Port... I was thinking ..........you might

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by blaquerogue, Jun 6, 2017.

?

Who thinks this is a good idea

1. yes

68 vote(s)
    84.0%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    16.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rufus D`Asperdi

Rufus D`Asperdi Avatar

I stand corrected. Thank you, @Spoon.

Time Lord, blaquerogue and Spoon like this.
  2. mass

mass Avatar

It's a concern I suppose, but I think a few points contradict that concern:
    1. There is no current limit on the purchasing of COTOs...if people wanted to flood the market they could now.
    2. If everything in the store was priced in COTOs, there would be a natural sink of COTOs, reducing the amount to be traded in game.
    3. People using the COTOs as a form of 'layaway' who change their mind are more likely to cash them out as 'cash' in the player market rather than 'gold' in the game.

Sure, there could be some that subscribe for COTOs with no intended purpose of those COTOs that ultimately unload them in game for gold, but I suspect that would be a di minimis effect, especially considering point 1 above.

Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  3. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

But the difference is only those who want to buy COTOs buy it now, if COTOS came with a sub then you would be getting a lot of people that did not actually want COTOS. Nobody is buying COTOS now that does not want them (even those buying to flip them for gold in game are buying them for purpose they want)

That describes me in ESO I wanted the crafting bag, did not care about Crowns and do not like the idea of pay for time (win), But I am not principled enough to waste them so I do spend them on horse training since in game training is designed to get you to buy Crowns. But there is no inflation because Crowns are not a game currency, they are a store currency and they cannot be sold for gold or cash. But absolutely if I could sell them for cash or gold in ESO I would because they have no value to me, I don't like encouraging the Crown Store to put more things up to spend Crowns on.

Just like the included elsser pledge tiers, I did not want that stuff did not buy the pledge because it included lesser tiers. But of course I unloaded them because the game let me do that, and that did contribute to the flood of cheap villages.

The solution is simple, and it is ESO crowns, a store only currency that has no in-game value, trading or use. COTO are not the same as ESO crowns, as they are specifically designed to be the control on the gold economy and must be valued in cash or gold for that to work.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
    Time Lord likes this.
  4. 3devious

3devious Avatar

I voted no. If they introduced a payment plan it would be HELL NO. The way that most online entities handle commerce cause more than is acceptable to me to be siphoned off by a third party (credit card companies get the interest from pledges bought on credit) and payment plans provide that functionality at a cost the percentage of which would be unacceptable. I think it is sheet folly that I am participating in. It is my foolishness that I am free to indulge myself in.
    I can only say what I said when the question they've asked before (can offline players get all buildings and lots/do you accept the combat system?: 'No, but you're going to do it anyway.'

5. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

You don't have to like it but that is exactly the same model used to finance public radio, monthly pledges for a trinket. It is a biz model that works very well and is considered respectable when used for public radio. Even for those who can afford the lump sum it is a lot easier sell to say per month rather than per year pricing.

Patreon is very popular funding model for streamers and youtubers, and it is the exact same thing putting monthly layaway for the return of future entertainment trinkets or actions. The only difference is Portalairum has scaled it up from microtransactions to macrotransactions, because they recognize the value in taking more money from those willing to give it.

Now there is a valid arugment to be had that it influences the design of the content , just like someone who gives half a million dollars to NPR is going to expect to complain if someone says something bad or good about their political candidates and they can send that message by simply cancelling their payment plan.

So if you think about it a layaway plan gives you more control over the game, with a lump sum you are screwed if it changes, whereas with layaway you can protest by canceling. If enough do that then the devs wakeup and change their roadmap. It is in effect a subscription, just look at how ESO changed the nature of the game after they lost a lot of subs (for better or worse is a matter of opinion, but the fact is loss of subs within six to eighteen months of release changed the game)

6. mass

mass Avatar

Why would you subscribe to COTOs if you didn't want COTOs?:) Yes, mixing in other things with the subscription is not a good idea. It would have to be just be COTOs that would primarily sink out through the store.

