Pets, Taming, and Ranching.

Discussion in 'Crafting & Gathering' started by Link_of_Hyrule, Dec 21, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. aevans

aevans Avatar

The Royal Artisan Kickstarter pledge level offered the 'Unique ability to tame an elusive monster that an ordinary player could never tame!' And that level is well below getting lot deeds, so no reason to think you need a house for tamed animals. Though I don't know how many you can store. (And I hope taming collars are only good for one animal, so I can sell a lot of collars in-game.)

The Add-On Store has items for some pets. I suspect with those as long as you have the item, you can call for the pet. Though I suspect those types of pets only allow you to have one out at a time. Plus I don't think you actually 'store' those, just call a new one when you want it. Not sure if item-called pets work the same as tamed pets.

2. Margard

Margard Avatar

Cool, Thanks

3. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Good questions.. I don't think anything has been mentioned concerning the specifics, perhaps the stable boy can keep track of pets for you?

I'm positive a house will NOT be required for any major forms of gameplay.
    They've made it painstakingly clear that housing is limited, most players won't have them.
    So many people won't have houses, that it simply can NOT be a required feature for this or any other important aspects of gameplay.

4. Margard

Margard Avatar

It would be nice if they released a list of tamable creatures ... I mean it can't be that controversial ... specially the ones that won't play a prominent role in PvP.

It would be cool also if they let us know how one tames a creature - I saw the whistle in the add on store for a turkey and a deer

... and I was like what? come on dev team a Turkey? really ... we have Isaiah and Mishri hoping to tame dragons and we get a turkey ... lol

5. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I am entirely opposed to the taming of creatures that by all right should be able to crush you in one bite and swallow you whole.. that is dragons.

On that thought though you could consider the life cycle of a dragon might be as such that they could literally take decades to even reach adolescence. So at most all you'd have is a baby dragon.. but I don't especially care for that either. The taming of dragons will just make them far too common place and no longer special.

What I want to see are pseudo-dragons. Something roughly the size of a cat.

6. Margard

Margard Avatar

Cat sized dragons? Are there any in Ultima lore or any other fantasy setting that you are aware of?

- I had mentioned the aging of the dragons to be real time (max year would be 1 year old by the end of episode one and 5 years old by the time of episode 5) ... but I agree that having something as dragons being common place would be a bad idea in my book as well.

7. redfish

redfish Avatar

Of course, in folklore, dragons were all sorts of sizes, and just referred to a certain class of beast. The dragon St. George slew is depicted as pretty small compared to dragons in fantasy games :> But a very small sized dragon would probably be called, what, a dragonet?

8. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

Not specifically Ultima lore no.. but they don't need to be. SotA will have "lurkers" and "locusts" which aren't part of traditional Ultima lore either. Psuedo dragons do appear in other fantasy settings such as D&D and other fictional settings yes. I was first introduced to them in the Dragonriders of Pern series. The last time I brought it up other had mentioned versions of these in other fiction also.

9. Margard

Margard Avatar

I think you're right I was just looking for it on Google .. :)

10. Margard

Margard Avatar

I'm all for anything that seems real; as real as you can get in a fantasy setting ... but without knowing the creatures that SoTA has in mind I'm curious as to what they select from the fantasy setting to tame and how that will mesh with all aspects of the game

11. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

We will already have full sized dragons in-game so miniature dragons aren't a huge leap either in concept or production. They would for example use the same skeleton and animations as fully sized dragons.. and depending on the dragon design they could just use a scaled down version of the model.. rigging and all.

As a prospective tamer myself, what I really don't want to see are a lot of huge creatures doing all the fighting for you while the tamer hides behind them. I can see something like a bear or similar size sure but nothing a seasoned warrior or mage couldn't deal with.

I'd much rather see more interesting smaller animals with non-combat functions.

12. Miracle Dragon

Miracle Dragon Legend of the Hearth

Yes!! A few Ultimas (I remember specifically Ultima 6) there were wizards that had pet 'drakes' which would fit the bill nicely. though they spit fire or acid, so you have to be careful, still pretty wild. ;) But yes, Drakes would be the 'pseudo dragons' of Ultima, and I'm sure there will be something similar in SotA as well, just not sure they will be tamable.

13. redfish

redfish Avatar

Oh yea, Rudyom...

[​IMG]

Drakes were in Ultima VII too but they grew bigger -- everything grew bigger because of the variable tile size -- trees were small in U6, too.

[​IMG]

And they were still pretty big in UO.

There could be three sizes though.. dragon.. drake.. dragonet.. or there could also be wyverns or other related beasts.

The wyvern would be the two-legged variety, of course.

[​IMG]

Koldar and Miracle Dragon like this.
  14. Margard

Margard Avatar

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

There are a lot more examples too... basically dragons were in in a fuzzy category with all sorts of serpents.. beasts called 'serpents' in bestiaries would often be drawn with legs, often erroneously. Syrens, jaculi, cerastes, hydros scitales. Salamanders were even considered a type of serpent/dragon. Cetea are usually a kind of sea-dragon.

16. redfish

redfish Avatar

Hmm... just remembered, the devs are doing a pawn/knight/bishop/rook/queen thing with monster types. That might end up applying to dragons at some point, too.

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  17. Margard

Margard Avatar

I forgot about the drakes in U7 ... the cave that you are sent to by the Fellowship is full of them ... lol ... "prove your worthiness", more like lets see if we can't kill you off so you stop bugging us ... :p

18. Margard

Margard Avatar

ok ... but that won't affect the taming world, I can't imagine they would allow someone to tame a 60 foot dragon ... or would they now :)

19. Bowen Bloodgood

Bowen Bloodgood Avatar

I think the point was that maybe they might make a small version of dragons anyway. :)

Miracle Dragon likes this.
  20. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

I would think like uo there will be stables but of course all the things in this thread are just ideas not really anything has been announced but we'll find out more after release 4 Chris said.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.