Please stop selling us stuff and give us info about pvp so we know what we are buying.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Gruumsh, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bohica

Bohica Avatar

he chose to ignore your post. Nice points BTW.

Time Lord likes this.
  2. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Every player that goes into PvP steps into that sandbox, they can PvP how ever they see fit. Only they can not drag others into that sandbox.

Ned888, Silent Strider and Gracekain like this.
  3. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

Some say adults don't play games, so I try not to get hung up in definitions as the only fact about what makes an adult is age.

Personally, I get a little tired of people using PVPer as pointedly as they do as well. I consider myself a PVPer, yet find most of the complaints to be splitting hairs. This system will be very similar to many of the other games I have played, and all this stuff about risk/reward, adrenalin/fear, etc was all there. I have played NWN for over a decade exclusively entirely on PVP servers. I have played with and without full loot, fully open pvp and friendly fire. Many of these used systems modeled after UO. PVP in NWN was one of the greatest and rewarding gaming experiences in my life.

RPers that wanted to opt out just never left the town they were in and logged out if it came under fire. I would definitely have preferred an optional system like SOTA, so I could have played somewhere other than a town with them. However, in essence it was not different. I can understand some of the extra wants out of the hardcore PVPers, but most that are reasonable can already be accomplished under the current thinking. The rest would require the game be focused on those features, which just wasn't on the table from the beginning.

In any case, there will be PVPers in this game having fun. Obviously missing a few that want that old-school, hardcore UO experience, but I think the wails of this not being a PVPers game is just sour grapes. It ok to be disappointed SOTA doesn't meet your requirements, but don't try to speak for everyone.

Silent Strider and skinned like this.
  4. Veylen The AenigmA

Veylen The AenigmA Avatar

Thats considered a part time pvper.

Its not about dragging someone who doesnt want to into pvp its aout the ability to freely choose how i play

Like i said a million times. In a consensual game there is no element of risk no running thru the forrest hopig you dont run across someone that wants to harm you. Dont want the risk ? Dont flag its that easy.
    By removing the element of choice you are removing my ability to do what i want and greatly reduce any excitement i have for pvp in a system such as this when pll see someoen esle flagged they asse they want to fight. There is no sizing anyone up or standoffs. You simply get attacked immediately just because you are flagged and thats not what pvp is about

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You want to drag everyone into the sandbox, kicking and screaming. That will never happen, they leave and never come back. So you end up with they same situation but with fewer players.

You step into that sandbox, you get your risk. Just because you can step out does not change that.

Ned888 and Silent Strider like this.
  6. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

You are in your sandbox. 100% of the players in that sandbox are PvP.

Where do the new players come from? New to online games or a different online game. With Sota it's: New to online games, different online game, or PvE.

This is the exact same thing, only more sources for new players. And you can take my word for it, or not, bothers me none, but the #1 killer of any PvP game is new player retention. Having an in game source for new PvPers, that are already conditioned to the game, makes it easier to retain them.

Silent Strider and Gracekain like this.
  7. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

I don't see any value in continuing to argue that people should be able to attack anyone and force things that have been said would never happen since the start of the kickstarter. It's a pointless arguement at this point. If someone doesn't want to play your "style" of game why does it bother you? In UO if you didn't want to pvp you couldn't see most of the world...you could hide in the cities.

8. Umbrae

Umbrae Avatar

I would hardly consider putting in 100+ hours a week into a game part time, but ok. I prefer to just call you hardcore since I am not so caught up in nuances, but we could just say that either way its all still PVPing since in the end they are all colors in the sky.

Thing is... PVP in all games is consensual: even UO. Those that opted out did not play. Having a switch in-game is no different. It just means someone is enjoying a game in which you can't ruin for them. You will have the same number of playing PVPing minus the people that never wanted to PVP to begin with and would just stop playing or never leave town/logout anyway. In essence, this is no different from them not playing, so why would it matter? I stick with my splitting hairs comment.

Silent Strider and Gracekain like this.
  9. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

This thread has devolved into bickering over semantics. There is not just one flavor of PvP that everyone enjoys, just like there is no one flavor of ice cream that everyone likes. If this non-productive back and forth continues, I'm gonna have to lock and archive this thread. :cool:

10. Veylen The AenigmA

Exactly you can run or not play. I however dont have the option to play as i wish unlike most of you. I never ganked anyone in uo but there are times i wish i did wheb peole start beig jerks. Fact is i am entitled to my playstyle no matter how muc you dislike it and i will eventualy find a game that doesnt discriminate against it. I just thiught if any game had the chance to be unique in its pvp and not a stereotype it would be this one and that if any community would support ffa pvp it would be this one

If anything your statements are indictments agaisnst yur own communtiy seeing how you wouldnt trust them to not gank you. I personally loathe gankers but i do enjoy having the freedom to do what i want. In shadowbane i pretty mich closed down a farming area because people were so afraid id be there and kill them. But they did bankroll my city. Despte what u say it takes more skill to fight a pvp opponent with a brain than scripted Ai. I earned my livig by killig people who were farming i habe no means to earn an income via pvp in this game thus my playstyle is dead. No i dodnt gank them i just killed them when they were fighting or afk. Sure its dirty but it happened to me so i beat them at their own game its not my fault they were horribly unaware of their vulnerability.

And guess what it ws the most memorable experience in any game ive ever played. Now people for some reason are so scared to pvp for whatever reason. If u are smart even in open pvp u can qvoid ganking and stand a fighting have by being aware and not setting yourself up to be ganked i cant count how many times in uo i fought off gankers and turned the tables because i was smart about putting myself in bad sitatuons. Theres always hope with archeage and black desert

Pvp creates memorable moments. I cant even remember the last time out of a million i downed some npc. Maybe if u are getting ganked u have bad lucj or are putting yourself in bad situations cause i never had that problem. Yet im payig for someone elses problems

11. Helicon

Helicon Avatar

More conflation of PK and griefing. This should not be happening, and is way worse than the banned term for pver. Erm, just realised this is from a mod as well. Sigh. More explanation of why people have repeatedly got away with accusing all fans of an open world ruleset of being mentally ill, though.

3devious, acrylic_300 and mmjarec like this.
  12. Veylen The AenigmA

Yeah they conflate pvp with ganking even tho most of them habe never tried it or got ganked once and gave up assuming ts always like that. Ive played every hardcore pvp game since up and can say its not always like that

13. rune_74

rune_74 Avatar

Well, this is getting no where. Same circular arguement over and over. You have open PVP with those that want to, that is what there is. No you can't do the above post of harrassing people and chasing them off and taking all their stuff...but you can kill monsters as well to make money. I am assuming you would have to do that anyways to advance your character through the game.

You totally have the freedom to do what YOU want, just not dictate what others want.

14. Ultima Codex

Ultima Codex Avatar

Nope, just ambivalence toward terminology. I'm not an MMO player personally, and I've seen the terms used somewhat interchangeably...and then by self-professed PKs and griefers.

15. Veylen The AenigmA

I doubt you or anyone puts 100 hours a week into pvp. What i dont get is both peope are entitled to play the way they want there are already hundreds of games just for pvers why do we need one more of the same. Why not break the mold. At least give us our own server to test it out. You cant jusifiably rail against pvp in this game if nobody is even willing to try it

People act as if its open season it will be nothing but griefig which isnt even provable until you test it. Who knows may e this community is different but nobody seems to read everytime i say it can be open pvp and still prevent griefing that just means griefig is an excuse to rail against open pvp

16. FireLotus

FireLotus Royal Bard & Master Dabbler Dev Emeritus

Okies, don't say I didn't warn ya...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.