Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please allow us the option to have an XP bar on main screen

Discussion in 'Release 31 Feedback Forum' started by SabeSr, Jul 2, 2016.

?

Show XP pool in some manner on main screen or not.

1. Show as number or bar at players option on main screen

2. Don't show on main screen (show on skill screen)

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

still doesnt change the fact that it requires more work/time. and like said in my post, its just the first version.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  2. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I like that we have less on the screen.

But I'd like to have a better idea of what was going on with my XP. The UI that comes up when you hit K is way too big and a waste of space.

Oba Evesor, Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  3. Beaumaris

Beaumaris Avatar

Skill XP should be added as a stat to the character paper doll.

It will be seen there more than on the skills screen.

4. Abraxas

Abraxas Avatar

I would love to be able to see numbers on screen somewhere. I used the information regularly to gauge whether I was spending too much xp into skills, fighting too strong or too weak of foes, etc. It was really my best metric to understand if I was progressing, saving, or wasting my time. give me a toggle for on screen UI that I can move around or resize as I see fit. actually all of the windows should be resizable and movable but its a little late in the game for stuff like this.

StarLord, Budner, FrostII and 5 others like this.
  5. Lazlo

Lazlo Avatar

Yes, exactly. In order to understand how this skill system works and plan accordingly, it's pretty important to be able to see what's going on while you're fighting, at least some of the time. Skills are triggered and xp spent every time you swing a weapon, cast a spell, get hit by an enemy, etc. Just looking at how much you have pooled every once in a while doesn't tell you anywhere near as much.

Just having it available on any window that isn't humongous is fine by me.

Acred and Abraxas like this.
  6. Roycestein Kaelstrom

Roycestein Kaelstrom Avatar

I find it easier to just press K look at numerical value on the skill gump before I fight, then look again after the set of mobs are killed.

The only difference between before and now is one require 1-2 key strokes and another one is two mouse hovering.

Also, I'm under the impression that they are moving away from pooled excess XP bar to emphasize on the use-based skill gain.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. Elnoth

Elnoth Avatar

I don't mind it hidden away. When it is on the screen new players that don't understand it's function seem to become too obsessed with "losing" XP.

When it is hidden away I can still monitor my XP pool, without having it as a constant concern as it is there on the screen.

Time Lord likes this.
  8. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

Many of us like to monitor our progress ( seems natural to me ), but others don't like seeing it.
    Fair enough....
    Here's a solution I would suggest.... see pic:
    And that could easily be toggled on/off.......

[​IMG]

Lockeydragon, Budner, Abraxas and 6 others like this.
  9. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I would just like to add that all that space to the right seems like a huge waste. I wish they could figure out a way to present that information more cleanly. Like maybe if you click on (for example) Life Magic, the left side of the screen shows Life Magic and then if you want to look at something else you just press a back button to return to the overview page.

Budner, FrostII and Oba Evesor like this.
  10. Dariog

Dariog Avatar

If you have a left side mouse button, you can bind "K" to that. Then it's a simple click-on, click-off to glance at the xp numbers. That's what I do, anyway.

11. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

That being said, the original code for the XP bars still resides within source control one would hope. Thus, while it would take some time, it would take a very small amount of time as that code would need to be reinstated and hooked up to a Game Menu checkbox.

12. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

The primary problem for the size of the skill tree GUI is it has to accommodate the largest tree to be contained within. Since there is heritage and layers within the tree have some significance such as when you need a master trainer, then their hands are somewhat tied. Shot from the hip would be a pop out grouping based on tier. They would have to rely on people paying attention to the tooltip on prerequisites though. Not sure how much they can count on people reading. ;)

13. SabeSr

SabeSr Avatar

Why take away what people want? and what is really that hard to code... code something OUT or leave something alone that NO ONE complained about seeing... I watch the forums, I have YET to see anyone say... "HEY get rid of that XP bar man its in my way taking up way too much room!" Some times I think some of you are trying to ruin this game before it ever gets chance to succeed, including the dev's

There were far more important things to code then taking out the XP bar ffs.

Time Lord and FrostII like this.
  14. Leostorm

Leostorm Avatar

15. FrostII

FrostII Bug Hunter

And we are here to give them our opinion of what we're seeing right now, so they'll know if we like it or not....
    Which is what we're doing.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  16. niteowl57

niteowl57 Avatar

I agree. Leaving the numbers on the skill tree is fine, but the code is written to make the XP bars function, so I would love a checkbox to Display XP bars! I would also like to see the character level, perhaps on the Character screen, on the same line as strength, dexterity, intelligence; they could abbreviate it as Lvl and I think it would all fit.

Oba Evesor likes this.
  17. SmokerKGB

SmokerKGB Avatar

I didn't even notice they were gone...

I think they were the one single item that was more misc-understood by a lot of players, I happy to just see that I have points for gain, that's all I really need...

18. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

I'm torn on this issue...

I don't truly care if something takes more coding or not... I surely hope we're not buying into any economy car when we talk about "Our SOTA" o_O

There are times when I wish our game had more "wonder immersion instead of technical immersion", but I could go either way on this issue, depending on whether or not "it all goes one way or the other".

Yet I do tend to wish for less tech ad more imagination being required... :cool:
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

SmokerKGB likes this.
  19. Jefe

Jefe Avatar

My concern is that there have been some precedents set in the look and feel and mechanics categories that have been wholesale refactored for reasons I don't particularly get.

My original hope a few releases ago was that certain look and feel and game mechanics were solidified and may only receive an iterative refinement. However, it appears that this is not the case and that the interface and mechanism are much more fluid. I suspect end of July will be a very soft release and I question if there'd be a further wipe actually given my perception of loss of mechanics maturity.

That being said. I guess the best way of phrasing is: When the Windows 10 install runs, there is an option that says Make it look like Windows 7. I know that's the option I'd pick in that situation. Sometimes something is good enough and major refactors over engineer and ruin something.

Part of the reason why I left TESO was that they could not stop changing core mechanics even through release. What is more immersion breaking? Having menu toggles to show/hide technical detail on a system that remains consistent or completely removing and performing major refactors on skills and crafting types (Sparks to Blade Cloak, Provisioning, Cloak, Wings, Forward Camps, Vet Levels, Champion Point Restrictions, the list goes on).

Hate to say it, but 1. The economy car tends to have less performance tuning tweaks. 2. I suspect the SotA team does not rival the size of AAA title teams in size.

Time Lord likes this.
  20. Mugly Wumple

Mugly Wumple Avatar

I think the long term solution is to make the entire interface modular, allowing any element to be dragged out to exist on its own.

SmokerKGB and Time Lord like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.