

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  12. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Having Multiple characters would allow a player to become self-efficient, mastering all skills, which is not conducive to multiplayer interaction.

Having multiple characters is exploitable by thieves and PKers. Easy to cause havoc in the game with a character you don't care about, because you can just delete it and create a new one when it gets into too much trouble, while all along still having your 'main' which behaves and follows rules and doesn't get into trouble.

If you can tell me how these game-ruining experiences can be avoided without limiting number of characters to 1 per person, (thereby ensuring the value of your character is always maximized), please speak now.

Beno Ledoux likes this.
  13. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

Don't forget about muling. The powergamer's special helping hand/storage locker.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  14. High Baron Asguard

How would it make you self-sufficient any more than one character would? there are no skill caps, the caps are only in TIME, ie there are to many choices to possibly chose them all in the amount of time you could play so how would splitting that time between 2 characters give an advantage? it would actually disadvantage those of us who want to play more than one but we accept that disadvantage

Not so much recently as I have moved into gaming for that kind of story but yes in the past I have and YES I played them more than once

15. High Baron Asguard

You mean a house?

16. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

@Asguard

I knew you wouldn't like it, but it is an option. You also assume you cannot replay story missions with friends. That has not been said, so its possible that won't be a limitation. Its also possible you might be able to reset the story on your character too. So I don't think that's really a valid point until we know more: of course I guess that applies to nearly all our conversations. :)

Also new character will keep stuff you purchased as the Devs said you would not loose them. I imagine this stuff would also be available in single player offline; however, rent and "decay" really isn't necessary there since the whole point it to stop squatting in multiplayer.

I just wish we could hold back on emotional arguing about issues until we get more information or get into the alpha/beta, and I am not necessarily talking about anyone in particular as we are all guilty of this at one point or another. Reading this thread just makes me sad...

Miracle Dragon and Beno Ledoux like this.
  17. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

I don't mind multiple characters for single player mode...go wild. But for online, it's bad news.

Freeman and Beno Ledoux like this.
  18. High Baron Asguard

why?

19. Grogan

Grogan Avatar

Hold on, let me get my other forum account to like this post first.

Beno Ledoux and Miracle Dragon like this.
  20. High Baron Asguard

so you don't have an argument then?

actually that just proves how irrelivent it is to other players, so what if you were Umbrae as well, would that change my argument or my responses? no they would be the same

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.