Poll: PVP or PVE - Which Are You? [UNOFFICIAL]

Discussion in 'PvP Gameplay' started by Gasket, Nov 28, 2013.

?

What are you, PVP or PVE player? What type?

1. PVP - Consensual - No Looting

39 vote(s)
    11.8%
  2. PVP - Consensual - Full Looting

63 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. PVP - Consensual Or Not - No Looting

12 vote(s)
    3.6%
  4. PVP - Consensual Or Not - Full Looting

149 vote(s)
    45.0%
  5. PVE - Only - No Looting

40 vote(s)
    12.1%
  6. PVE - Only - Full Looting

28 vote(s)
    8.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Owain

Owain Avatar

Your belief is irrelevant.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  2. Innessa Lelania

Innessa Lelania Avatar

You're wasting my time. I explained statistics and polling to you. If you don't get it, and choose to argue with 100 years of staisticians then this argument is pointless. I'm done with it, for sure.

3. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

As I said before full loot are FAR from realistic!

Have you ever tried to removed a armour from a corpse? It takes a lot of time, I mean a lot! On top of that we have the problem of usage, a armour that fit one person are unlikely to fit another unless you go to a armourer to help you with a refit.

Back pack, sword, jewellery and other loose things are realistic to loot but more then that should take a long time to recover, really long time. On the other hand should the armour not magically be transported to the kills player neither but rather removed from the game.

Margard likes this.
  4. Owain

Owain Avatar

If it takes a lot of time, that should expose the looter to additional risk. Risk should be part of the game, and risk should govern behavior. Depending on the circumstances, looting the corpse might be a very bad idea.

Perhaps the best way to handle it if you don't want me taking your stuff would be for you to res naked, and make a corpse run. That may be equally unwise unless you bring reinforcements. You died fully armed. Will you be any more successful naked? That would achieve my goal of rendering you combat incapable, since I am less interested in your pants than I am in ensuring you don't just run right back into the fight.

Of course, if it takes a lot of time for me to remove your gear, it should take you equally as long, shouldn't it? Maybe that corpse run is REALLY a bad idea.

5. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

By segregation I mean a hard line that players are not able to cross. Or a soft line that is too costly or painful to cross.

With guild wars players can cross over to PvP and back out of PvP as they desire. If PvP is full loot they can still cross over but will they be able to accept the cost. Some will some will not.

The story will give a reason for people to PvP. Death needs to have it's sting and winning needs to have it's rewards. Can death and reward be handled on a more effective level than full loot and not cause segregation. (give people a reason not to cross over to PvP)

Item decay can be scaled to fit the level of sting for death that is desired. This covers both PvE and PvP.
    Controlling combat healing so it's not just a simple heal and back to full fighting condition handles tactics well. (Broken arm greatly reduces ones ability to fight) If the player must exit the field to properly repair major injuries, they are removed form the fight. Again, this covers both PvE and PvP.

Akeashar, Margard and PrimeRib like this.
  6. Owain

Owain Avatar

I think requiring a corpse run addresses the question from both sides of the argument. I don't get your gear, but neither do you unless you are willing to come back to fight for it. I remove you from the fight, and you are not subjected to the intolerable mental image of me chortling while stripping your gear.

And for the benefit of Morkul, it's very realistic, particularly if it takes a LONG time for you to retrieve your gear.

Risk vs reward, you know.

7. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

I am good with full item drop on death, works for both PvE and PvP. But then again, I am good with full loot too.

8. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I'm good with creatures looting players for relevant items and using them.

Do we have any idea how instancing will work? Is a corpse run even possible? Will I ever see the person who looted me again? Can they loot me and then choose to put me on an ignore list?

9. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Best we have heard is a priority list of the filter. Friends/Family/Guild/PvP/Recently Played with/Level/Etc I'd have to hunt down the list but the main thing is that the filter will keep you with the same people for a while.

The ignore list is for chat only.

10. haplodocus

haplodocus Avatar

I didn t mean anything about timer to loot corpse...
    Or any other kind of realistic improvement to loot system .
    Being unable to loot body seems far less realistic then being able to do so.

11. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

The same can be said for PvE. How many games put everything the MOB was wearing and using on each and every MOB. Ever kill a lion and not find teeth for a quest that wanted you to collect lion's teeth?

It actually doesn't even go with the statement that this game not be about loot. The best items in the game should be crafted, not looted, PvE or PvP.

12. Owain

Owain Avatar

I would prefer that loot on mobs match their gear rather than randomly generated crap.

13. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

It definitely puts the thrill back into pve.

If I never have to collect x=lion teeth from toothless lions again it will be too soon.

14. Owain

Owain Avatar

Yeah, that is some weak crap. Devs, take note.

Lord Baldrith likes this.
  15. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Now that's a poll I'd vote in.

16. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

I long for the dread that I felt watching in black and white as a Litch Lord removes a bag from my corpse. Why hasn't any other game attempted this kind of detailed evil? Those who remember this know what the bag had in it (regs). The urgency to get back to life and find the litch was gut wrenching.

On the other hand, it was nice to find a bag of 1000 ea regs on an intelligent mob...or a gm sword or whatever. It made the game incredible.

17. Morkul

Morkul Avatar

And I disagree!

Few years ago the role-playing group I'm active in where actually conducted tests where we used a chain mail on a medical manikins (really good human analogue since it's what they train surgeons on) and do you know how log it was for two men to remove the chain mail? Well some of us actually succeeded, me and my fried actually gave up after 45 minutes and dam I was tired after that. If you then add the damage the armour might have sustain during combat and pinching skin or even a whole arm is stuck you will simply not be able to remove it.

So to keep in realistic there should be more or less impossible but if you succeeded I would take some time.

Add to that why should you remove it? Unless you have extremely crappy armour yours self the only thong you would get from someone else's battle worn armour is scrap value. I mean a really poor farmer type of armour or else your current would be better and there is no way someone would buy a battle worn armour.

So again it's not really realistic! However I see a point of having that kind of loot in a game for other reasons but realistic is not one of them.

18. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

So a combination of the two? Full loot minus damaged items, slow looting process for equipped items, and a burden system that better matches someone's real carrying abilities. (can't carry 4 two handed swords and 3 sets of full plate armor while wearing a bow and studded leather armor)

19. Acrylic 300

Acrylic 300 Avatar

And the ability for mobs to loot players....we wouldn't want to give the PvP players something special.

20. Ristra

Ristra Avatar

Of course. What self respecting wild boar would pass up eating every single fried chicken you are carrying.

Lord Baldrith and acrylic_300 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.