Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please make a better way to travel.

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Rakugoth, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

I have played an open world map, back in my granpappys days when we also had to walk 6 miles to school and 6 miles home each day in the snow on frozen ice with nothing but newspapers on our feet, does this mean I want to go back to that era? heck no, I love my car and my bike and my bus and my tennis shoes and my long johns, seriously with 6 million dollars I could buy a LOT of sweet assets in the Unity Asset Store, that look a heckuva lot better than this, I have to wonder just where exactly the 6 million is being spent......

2. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

6 million really isn't a lot of money to develop a game. Many have a budget several times that of SOTA. They do have to worry about more then just buying assets as well. ;) Anyway we have known this game will have an overland map and not be a seamless openworld since the kickstarter. Back then it may have been feasible to change direction at this point it is not. I understand why some people do not like it. I was not a fan of it at first as well. But it is not going to change. So if that is something that someone absolutely cannot live with then I would leave now. However I would encourage people to give it a fair chance. Though at this point it may be better to try out the game again some time in the future maybe when loading times are better. I really suspect that a lot of the complaints about the overland map would disappear if loading times were much faster.

Dirk Hammerstrike and Tahru like this.
  3. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

6 million is not a lot of money to develop a game. Which makes you wonder what the heck Port'y would have done if only the 1million asked for during kickstarter was raised... (hears the crickets)

So.....considering SotA's tiny budget; have the right decisions been made? Was a fully 3d world necessary? Or would top-down isometric have allowed for a far more complete experience, reduced loading, reduced need for 3D detail level visuals, reduced complexity/development time etc?

4. Kaisa

Kaisa Avatar

Yeah I seriously cannot imagine they could have made a decent game for only a million dollars. I mean even with the 5+ additional millions we have raised I still am concerned it is not enough. I also think that a top down isometric view may have been a better use of resources and maybe would have reduced their cost significantly. I mean a fully 3d world is cool and all but when your budget is this small I do feel that maybe some different decisions should have been made.

5. Illesac

Illesac Avatar

Keep the dual layer map but add the rune marking / recalling mechanic for a hefty price. Would really love to have a way to pop out of a town level to the overview instead of having to run all the way to the exit...very tedious.

6. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I always chuckle when I read posts like this, how much do you think it costs to make games?

7. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

how much do you think it cost to make this game? that would be a better question

8. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

More then they made in kickstarter by the time they get the first episode out you are looking at around 8 to 9 million since they still have a lot of work to do and aren't paying peanuts to some foreign workers to do it.

Morkul likes this.
  9. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

And do not forget that all the money from kickstarter are not to be spent on episode 1 since a lot of players have pledge to get episode 3 and some all the way to episode 5.

10. Dasilva

Dasilva Avatar

I still think we should be seeing much nicer assets than we are. I mean at least it would be nice to see items that overlap? for example my fireplace has a mantle on it but yet I cant place anything on the mantle? oh and my wall sections dont overlap, so instead of looking like walls they look like wall sections

11. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I'm sure there are items like that in game, there are a lot of items. Why not put a bug report in and see if they fix them?

12. Chatele

Chatele Avatar

Won't grow on me, I really really don't like it, i like what the OP said. ;)

13. Rakugoth

Rakugoth Avatar

I see many people agree with me, and many do not. I personally want SOTA to feel as much like a 3d UO as possible. The overland map kinda ruins the game for me sadly =(.

I would much rather just have a normal map that is created as I explore the world.

Maybe the overland map will "grow on me" =)

Tahru likes this.
  14. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Funny I want the game to feel like a 3d ultima.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.