Only one character slot? (Please answer poll)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by EVL Treasurer, May 20, 2013.

?

Would you rather see more character slot options in this game or are you happy with just one?

1. I prefer just one character slot

50.4%
  2. I would rather have more than one character slot

49.6%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sindariya

Sindariya Avatar

I think, we got only one character slot because you play yourself in the world of New Britannia. You are ONE person who goes through a portal and you can't be TWO on the other side of the protal. I understand why most of you want more, but with this idea behind the game, it is clear to me why I will only have one slot which i personal prefer.

2. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

If you want more slots, pay for additional licenses. It's that simple. This prevents sharing of accounts and people creating characters that they don't have to be morally responsible for.

3. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

It can simply be the game and story RG wants you to play through. He may want you to experience these limits. Do you have alts in real life that let you do whatever you want and escape into your other life? No. So perhaps that limit IS PART OF THE GAME. This is not meant to be a free wheeling role playing game. The role is YOU. For THIS game, you are playing one person, you, you need to decide what is most important to you and your one character and you need to carry on with those decisions. It is part of the game and the story. It is not part of the game/story that you can transform into multiple different characters at will.

4. Ashlynn [Pax]

Ashlynn [Pax] Avatar

Well not really. It is nothing but a monetary barrier - one that may discourage some people from creating multiple characters but not everyone. Given that it is obvious some people will want multiple character slots and will pay for it anyway, you may as well just make it an option in account management to purchase them instead and save people the trouble of remembering multiple usernames/passwords.

So realistically the game won't really be gaining the perceived benefits that giving players only a single character slot is supposed to bring. It is simply imposing a cost of $29.99 or whatever per character slot. =P

5. BillRoy

BillRoy Avatar

This is what it boils down to really for me and possibly some others too. I don't do bad things to innocent people, I live (in game and out) by "do unto others as you'd have them do to you", and I don't want a villain or person who abuses and hurts others to come into town in a disguise pretending to be my buddy only to have him/her stab me and others in the back when the opportunity presents itself. Also going into town to collect info that you wouldn't have access to for the use of villainy, as your bad alt is not fair play.

I don't believe in the "this is my bad guy, if you meet him you are in for it", and this is my helpful merchant who is a nice guy. You are what you do.

monxter, Beno Ledoux and Freeman like this.
  6. Silver Sterling

Silver Sterling Avatar

Actually i think this is why Mystic rememberd "this is just a game".
    It is not you in the game. Its an avatar. You aren't going trough some sort of portal. You're sitting in front of your PC. If you want to play only one you and identify yourself with this avatar feel free to do so. This would aswell work with more as one avatar. By creating yust one avatar, there would even be the benefit, that the avatar would level faster.
    But peoples who want to play another way and test around with some additional character, even when they would have one main character they play most time woudn't be able to do so. Yes, people can now come again with then play offline, but if everybody who want to test something would play offline, then the peoples who say the world is to empty and there should be only a online mode will have aswell something to say again.
    For me this is simply a try to force other peoples to play a specific way.

7. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

Monetary barriers can be very effective against griefing. I do agree with you the option to "purchase" additional character slots should be right under your profile to prevent the multiple username/passwords. I could even see these extra slots as being a significant discount. I just believe that there should be this monetary barrier that discourages abuse of the character system.

Beno Ledoux, Phredicon and Dame Lori like this.
  8. Duke Ironman

Duke Ironman Avatar

They did say that there would be a way to restart your character if you want to start fresh.

9. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Why do you care how we play the game? Having evil characters bothers you? Are you afraid of being robbed or PK'd?

It shouldn't matter. You play your game and will get matched with your style of players and we play ours. Why must some people ruin the fun of others because they don't get their playstyle, even if you will never meet us in the game.

Edited to remove personal attacks on individual players ~ FireLotus

It shouldn't matter if we play evil to you, you do not have to play with those characters and you do not have to play with full PvP flags.

Stop trying to gimp the game for players who do not only want to be Noble Bank Sitters.

This is inherently bad online RPG design. It works in single player but online gamers want variety and freedom. Our adventures and pleasures are defined by the ones we create with other players, not the ones the devs coded (usually, and I am not saying I am not looking forward to the SotA story, I am).

hanskrsg likes this.
  10. Dame Lori

Dame Lori Avatar

[*edit* This was in response to a post I'm not seeing now. Deleted?]

Gimping the game = requiring you to live with the consequences of your chosen evil play style? You're welcome to play an evil character, but then you should live with it. You don't get to jump on your happy shiny alt to conduct happy shiny alt duties to outfit your PK without the inconveniences (ie. justice) that may have befallen you if you were limited to roaming the land as an evil character the entire time you are in game.

11. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Ah the “moral responsibility” argument. So it is OK to ignore such moral responsibility as long as I buy an extra account? How about an extra slot? Paying $ to Portalarium removes all moral responsibility? How about you stick to your morals and I stick to mine without buying extra accounts?

And obviously you don’t get ‘alts’ in the real world, we also don’t get to slay dragons or cast fireballs; is that not why we play games to begin with? Last I checked this was a (lets break it down word by word) ROLE PLAYING GAME. Not a Medieval Fantasy Setting Second Life Simulator, or a Be-Yourself Playing Game. Just by entering the game we are already doing things we don’t do in real life, and should we not get to experience this game however we want as long as it does not ruin someone else’s experience? I find it hard to believe that me playing two or three characters will rob you of your ability to enjoy this game (unless you gain joy from being spiteful). You play the game your way, with a single character and all, and let us do our thing.

These additional characters I am lobbying for are in reference to online play. If Richard Garriott and team want us to really experience the story alone then so be it, give us extra slots upon completion of the episode.

Plenty of people don’t even care about story line and just play the game the way they want. Why rob people of this experience when adding a slot helps them but does not rob you of yours?

Tolerance people, tolerance!
    That’s why this debate is so heated with so much poop flinging. People want to play their way, even if their way greatly deprives other people’s game.

Bayien and hanskrsg like this.
  12. Phredicon

Phredicon Avatar

This is more for the 'want to play evil also' people and less for the 'wants to role-play different personalities' people, but based on what RG said about his idea of having a single character and people having to live with their choices (paraphrasing, it's in some video), would you be more willing to accept a single character slot if that made it more likely to have OPO mode be more like open PVP with full looting?

I know this ignores many other reasons for wanting multiple characters, just curious about this part of it.

13. VZ_

VZ_ Avatar

Are you familiar how alts work? No one is pretending here. One character is a clear villain and one is not (if that is how the player chooses to use his slots).

If you are against being killed or robbed, simply disable open combat/PvP and you are safe. Why impose this restriction on people who actually enjoy that playstyle (and will be playing among themselves anyway).

You also have a very black and white view of the world in general.

14. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Temporarily locking this thread from further responses, as the bickering back and forth continues even after I gave you the cease and desist. *le sigh*

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.