Please stop selling us stuff and give us info about pvp so we know what we are buying.

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Gruumsh, Mar 14, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jondavis

jondavis Avatar

Since this game works with instances I think they can just remove some intances from open PVP which creates larger crowds on others making the open PVP not so thin.

skinned likes this.
  2. Ned888

Ned888 Avatar

I like the way PvP is going right now. You can get a fairly open PvP experience with limited looting which, while apparently unpopular seems to be fair (it affects all equally). It seems as though the rewards are in line with the risks (play tests will tell the tale). If the Oracle Mission does indeed split the players down the middle, or on one side or the other then perhaps the devs will need to step in and modify things. I hope they don't have to, but I am concerned about it. The nerf stick is a harsh tool and tends to be swung in a ham-fisted manner.

I doubt that anyone will change their minds on their perspectives though; at least not right now. My take is that we do indeed need more information, but that information can only really be gleaned from actual play. Hopefully all will be answered satisfactorily at that time.

Xaronzon, acrylic_300 and docdoom77 like this.
  3. Owain

Owain Avatar

For PvP zones, maybe, but for those who have selected Open PvP, it will depend on how many also declare Open. That could be few, or it could be many.

We'll just have to wait and see.

4. Gasket

Gasket Avatar

This entire thread cracks me up.

I haven't read the forums for months now - Nothing has changed in that time, more crappy digital items have gone on sale and yet the PvP system is still to be confirmed.

Make a call RG and DS - then grow some gonads and back it....remember you will not please everyone so stop kidding yourselves into thinking you can.

In the mean time, you will not get anymore of my coin - my confidence in you both withers.

5. Kal

Kal Avatar

here is a developer thread on the pvp and death system, it currently has 82 pages of replies, guess you missed it

https://shroudoftheavatar.com/forum/index.php?threads/pvp-death-current-thinking-megapost.8247/

Owain, Dadalama, Umbrae and 3 others like this.
  6. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

This is why I put this game on the back burner.. pvp suxs its just like a million other games.. n they dont tell us crap. I was excited for this game but with a 1 item loot small pvp areas witch no one will go to..its gonna be boring.. only thing they got right is being able to drop stuff on the ground witch previously they werent gonna do.. I check in to see if my prediction of alot of people being angry with the turn the game made has unfolded yet.. it has n unless somthin is done pvp population will be weak n it will effect pvers n rpers..

blaquerogue likes this.
  7. Sir Ryan of Yew

Sir Ryan of Yew Avatar

PvP should not be and cannot be the centerpiece for any game. It's important that we understand this is a virtual world, it's not a serial killers paradise. Why is it hard to grasp that?

The idea that all your worried about is PvP honestly tells me that you're not the type of player *any* game would be worried about having/keeping. There are plenty of people out there who are the polar opposite of you and just want to play a game and have fun. The game needs to provide many facets of choice for the players, not cater to those who want to run around murdering people all day long.

Dhimmi and Lord Baldrith like this.
  8. PaCOatlanticBaja

PaCOatlanticBaja Avatar

Ahh name one sandbox pvp game othet then uo n eve n dont sat mortal to many problems ok go

9. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

Actually, I think you'll find that most games in the world involve involve two or more players competing. That isn't of itself a bad thing.

blaquerogue likes this.
  10. Sir Ryan of Yew

Sir Ryan of Yew Avatar

I dont disagree and I should have clarified myself by saying any game of this genre :)

My apologies for not being clearer in my post earlier.

11. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

I agree with you that PK isn't an essential (or even desirable) part of the game. But PvP isn't PK. PvP is anything which allows one player to measure himself against another by competing either directly or indirectly. The economy is PvP, the poetry contest is PvP.

PvP isn't an essential part of single player games. I could say compare my time to win or some other points, but that isn't really necessary. As soon as you go multi-player however, people like to compete in some way. And while it may not be important to everyone, it certainly is to many.

blaquerogue and Dhimmi like this.
  12. Sir Ryan of Yew

Sir Ryan of Yew Avatar

You're splitting hairs!

