Dismiss Notice
This Section is READ ONLY - All Posts Are Archived

Please make a better way to travel.

Discussion in 'Release 14 Feedback' started by Rakugoth, Feb 3, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rakugoth

Rakugoth Avatar

Please change the way players travel from one location to another. I personally can't stand the current mechanic. Being a huge character on a map walking around from location to location just doesn't feel fun to me in the slightest.

I would much rather travel from place to place without the giant on a map. For example, why not just have the player leave town then get loaded into a area just outside of town that would have mobs, resources, and roads that would lead to either other towns or more locations like the one described in my example.

This would be a much better way to travel imo and leaves the ability to add all kinds of cool hidden stuff to explore while your traveling from place to place.

0pi8, Chatele, smack and 3 others like this.
  2. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

I totally agree... I'd prefer to see a generic connecting area we have to travel through, It could be a pvp hotspot, etc..

I "do" like how easy it makes it this way to go from one town to another, it's fast... but I still prefer having to walk through "real" areas if they can't figure out how to have one large world.

Maybe keep the overland map for the single player game, but I don't like it otherwise.

smack likes this.
  3. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

The amount of coding and design necessary to create the intermediate areas you are asking for are not within the scope of the teams constraints, at the moment. In order to provide the best service they can provide, there are certain design choices that need to be made to allow the team to focus on building the core game. That is also likely a factor in making mounts a stretch goal, because with the limited instance sizes, they aren't very necessary.

What the team is able to do once they release the game will be dependent on sales. If the game is super successful in the market, then I'm sure they would love to provide a more open world feel.

Phenom Ill Il IlI l likes this.
  4. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

Welcome Rakugoth!

You will get used to it, and by the way, it still has enhancements coming like roaming mobs and etc. I did not like it at first at all, but it grows on you.

Lord Lonn likes this.
  5. Lord_Darkmoon

Lord_Darkmoon Avatar

No, the overland map is an integral part of the game and the gaming experience.
    Also you are ignoring the fact that this concept was introduced during the Kickstarter campaign. I guess many pledged because of this concept. You cannot remove such an integral part of gamedesign when people pledged for it. This would be the same as if SotA would suddenly drop the single player mode. You couldn't even imagine the unspeakable negative backlash this would create.

rune_74, Sir Cabirus and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  6. Baroness Innessa Lelani

Baroness Innessa Lelani Avatar

Hated the overland map at first but it's growing on me a bit. The worst part is getting sucked into melee scenes that you then have to run out of causing 2 load scenes. Those load scene screens are slow and immersion breaking.

Lord Baldrith and Sir_Hemlock like this.
  7. Edward Newgate

Edward Newgate Avatar

I realy enjoy the overworld map.
    It has a realy n1 old shool fealing.
    Being a Giant is a designe point, to see you charkter blending out from the rest of the map.
    And me personally i like it that way.

Moving slowly out side of the roads feals some times off, but i can understand wy they designed it that way.
    With horses we would have a faster way to move on the roads, and i came up with an idea how you could move faster in rough terrain like mountens and hills.
    https://www.shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/the-climbers-kit.20991/#post-313348

I think the overworld map is a great game mechanik. Maby you get used to it.

8. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

As a non-programmer I pledged because I assumed by compartmentalizing the world into smaller chunks- that they would load very quickly.

Whether this will be refined and sped up later in development, who knows?

If not... my mistake :p

9. Satan Himself

Satan Himself Avatar

Like fungus.:p

Actually I like the overland map because, well, it's the only way I can get from here to there. And I do love the graphics.

10. Drocis the Devious

Drocis the Devious Avatar

I like the overland map. I can't wait to see more and more functionality added to it.

11. Andrew Rodrick

Andrew Rodrick Avatar

When I first started playing I didn't know what to make of the overland map but it's grown on me through time and now I don't mind it at all, in fact I think it makes the game feel quite unique. Just give it some time, it will grow on you.

Heradite and Tahru like this.
  12. Etheom

Etheom Avatar

It's growing on me.

Add craftable camps that we can setup on an overland location so other players can see and enter the camp.

(SWG Scouts / Rangers will love this)

"Rally southwest of Owls Head at my camp"

Heradite, Dirk Hammerstrike and Tahru like this.
  13. Barnabas Znick

Barnabas Znick Avatar

This thread is proof that it is poor design based on the fact that so many say they didn't like it, but they're "getting used to it", or "it's growing on me". If a feature has to grow on you, or you have to "get used to it", it's a bad feature isn't it. It totally ruins immersion. (for me at least)

Saying it's "an integral part of the game" is like saying a toothache is an integral part of a dentist visit. Nothing like this was in UO, and I would argue that if it was in UO, the game wouldn't have been as popular.

I can see keeping it for the single player mode, but changing it for multi.

14. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I don't feel it is that conclusive. People hate change in their gut. It takes a while for people to stop bitching long enough to give things a fair shot, and some never do.

15. Arkah EMPstrike

Arkah EMPstrike Avatar

i think it "grows on" people because they have never seen it in an MMO before, and it breaks the norm. I'm often standoffish and skeptical of new things, but as they grow on me, i find i enjoy them.

Budner, Heradite, 4EverLost and 3 others like this.
  16. Solstar

Solstar Avatar

Cognitive dissonance is painful. It hurts my brain. Make it stop.

17. Dirk Hammerstrike

Dirk Hammerstrike Avatar

Meh. Like many things in life, when given a choice between A & B, the correct answer is of course "both"! If we had to actually walk walk from Owl's head to Wyntons Folly the forums would be filled with folks clamoring for an overhead map. I can just imagine the posts: "This is too immersive, if I wanted to waste an hour walking from one place to the next I'd do it in real life" "Im getting used to the travel, I can't wait for more content, so we aren't always looking at the same trees" "This game map is too big to not have an overland map. These guys are too old and stuck in the past to not have one" "Can I get a portal from Owl's Head to Kingsport? I'm tired of walking" etc... damned if you do... damned if you don't. Personally I like it. I like it better than the previous iterations and I look forward to its improvement. If there is one day a way to "walk" from Owl's Head to Braemar and not use the map I'd certainly try it, but it wouldn't be a regular thing.

18. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I really like the map, it has so much potential. A lot of people want dumb it down to where you select where you want to go from a menu..no thanks.

I also think having the map helps with making the world feel very large.

RG gave some pretty good technical reasons why it us advantageous as well..which you can find with a quick search.

Sir Cabirus and Heradite like this.
  19. Noctiflora

Noctiflora Avatar

I'm not a huge fan of the map. Never have been and probably never will be. But it's been something planned from the beginning, as said, and it's here to stay. Once the world has expanded beyond the tiny intro island we're currently playing on, it's possible I may warm up to it a bit more. *shrugs*

But with that said, I really hope they will seriously consider some form of recall. While it may not be needed now, on our tiny island, I can see it being a huge PITA eventually once we're off the island. If I don't enjoy the map now, I cringe when I contemplate spending even more time on it once the land expands. My biggest bugaboo with it though, random encounters, seems like they're going to address if I read the dev post correctly. If they're avoidable and by choice, it may help make a bitter pill go down a little easier. :)

Chatele, Budner, Heradite and 2 others like this.
  20. Sir_Hemlock

Sir_Hemlock Avatar

Greetings,

I was originally fully supportive of the dual scale map - yet have changed my mind. I got it wrong. Dual scale does not work if it means frequent long loading times and slow travel over the map.

Duel scale worked in ultima v and phantasy star because loading was near instantaneous and combat was great.

Budner, Barnabas Znick and Tahru like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.