Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Penmawr Island Impressions - Spoilers

Discussion in 'Release 53 QA Feedback Forum' started by Vladamir Begemot, Apr 24, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Beautiful! I'd live here. I do imagine that the scene isn't done, so anything you intend to add later that I'm pointing out here as missing, I understand and no need to worry about replying to that.

Spawned in and the first thing I saw was a capsized ship. Swam to it and was disappointed to see that I can't climb up. Since it is the very first landmark one sees, and also the closest, perhaps it should be explorable.

Like the surf SFX.

Since I was so close I of course had to go to the next ship and was sad I couldn't go in the door.

Pirate with spear at Loc: (-42.4, 10.7, 230.3) takes an incredibly long time to respond to me. I can stand and look at him for 5 seconds from right in front of him.

And after going all over the village, the pirates have a very short range of awareness.

Headless skeleton in the thrones is very interesting, what happened here?

The tree going up to Loc: (-47.7, 20.1, 175.6) begs for an easter egg, something harvestable, etc to be right in the flat area above the tree.

Put something in this room: Loc: (-14.0, 13.4, 83.8) and the next (assuming you already know that but I might as well note it in case it got missed.)

Pirate dancing on the roof! Classic!

By this point I'm getting used to sunken ships having nothing on them. If they suddenly do start to later, I may easily miss it, assuming there is not anything on any.

Beartrap got me in the door, nice!

On the back side of the island you come in at there was a beach with only a single sand elemental. While nice and picturesque, it did seem like more could go there.

As I run around these rocks I find myself wishing for things to mine.

Ghost galleon is super cool, but needs some enemies.

North side of the island is pretty empty as well.

2. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

So if you start and swim around the South side, to the west, then you get to a little cove with a chest (yay! Exploration!)

This encourages you to keep swimming around the island, which at the moment is a bad idea. Lots of swimming with zero reward.

majoria70 and Rentier like this.
  3. redfish

redfish Avatar

You know what would be cool on some pirate ships? Spectral skeletons... Like skeletons but in ghost-like form, like the ghost dog/cat/raven.

[​IMG]

Then give some skeletons and spectral variants cool stuff like flaming swords.

4. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Loved Monkey Island!

And as I continue, my impression is still: part of it isn't done + the pirates detection range is way too short.

Cordelayne likes this.
  5. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

The Elven Fighters have the same detection range issue.

Wild boars don't seem to.

6. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Loc: (91.9, 38.2, -13.9)

Loc: (97.5, 38.2, -8.1)

How close I have to be for to be seen.

7. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

I just realized, this is a piraty saily kinda place, please put some rope loot around!

(Moments later I found 2 rope. I could use more though ;) )

8. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

So Viola is playing at the island now too, and she keeps getting fooled by the super close detection range. She's walking up to them thinking they are able to be talked to because they don't attack from a distance.

Rentier likes this.
  9. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Between the two of us, Viola and I have found 5 or 6 chests. So far 1 was empty, the rest were Mimics.

Edit: one more mimic.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2018
  10. Cordelayne

Cordelayne Bug Hunter

Me too, just had to share because the music was so good! :D

11. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

While I agree with your multiple posts on things that could improve this scene... I found it to be a really great one overall!

This scene has a really fun and challenging puzzle to figure out (I'll be posting a nice walkthrough on Rinaldi's Puzzle Spoiler thread once this goes live)... complete with buried treasure chests around the island and a boss ghost that comes to protect his booty once you complete the puzzle.

Not saying your suggestions aren't warranted... just saying there is more to this island than you might think at first glance. ;)

Jaesun and Rentier like this.
  12. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

Interesting, didn't find that.

The X that goes from the Faces, I thought perhaps centered on the cave with the chest with the guy with the 3 pointed hat. I'll have to look harder. Gotta give it to Shroud for their great Puzzles!

Rentier likes this.
  13. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

That X is part of it. If you want to discover it on your own, look harder in that area. Or, if you get stuck you can just wait until Thursday when I post the walkthrough. ;)

Rentier and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  14. Vladamir Begemot

Vladamir Begemot Avatar

So much to do! I will try harder whether I wait until Thursday or not, but I've got a couple of other bugs to nail down and tomorrow is pre-release day so that is a whole nother bucket of bags of sacks of worms.

Thanks for the tip though!

Rentier likes this.
  15. Belladonna Rose

Belladonna Rose Bug Hunter

I havent spent too much time here. Gonna do more today. My only gruff on it is that the Troll is gone. There used to be a small island with a troll . We used to go there to fight him Now its gone. Its definitely a puzzle type scene which is good. I LOVE the dancing pirates all around the scene. I think the skeletons should do the same. Dancing Pirate skeles would be funny. But overall so far the scene is good. Will have to investigate more today.

16. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Yes I agree about sad that we can't explore ships we see on the water and just like not being able to climb the massive trees in our new forest. Those are details worthy of this game imo. What happened to "if it looks like you should be able to do something with it" attitude. I am looking forward to exploring the scene.

I tried not to look at the spoilers and indeed hope our feedback for making scenes give lots of reasons for re-visiting over and over. Also really hoping the scene gives clues and lore about what has happened there. It will make it feel much more alive.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  17. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

The old Penmawr Island was a clone of Ravensmoor on the Hidden Vale. Ravensmoor is staying as is, so you can still fight Torc'Dawl the Unbreakable in that scene if you want to.

Sannio and Vladamir Begemot like this.
  18. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

By the way, just revisited there again today and after the last patch (672) all the "bandits" now look like actual pirates in terms of their clothing. Would have liked to have seen them wielding a cutlass or rapier instead of spears, but maybe that will get changed too?

These NPC's give the scene more of that Pirate feel than before, so this itself is a big improvement.

Vladamir Begemot likes this.
  19. Dereck Visaard

Dereck Visaard Avatar

I love the pirate NPCs. So cool.

@DarkStarr , @Vas Corp Por , I know it's tier 4, but could we get a mini-boss in the hold (or on the deck) of the haunted pirate ship? The ghost of Davy Jones perhaps? :eek::eek: It's pretty lonely right now.

[​IMG]

20. Sannio

Sannio Lead Quest and Level Designer Moderator SOTA Developer

The previous version of Penmawr Island was cloned from Ravensmoor, in Hidden Vale. If you want to go back to fighting that troll, then should head off to Ravensmoor!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.