Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Over World map looks Great

Discussion in 'Release 7 Feedback' started by SmokerKGB, Jun 24, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwanbo

iwanbo Avatar

The new map isn't bad, but it does need improvements. As stated already roads, hexes, etc.

I think a nice feature to add would be if a player uses the mouse-wheel to zoom all the way in, it will load whatever hex the avatar is on.

2. Sinclair

Sinclair Avatar

I wouldn't say its great right now, but it feel like a tremendous step forward compared to the cartoonish overland map. A good base for improvement. I like this setting and i am satisfied with the first result This is what i've backed during the kickstarter campaign. For sure its far away from being optimized and polished.

3. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Sinclair, we know it isn't quite there yet. The real challenge was coming up with something that was data driven, easily modifiable, attractive, and could scale to a map several orders of magnitude larger than the island. The base terrain geometry is getting pretty close to final but obviously, all the models for towns, trees, dungeons, etc, are all place holder. For R8 we'll get some real models in there.

I'm working on the performance right now. The trees are the problem as they are full detail trees from other maps. Likely for R7 I'll just be decreasing the density of the trees and for R8, we'll have real, lower detail trees in place.

Thanks for your patience with this stuff. Also, just a reminder that we call this stage "pre-alpha", which technically is true because it is before alpha but we are really letting players in before we even believe things are complete. This is one of those things that where we know it isn't there yet and you guys are just getting to see it in a half finished state.

4. docdoom77

docdoom77 Avatar

Thanks Chris! You guys rock.

5. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

This is one of the reasons I backed this game originally. Everyone gets to see games in their finished state; not everyone gets to see the construction take place from the ground up. Thanks @Chris (and team)!

6. Chris

Chris Tech Lord Moderator Ambassador SOTA Developer

Koldar, as always, I'll go over some of the guts of what is going on with the new tech, including the map, in my R7 post mortem next week.

7. Bow Vale

Bow Vale Avatar

I did like the cloth map but i really can see great potential with what they have done now. Yes it is badly optimized at present but that will all be straightened out im sure. The new overland map for the vale seems massive as well, if they can create the mainland with that same vastness scale, and flesh it out with alive features, then the sense of exploration will be there for me at least.
    Very pleased with first showing.

mitchellhamilton, docdoom77 and Kaisa like this.
  8. Lord Baldrith

Lord Baldrith Avatar

Great work on the new map Chris! I'm very happy with it!

9. abovenyquist

abovenyquist Avatar

Portalarium is doing the game industry as a whole a service by being willing to help educate players about the stages of game development. The more players are able to calibrate their expectations and effectively judge works in progress, the more developers will be comfortable giving players earlier peeks, and the more developers will be able to benefit from knowledgeable, informed feedback earlier in development.

10. Malchor1

Malchor1 Avatar

It seems that the overland map is heading in the right direction

ByTor, SmokerKGB and Montaigne like this.
  11. Bubonic

Bubonic Avatar

YES!

Thank you Portalarium!

The map is fantastic.*

*Yes, it needs a lot of work. Yes, the art looks like an early pass. But the promise is there, it's working... it feels like ultima!

I can't wait to see the next iteration!

mitchellhamilton and ByTor like this.
  12. By Tor

By Tor Avatar

The map is now in a different league than the 2d cloth map version. It's immersive and consistent with the rest of the world and graphics.

Thank you for listening to the backers and having the guts to do a 180 degree turn (well, actually a 360 since it's similar to the map at the beginning of game development).

Bravo, Port!

13. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Unless they add a gameplay layer I dont think it is accurate to call it "in a different league"
    Cheers

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

14. Floors

Floors Avatar

It's better than that map. That map's scale made no sense, this makes more sense. Big fan, having a great time in the game, can see it coming together. Can't wait to get my stuff !

15. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Now that I had the opportunity to try the new map myself I have to say: I really like it! It looks like a world to explore and it is fun roaming around in the wilderness.
    I especially like the lighting. Witnessing a dawn was great. Seeing the mountains being bathed in warm, orange light was gorgeous!

Sure there is still some work to do on the map but I really, really like this first version! :)

Joviex, SmokerKGB, ByTor and 2 others like this.
  16. Retro

Retro Avatar

This is a comment I and I'm sure the Dev's wanted to read from you for a while now ;)

I love the new map also...

17. twobells

twobells Avatar

With respect, are you lot nuts?
    It's the same damn map! :p

1: Ugly, with next to no functionality.
    2: nothing like the Kickstarter map we were promised it would be after that awful last map.
    3: The rivers looks like Plasticine, with no movement, the green is reminiscent of federal prisons and guess what? the player is STILL a flag!
    I can't believe how bad this map is after everything that has happened, its turning into some sort of gamer's nightmare, I can see it now.....night after night tossing and turning, muttering "lost on ugly map, (snort)...will we ever get a decent overland map, (snuffle), why am I a flag mommy?, (whimper)".

18. Koldar

Koldar Avatar

@twobells
    I can understand your concern about the present state of the map, but rest assured it is far from finished.

To quote DarkStarr from his R7 instructions:
    And to quote Chris from further up this page:

I think it is a great step forward and a huge move in the right direction. Is it finished yet? Of course not. There is still much left to be done - the developers have stated this quite clearly. But, IMO, it's a very good start. :)

smack, Sir Cabirus, NRaas and 2 others like this.
  19. mike11

mike11 Avatar

Not sure why you have to defend the "its not done yet" statement of the obvious.

Sent from my GT-S5690M using Tapatalk 2

Caska DiFumarate and Joviex like this.
  20. Mitch [MGT]

Mitch [MGT] Avatar

I was indifferent to the 2D vs 3D overworld map originally but WOW seeing that 3D map in R7 sure gets me excited, this is the real deal folks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.