Time Lord likes this.
  7. majoria70

majoria70 Avatar

I agree we should not be taking time to try to change someone's mind on this thread. It has gotten a thread that started out awesome turning to the usual battles. Can we get back on track please? This is important. People are fine as they are. We don't need to fix them. ;)

Verit, Time Lord and blaquerogue like this.
  8. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

But they would of course mix other things in - the more different things in a sub the more people you get with a sub. What if they offered the equivalent of the ESO craft bag? Only crafters would want it. What if they offered dungeons like ESO or DDO - of course only delvers want it. What if they did only COTO, of course only COTO traders want it. If they offer craft bag and dungeons and COTO they simply have more buyers for it so of course they would do it.

9. Tahru

Tahru Avatar

I have never successful changed a person's mind without being face to face. I love you and everything you do for this community.

Time Lord and majoria70 like this.
  10. mass

mass Avatar

That's something else entirely than providing a pathway to purchase things from the store in incremental payments.

11. yarnevk

yarnevk Avatar

I agree it is something different entirely and the only right way to do it is store only credit spend it on only what you want when you want and not giving any incentives. But when has they ever done anything without incentive items, even their funding prospectus has golden items in it! Even physical attendance at cons is about getting that incentive cloak (even to the point of people buying con tickets with no plan of going just to get the unique cloak!)

So I doubt they would ever do it as store credit to spend it on what you want, they throw in the goodies to get people to buy in as people will be asking for it. Which means throwing fairy wings and COTOs into your bag even if you did not want them.

Time Lord likes this.
  12. Burzmali

Burzmali Avatar

I vote no because Port's addiction to the high dollar nose candy has already damaged the game substantially, no need to give them a bigger straw.

13. Cypher Black

Cypher Black Avatar

Seriously, if Port is doing a Pirate theme, it should come with Tax Free POT Water Lots. That would be very unique and fitting.

Cypher Black

14. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

no not trolling, my experience with thier payment plan was i did not get anything until it was paid off.

Time Lord, Autumn Willow and Tahru like this.
  15. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yeah if i have it and i decide to go out to eat or something ill use what i have (within my financial ability) but this plan worked well for me i went from basic to knight marshal doing this and it worked out great. I mean personal decisions are just that personal. If you feel better saving it up and making a one lump sum payment that is your personal decision

Time Lord likes this.
  16. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

i dont even know why your posting here but to troll! have fun!

Time Lord likes this.
  17. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

yes you are right i got each tier as i added money so they didnt get free money. All of us who first started this game took a gamble on it, we gave money in hopes they would make a good game, and in turn we got trinkets which i was good with. I took the gamble no matter how responsible it was or not, but as an adult i made those decisions, on my own (didnt have someone telling me how to spend my money and automatically assuming i was irresponsible without even knowing me, i mean for all anyone knows i could be a millionaire, no money issues at all, but i am responsible enough to pitch something that most people can afford to do, not just the millionaire i may be!)

Time Lord likes this.
  18. blaquerogue

blaquerogue Avatar

OK so weve heard some of the "no" reasons, So now lets get into the "Yes" Reasons!

for me personally it worked great i spent less per month that i would've if i had just paid 1200$ straight out, which would've put me into a financial situation!
    So financially that was excellent responsible decision for me! Its not my place to tell you what is good or not good for you! :rolleyes:

Time Lord likes this.
  19. reuge

reuge Avatar

We could as easily charge it to our card in interest free payment up to 48months. Well, at least that option is available in my country. However, this option is not available to those with no credit card and bad credit history.

On a personal observation, there seem to be a correlation between bad credit history and bad spending habits.

For me, it's no difference. For those who wants it, it's their choice be it a bad choice as long as it makes them happy.

However, to prove you are a real supporter of the game, and want to see it happen. There can only be tithe.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2017
  20. Time Lord

Time Lord Avatar

Maybe only certain items could be done this way.
    ~Time Lord~:rolleyes:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.