Player/Creature Collision

Discussion in 'Skills and Combat' started by Galamar, Oct 12, 2015.

?

How would you like collision being handled?

1. Full collision

2. No collision

3. I like the current state

Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

I am definitely not a fan of how collision is in its current state. It is so annoying walking near or into another player/creature and arbitrarily slowing down to a snails pace. It honestly makes no sense and breaks immersion. I would much rather have them either add full collision or just take it out completely. What are your thoughts?

padreadamo, Budner and Lord Baldrith like this.
  2. Verit

Verit Avatar

I think that slowing down makes the most sense and does not break immersion.

Having no collision would not make sense unless we are all ghosts.

Full collision does not make sense either. If one person is blocking a doorway, they would not be completely immovable. Some one or some group would be able to move that person. Full collision would also create a problem where people are body blocking things just to grief.

I think of the slowing down as the time it takes to maneuver around or bump the other person out of the way.

Alley Oop likes this.
  3. Daxxe Diggler

Daxxe Diggler Avatar

That is an interesting way of looking at it... and it sort of makes sense of why it is like that now.

But, collision is something that is planned to be added to the game at some point (it was actually supposed to get added in R22 or R23, but the use-base system work held that up). I think it might get added in the next release or two.

I think collision and the ability to physically block an NPC or another player in combat is severely needed for strategy reasons. But I would be perfectly ok if it was kept to just a slow down while out of combat or in a town, etc. That would prevent any griefing or doorway/content blocking by idiots with nothing better to do. But if it's in a combat situation, I want to have the ability to put myself (or someone else) in between an enemy and group mates to prevent them from reaching someone that needs to be protected.

I even think that arrows and some magic attacks should be absorbed or deflected by a "tank" type in between an enemy and someone being protected in addition to being able to physically block an NPC or player from getting by.

4. Browncoat Jayson

Browncoat Jayson Legend of the Hearth

I want full collision, however that also means we need to be able to push past someone else. This would slow both players, but would allow someone to push someone out of their way. Jumping might be an option to leap "over" someone who is actively pushing back against you, so you can't just surround someone and gank them.

5. agra

agra Avatar

Unless it's going to be possible and valuable to block an NPC, in PvE, I see no value in collision. There's far more interesting, innovative, fun and challenging mechanics, never mind bugs that could use programming/designer time, imo.

6. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

From a pvp standpoint, not having collision and friendly fire is crazy stupid.

7. Verit

Verit Avatar

At least in pvp, if there was full collision, you could kill someone who was trying to block access to an area.

8. Katrina Bekers

Katrina Bekers Localization Team

In PVP it's already full collision, AFAIK.

With NPCs, would be nice to have "solid" entities, so you don't overshoot them when you approach them to get in range.

9. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

Collision should be handled the way it is in The Witcher 3 or Assassin's Creed. You shove the others away.

Galamar likes this.
  10. Curt

Curt Avatar

I wish was no collision versus watchers, they should observe not influence.

For other collisions i would say slow down and possible cost focus to pass thrue someone

11. Ravern

Ravern Avatar

Completely removing collision would impact immersion even more so.

I look at the slow-down as you bumping into a person or pushing through them.

I'm for either full collision or the system we have in place now. The advantage of the system we have now is it gives that realistic feel without the worry of it being abused. Sure, it can still be abused but the difference is it can't be used to stop a person from playing. You can't completely stop a person from walking through a door, for instance.

Personally, I'm still getting used to how it is now--but I like it. It's a good change. I'm just accustomed to MMOs that have zero collision.

12. Link_of_Hyrule

Link_of_Hyrule Avatar

Even though it can potentially be used to grief I think I would much prefer full collision at least on Player to NPCs.

13. Galamar

Galamar Avatar

Honestly I am just annoyed getting slowed down artificially when walking near and into people and creatures.

14. Fyerwall

Fyerwall Avatar

Collision on Watchers is what annoys me the most. On players/NPCs/Creatures I can deal with it. The Watchers, however, tend to annoy me with the slowdown.

15. redfish

redfish Avatar

I remember in U8 there were these small spiders and when you would walk over them, youd squish them

16. Womby

Womby Avatar

As long as I can continue to smash every one that I come across.

17. Gix

Gix Avatar

Being slowed down is annoying. I wouldn't mind it if NPCs didn't clutter areas where there's heavy player traffic. The bridge in Adoris (a narrow path cluttered with watchers and merchants) is a good example of how the collision slowdown can be annoying.

18. Lord Dreamo

Lord Dreamo Avatar

Full collision with a "shove" skill if people are trying to be dicks lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.