PvP in common vernacular is Player vs. Player combat but there are tons of Player vs. Player interactions (heck even pledging kickstarter is PvP by your definition). I'm specifically referring to the most popular definition, (the context most people are using it in) which is they want Open PvP and Open Loot.

13. PrimeRib

PrimeRib Avatar

You're lumping all competitive play into one toxic playstyle and calling it "PvP." That isn't remotely the common definition as there are hundreds of games featuring PvP and nearly zero which have that. That's certainly not splitting hairs.

blaquerogue and acrylic_300 like this.
  14. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

Details were given the rest is all on trust. The part to take the risk or not is totally up to you.

I have never done a kick starter in my life and I really jumped in on this one for better or worse. Sometimes no one can reassure you about your choices in life, you just have to go with it or not. No crystal ball is available.

I know that a lot of the details will be ironed out after much testing.

That's the best thing about this project. We can say we like it or not and that will help to formulate the best route to take on aspects of the game.

There are no guarantees for everyone to like the finished game but at least the game will have much more of the things we ask for than any other game ever made.

Lord Baldrith and RyanM like this.
  15. Helicon

Helicon Avatar

Again, this grot isn't ok. Can someoone please remove. thanks

acrylic_300 likes this.
  16. Mercyful Fate

Mercyful Fate Avatar

This ideology of yours is seriously off course. Every successful MMORPG in existence has PvP in one form or another. The sheer fact that you would advocate the opposite tells me that you're not the type of player *any* game would be worried about having/keeping. I think tetris or candy crush may be more to your liking.

17. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

It seems to be a common theme in these forums. One side is allowed to defame by spouting off generalizations of griefing, murdering, and killing....sometimes even getting away with personal attacks and accusations of mental illness.

While even the slightest of generalizations get snuffed out if not banished from our vocabulary concerning the damage that too much protection and complaining can do to a game.

I get to be accused of crimes and called names that real world people get the death penalty for. I get to be related to people with serious mental instabilities and sicknesses.

On the other hand, I am never allowed to compare the other party with a stuffed animal, because it might hurt their feelings or even worse give PvE-Only play style a bad name.

PvP = scum of the earth and PvE-Only = wholesome goodness (with dimpled cheeks). As far as these forums are concerned.

At this point the threads have been so censored to the PvE-Only advantage there is no way the devs could hear what the players want...just what the mods want.

blaquerogue, Ferrus, 3devious and 2 others like this.
  18. MalakBrightpalm

MalakBrightpalm Avatar

I have to say I agree. Sadly there are those in the PvP camp, whether they actually belong there or not, that enter the conversation vomiting venom, and don't stop till moderated. They started the ball rolling, and as they do seem to BEHAVE like griefers, I'm going to continue with the assumption that they ARE griefers. They drown out the more reasonable PvP players. Sadly, there are some things being asked for that are unrealistic, and there is also a tendency in the PvP camp to keep requesting things that the devs have nixed.

If those voices could be brought into line, if the requests made centered on FUTURE decisions, I think the PvP forum could quickly become a hotbed of new ideas and fun development.

Dhimmi and Silent Strider like this.
  19. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

Have you taken a look at this page? PvP players have NOT "Vomited Venom" or "BEHAVED like griefers".

It's just another scheme to create a bad Image for PvP by relating something that is not happening to something that clearly is.

You really didn't have to word it so carefully the mods would allow it to be said about PvP regardless.

blaquerogue and Ferrus like this.
  20. Helicon

Helicon Avatar

Can't you see, you're griefing this thread? It's you who's drowning out reason now. Regurgitating hackneyed old cliches which struggled for truth 15 years ago, let alone today. And without even bothering to point the cliches at anything specific - because there's nothing specific to point them at. Stop inventing phantom menaces, mythical problems in circumstances which won't be able to exist in this game.

blaquerogue likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.